N.B.S. ,, Experiance ?

the civil one

Reaction score
I was working on an NTX650 , slowly ,slowly , in my own way taking one step forward
and two steps back . With Additional recent commitments , and an even more recent
broken Elbow ,things have ground to a halt .
Soooo ,,, I have a couple of machines that are in need of finishing ,
one being the NTX , the other being a T3 i have one the Bench .
I was thinking of sending the NTX over to NBS to get her finished , as i dont see this
happeing anytime soon , Just this morning i notice i need an oil seal somewhere in the
Final drive , i didnt look .
So any experiance of NBS would be good , or similar outfits that would finish my
bike for now , but bikes in the future

The feedback of nbs I've heard is that he's generally very good but when he does make mistakes they are generally biggies. It's always made me wary.

I've used Nigel for three years, had no problems and always found him very helpful.
:beerjug:

My Bike.

Here's my experience. Guzzi Le Mans 2. To be ready by a given date as HUBBUK booked. About 15 weeks, was late and missed the meeting. To be done: dekoke heads, hone barrels, fit rings, gudgeon pins, barrels and heads. Fit discs and bearings to wheels and mount on bike. Fit overhaul kits to carbs, provide long brake hose and fill system, assemble exhaust, body and sundry parts. Paint body and rewire bike.

Faults: New, engraved frame badge missing, new plastic alterenator spacer missing, new tool tray missing, number plate mount missing. Washers for rocker covers missing. Washers for gearbox mounting studs missing. 2 grommets for side panel missing. Bike had been dismantled to remove, rare, gearbox and fit a different gearbox! Original was bare alloy, replacement silver painted. Bike ran rich, clutch assembly grub screw not tight, clutch out of adjustment. Nuts for centre stand fell off. Two screws from screen fell off. Both switchgear were loose. Throttle cables made throttle stick then one snapped. Tacho and speedo cables had no locking washers fitted and both came out of casings. Foot brake failed completely, nearly crashed on a left hander. Bled lots of air form rear brake cylinder, still a puzzle. Black is nearly shiney, far from satin finish and red is orange peel finish. Four helicoils had to be fitted to rocker, stripped thread blocked with copaseal! Bevel box leaks badly onto rear wheel. No washer on drain plug. The tacho cable pushed the one off flasher switch and a fuse blows! Mechanic looked at wiring and said, "Get it rewired". Cheap, self insulated connectors used. Bike stalled once and it was a wire off the back of ignition switch. Bike stops in heavy rain, not done that in previous 16 years of use. Now side panel badge rattles, oh and there's black overspray on one side panel.

When it is rewired and has all new cables I hope it runs well again.

Hm.

Here's my experience. Guzzi Le Mans 2. To be ready by a given date as HUBBUK booked. About 15 weeks, was late and missed the meeting. To be done: dekoke heads, hone barrels, fit rings, gudgeon pins, barrels and heads. Fit discs and bearings to wheels and mount on bike. Fit overhaul kits to carbs, provide long brake hose and fill system, assemble exhaust, body and sundry parts. Paint body and rewire bike.

Faults: New, engraved frame badge missing, new plastic alterenator spacer missing, new tool tray missing, number plate mount missing. Washers for rocker covers missing. Washers for gearbox mounting studs missing. 2 grommets for side panel missing. Bike had been dismantled to remove, rare, gearbox and fit a different gearbox! Original was bare alloy, replacement silver painted. Bike ran rich, clutch assembly grub screw not tight, clutch out of adjustment. Nuts for centre stand fell off. Two screws from screen fell off. Both switchgear were loose. Throttle cables made throttle stick then one snapped. Tacho and speedo cables had no locking washers fitted and both came out of casings. Foot brake failed completely, nearly crashed on a left hander. Bled lots of air form rear brake cylinder, still a puzzle. Black is nearly shiney, far from satin finish and red is orange peel finish. Four helicoils had to be fitted to rocker, stripped thread blocked with copaseal! Bevel box leaks badly onto rear wheel. No washer on drain plug. The tacho cable pushed the one off flasher switch and a fuse blows! Mechanic looked at wiring and said, "Get it rewired". Cheap, self insulated connectors used. Bike stalled once and it was a wire off the back of ignition switch. Bike stops in heavy rain, not done that in previous 16 years of use. Now side panel badge rattles, oh and there's black overspray on one side panel.

Hm.

He did a faithful reproduction of a new Guzzi then? :D

Hm.

But would you recommend him? :D

I would say that was a first class endorsement of this chaps services.

To me it smacks of serious underpricing because he's short of work then a better (paid) job turns up - or possibly just downright, old fashioned incompetance.

Yep.

Hi, yes, the gearbox had a cast on tube beneath it for swapping over brake and gear pedals. My guess is that this was fitted originally to V7 Sports but this was fitted Guzzi fashion into this Le Mans, left over stock no doubt. I would likely have agreed to a swap but was not asked and had put a hell of a lot of care into fitting the uj, drive shaft etc with loads of grease and oil. Oh, and one jubilee clip was missing from the gaiter, replace with two cable ties. I'd forgotten also that the fuel filler cap fell off and narrowly missed damaging paint. I just caught it as it hovered in the air flow (M25 second lane) It hadn't been fitted correctly to the S3 tank. Also the pickups for the electonic ignition were damaged, bike then fired on only one cylinder. A devil to diagnose. So that new ignition system had to be replace with yet another new system. I am not good at being assertive and choose to get the work done and bike going and move on. Bes thing is that the compression on both cyclinders is excellent so I can't wait. Have done 2,000km since end of last June, not out of choice. I am impatient to get practice again and regain my riding skills on the quirky beast.

Caio

And now, with engine apart to find why it heat seized twice, there's water damage to the right hand barrel. Either there prior to rebuild or caused by restoration. Either way it shouldn't have been used. Seems that use of 5W40 instead of my previous 10W40 causes massive overheating if run hard or filtered for long period. Sitting in Wales for a week or more while parts come from Stein Dinse. So that's three breakdown recoveries and one "holiday". Ciao.

Back
Top Bottom