Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Triumph Twin twinshock trials bike.

Hurry up
    KEA

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The motor is now in pretty good shape, any little adjustments will be easy to make with it in its new home, so let's liberate it shall we?

Hmm, heavy. Whose dumb idea was this anyway?

This frame is now rather redundant. All I need now is for the new one to be ready......

Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
    So, after stripping it down again to make sure everything was free, and that nothing could be binding when tightened up, I rebuilt it all. Same result. Can barely move the kickstart.
    Pulled the spark plugs and now I can move it, and there's a big fat spark at the plugs. Put them back in and same again, hardly turn it over. It's as though the compression has suddenly increased........
    There was a trial the next day, and I knew my Triumph mentor would be there. Fair play to him, he didn't laugh out loud when I told him of my predicament, simply smiled and asked if I'd thought about fitting a longer kickstart, made specially for trials engines with lowered primary gearing?
    Mark
    Have you thought of a spark plug decompressor valve? might be an option.

http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vi...tart-it-3.html
    ''Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men''

www.thektmforum.com for all your ktm needs

I got a message on Friday telling me that the frame kit was ready. Excited? You betcha!
    Rearranged my Saturday plans and headed down to Ludlow to collect it, two hours on roads that would have been far better on the bike, but I wasn't sure how well I could bungee the frame on!
    When Rob opened the unit door, there was a row of six frames still in bare metal, a black one, and my British Racing Green one. First thought was how stunning it looked, second how small! Its tiny! How am I going to get that big Triumph lump in there?
    No need to do any complicated loading, it fits straight in the back of the car. Lifting it in was a one handed affair, for now!

You can't see the exhaust, because it's on the front seat.

We had a chat for a while about various tips and tricks to get the whole bike together, and what other people have done. Then we compared notes on the Pre 65 trials scene in general, and the Scottish, before I set off back for home.

Denise was away that weekend, so I had plenty of time to myself. Might as well make a start then!

Gently lowering the engine between the frame rails was easy, if heavy.

The engine mounts on the frame are narrower than on the engine, which allows you to offset the engine slightly one way or the other if needed. I've gone for dead central to begin with. Blocking the mounts out with oversize nuts and washers is a temporary solution, once I am happy with the positioning I'll get some spacers made.

Little touches like the oil filler cap show the attention to detail, and makes me smile.

The oil pipes are a touch too long, but I'll see how it works before I shorten them.

Included in the kit is a bent throttle cable guide (centre of pic), because the standard Amal one will foul on the underside of the frame tube. Tapped the hole in the carb top out to take the new guide, and connected the inner cables before trying it in position.

Then I fastened the electrics in position on their brackets, as they were hanging down on the floor and were going to get damaged. Again, all the tabs are spaced perfectly.
    The exhaust was next, and I suppose I should have taken a photo before I put it on, but got carried away. I already had new clamps for the cylinder head, as the originals were in poor order. The system fits that closely to the engine it is a bit of a struggle to line them up, but once in place it looks fantastic!

Now I am waiting for parts.
    Mark

Lovely job. I usually lay the engine on its side and lower the frame over it.

Looking good

Shame to get it dirty

question for you

Back when this was built did they have 10 w 40 in motorcycles????

If not then what was in use then? Should be in it now

I have had more than one NUMPTY think it a good idea to use Fully synth in airheads, one used that total pish Zero W 5 and another used 5W30

to say that it PISHED out every where and sounded like an out of adjustment pair of Krauser heads would be an understatement!!!!

My Advice is to go with the "period" oil viscosity (Which may well be 10W40 Becuase I iz too young! )

Looking forward to more
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by DrFarkoff View Post
    question for you

Back when this was built did they have 10 w 40 in motorcycles????

If not then what was in use then? Should be in it now

I have had more than one NUMPTY think it a good idea to use Fully synth in airheads, one used that total pish Zero W 5 and another used 5W30

to say that it PISHED out every where and sounded like an out of adjustment pair of Krauser heads would be an understatement!!!!

My Advice is to go with the "period" oil viscosity (Which may well be 10W40 Becuase I iz too young! )

Looking forward to more
    I have a BSA using the same frame and the oil of the day was a straight 30W, some still recommend that since there's no filter (just a strainer) and the theory is that straight oils suspend particles. However I use 20W50 in that bike, mineral of course.

I'm guessing Mark will use a spin on filter if he can find room for it

Anyway, hurry up I can't wait to hear it
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post

Anyway, hurry up I can't wait to hear it
    Me neither! Unless some packages arrive for me this week, I might have to resort to firing it up on the work stand.
    Mark

Whilst waiting for other bits to arrive, I turned my attention to those that I had, that needed "modification". The carb is that close to the frame that a standard air filter won't fit. Taking an old, split intake boot from a TY gave me just enough angle to clear the downtube. The choke, or air valve, on the Amal was decreed redundant and removed. I blanked off the cable inlet with a bolt. The angled cable guide fitted earlier means a standard throttle cable inner is now too short, but that can be bodged with a screw on nipple. I bought a new clutch cable, longer than the kinked original, to fit trials bars. The inner was too long, so an extra adjuster was bodged on to make it work. Once I'm happy with everything, I'll get proper ones made up to length.

With the air filter in place I can now finalise the oil feed pipe run for the rockers, and then fit the brackets for the head steady. These were cut from 2 inch angle, so could stand some prettifying at a later date.
    A nice new shiny pair of Rockshocks have been under the bench since I ordered the frame.

The yokes that should have been with the frame finally arrived, and were fitted.

Now I can start on the pointy end. To keep the build costs down, I bought a second hand set of forks and wheels of a mate from the club. The forks were originally MZ, fitted with Montesa internals. They aren't pretty, but they work. There is room for improvement, which will be investigated further down the line. For the moment they do a good job of keeping the front end off the deck!

The wheels are from a Triumph Tiger Cub, which I have already put new bearings and tyres on.
    The fork brace was slightly narrower than required, nothing that a big hammer couldn't fix. Flattening the curvature slightly gave me the extra to make it work. Keeping to the theme of bodged cables, a TY front brake cable was almost perfect fit, if you count an inch too short as near perfect.

My garage faces the road, so I wanted to wheel the bike around the back to try it out, but
    the rear axle still hadn't arrived. I jacked the Whitehawk up and stole its rear wheel, axle and brake plate and stuck them in the back of the twin, along with an assortment of washers and spacers to get it in the right position. At least now it is mobile.
    With the fuel tank fastened down another problem showed up, the tap was at the wrong angle and wouldn't turn on. Easily sorted for the moment, unfasten the tank and lift it up!
    After a few kicks, a very lumpy twin grumbled into life. Adjusting the airscrew helped a little, but the freer flowing exhaust had affected the jetting. Tickover was ok, but the throtle had to be turned very gently to not stall. I was able to check that the oil was circulating, and I had a base to start from. The next days trial saw me with a list of questions for the experts.
    Mark

Not the best video ever:

Mark

Coming on nicely........

AND...We have a couple of those poxy blue plant pots.....I didn't buy ours, I bet you didn't buy yours......

I love this stuff, please keep it coming......

All this work to ride in to trees,
    Bushes,
    Rocks,
    Mud,
    other competitors,
    big holes and anything else that inconvieniently appears in front of you.
    Anything's better than doing the bloody garden.

Thanks.

The Whitehawk is still in you possession?

My mate has just put some REH forks in his C15

They are a work of art and work very well
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Quote Originally Posted by dean0n0 View Post
    All this work to ride in to trees,
    Bushes,
    Rocks,
    Mud,
    other competitors,
    big holes and anything else that inconvieniently appears in front of you.
    Anything's better than doing the bloody garden.

Thanks.

The Whitehawk is still in you possession?
    Spot on! And yes, I do still have a Whitehawk.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jonnie comet View Post
    Coming on nicely........

AND...We have a couple of those poxy blue plant pots.....I didn't buy ours, I bet you didn't buy yours......

I love this stuff, please keep it coming......
    I haven't a clue where that pot came from, but Denise planted chives in it!
    Mark

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast