Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Triumph Twin twinshock trials bike.

OMG - just come across this thread!
    It's looking fantastic Mark - cracking job

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    My mate has just put some REH forks in his C15

They are a work of art and work very well
    I have MP forks on mine and they're shite but at least comply with strict pre 65 criteria

I'm very impressed Mark, you're doing a great job wI'll pop over next week for a gander
    KEA

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    REH are eligible for pre65 and they're great

Not cheap though
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Not cheap though
    On my "wish" list, along with a few other bits. Concentrating on bringing this in as a competitive bike within a budget.
    Thanks for the kind words folks.
    Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

Great thread Mark taking me back to when i used to work on those engines myself, great motors.

Reference the plate on top of the gearbox cover. A situation could arise where one of the
    gearchange pawls got jammed in the selector plate stopping the cover being removed and
    it was one way round the problem to do what has been done to yours allowing access to push the pawl back.
    The reason for the jamming was, that the pawls were retained by a split pin which could wear away and let go,
    so allowing the pawl aided by it's spring to pop up through the selector plate stopping the end cover coming off to repair
    the now not working gearchange mechanism.

Looking forward to further installments

Not cheap though
    Yes I know that but they cost more than many complete twin shock bikes
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by UturnTony View Post
    Great thread Mark taking me back to when i used to work on those engines myself, great motors.

Reference the plate on top of the gearbox cover. A situation could arise where one of the
    gearchange pawls got jammed in the selector plate stopping the cover being removed and
    it was one way round the problem to do what has been done to yours allowing access to push the pawl back.
    The reason for the jamming was, that the pawls were retained by a split pin which could wear away and let go,
    so allowing the pawl aided by it's spring to pop up through the selector plate stopping the end cover coming off to repair
    the now not working gearchange mechanism.

Looking forward to further installments
    Fantastic Tony, that makes sense!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Yes I know that but they cost more than many complete twin shock bikes
    I know - he showed me the bill and it was in the teens
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Well the trial wasn't the most sucessful as far as riding goes. I dropped the Tiger Cub in a stream in the second section and drowned it. (and me!) Thankfully ten minutes of kicking with the plug out cleared it and I was able to finish.
    As far as the Twin goes though, I came away with plenty to work with. First off a couple of ideas to try, and second an order for some bigger jets from Amal.
    Before I got chance to look at this, my rear axle arrived, so first job was to put its own wheel in instead of the Whitehawk's. A rummage through my spares boxes turned up a handfull of spacers to fix the wheel in a roughly central position, to be finalised when we see how the chain runs.

An old torque arm off a TY was shortened and pressed into service, and a cable adjuster bodged to hold the cable on the rear brake arm.
    The second hand Tiger Cub wheel came with a nearly new 48 tooth sprocket, so this was my starting point for gearing. I have various old runs of chain which were good enough to experiment with, so cut one to the right length and fastened everything together.

With an idle five minutes I fastened the mudguards on. The alloy ones look fantastic, but don't crash as well as plastic, so a pair of white Universal were bolted in position. These may get swapped for better looking ones in the future, depending on my mood.

I will get the front brake cable sorted, honest!

The new jets had arrived, so I put the next size up, a 160, in and wheeled it outside to try. This was much better, but still hesitant just off tickover. I put the 170 in and with a bit of tweaking on the air screw got it to nigh on perfect.
    A quick celebratory blast up the farm track and it sounds glorious, with an evil cackle on the over run. Very un-trials bike like!
    Unfortunately the gearing is too high, so next on the shopping list is a 54 tooth sprocket!
    Mark

I'm liking the look of that Mark and a tad envious i might say; I bet your made up with it

That engine was fitted from new, as you probably know, with the Amal Monobloc carbs which, tbh i prefer;
    I never did seem to get on with the MK1 concentric carbs.

That engine was fitted from new, as you probably know, with the Amal Monobloc carbs which, tbh i prefer;
    I never did seem to get on with the MK1 concentric carbs.

That's interesting, when I raced grass track bikes (in younger days!!) all bikes would have concentric carbs if they'd originally had monoblocs
    KEA

That's interesting, when I raced grass track bikes (in younger days!!) all bikes would have concentric carbs if they'd originally had monoblocs
    I didn't mean they were no good just that I didn't have much luck getting them right which is probably more a reflection on my skills than the carbs

I didn't mean they were no good just that I didn't have much luck getting them right which is probably more a reflection on my skills than the carbs
    Yes, they're a bit crude to say the least although I had one on my last Triumph twin I'm sure a Mikuni would have been much better.

Anyway Mark, watch you don't dent that tank
    KEA

Anyway Mark, watch you don't dent that tank
    It's ok, the panel beater kept the tools he made to straighten the last one.
    Mark

There's a guy on Facebook makes custom front number boards for trials bikes.

This is the view I should see most of, although as Tim will no doubt suggest, I do see far more of my bikes from a distance..

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by earthmover View Post

This is the view I should see most of, although as Tim will no doubt suggest, I do see far more of my bikes from a distance..

So harsh, although I am looking forward to seeing the underside on the steep sections

You've done a great job Mark, best looking Triumph I've seen in a long time
    KEA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast