950 SM High Speed Wobble

Sylvester

Reaction score
I have a 2005 950 SM which on the whole is an "interesting" motorcycle. Love it to bits except two things, it wobbles like a bastard above 160kph and at lower rpm in the last two gears it feels like the mains are shot it shudders that much. Spin it up and its fine but it would be great to be able to plod about sometimes.
I have checked the head/wheel and swinging arm bearings (all new and adjusted). Forks and shock in good fettle. Tyres new. Love it to bits as its comfortable fast and handles well. For the roads around the Eifel national park its perfect. Get it on the motorway and the wobble feels it could end badly. Grip the tank with your knees and "just" hold the bars and its better but you still need the whole lane occasionally. I was thinking of fitting a steering damper. Anyone tried one or know of a kit that fits?

Drop the forks through the yolks will help stabilize the front end, also I found firming the suspension all round to sport settings helped. A lot of the front end wobble can come from the back.
They will always be lively ,but you should be able to have the bike pinned and still be in control.
Regards the last two gears shuddering, they don't do pottering in a high gear-no KTM i have ridden does. You can drop a tooth at the front sprocket , but best to run in a lower gear at higher revs.
Brilliant bikes.

Even my more modern 1190 engine is a bit clanky below 4,000rpm in higher gears, below 60mph it is better to use 5th to keep things smooth.

I have a 2005 950 SM which on the whole is an "interesting" motorcycle. Love it to bits except two things, it wobbles like a bastard above 160kph and at lower rpm in the last two gears it feels like the mains are shot it shudders that much. Spin it up and its fine but it would be great to be able to plod about sometimes.
I have checked the head/wheel and swinging arm bearings (all new and adjusted). Forks and shock in good fettle. Tyres new. Love it to bits as its comfortable fast and handles well. For the roads around the Eifel national park its perfect. Get it on the motorway and the wobble feels it could end badly. Grip the tank with your knees and "just" hold the bars and its better but you still need the whole lane occasionally. I was thinking of fitting a steering damper. Anyone tried one or know of a kit that fits?

Did you replace the tyres with the same type/manufacturer or was it weaving before they were replaced?

WTF has that got to do with the OP's problem? :blast

If I'd put my mates S10 fell off its side stand- thenyou may have had a point....

As it was, I mentioned a bike from the same manufacturer which suffered a similar problem, I mentioned a directly related cause.
If I'd had more time, I may have noted that I did a fair bit of research at the time to learn about the cause and seek a possible solution. None found a total cure and in fact Ktm at the time in the states fix a label to the PANNIERS warning not to exceed 160kmh, not sure if it's only USA.

Just sayin' like....

And the lumpy low down? Lower gear

Thanks chaps. Tyres are new and wheels balanced. Everything is aligned. Tried adjusting the suspension. I think it is more obvious because of the lack of speed limits on the autobahn, I can keep it totally pinned. Above 200 kph it can be just F$cking scarey. I have had my share of problems but most were my fault as I bought the bike without really looking. A bit like the lord of the rings............shiney........come to me my beauty. So far, new water pump, new starter sprag, new clutch slave cylinder, new battery.........erm, new engine (but that's another story). All in the first year. Still love it! Done the air box mod/Leo Vince pipes/rejet. Goes well, handles fab and most important for me, never runs out of tyres or ground clearance unless I'm really dumb.

And the lumpy low down? Lower gear

Low revs in 5th & 6th I read that

My answer would be check how many teeth are being run on the front sprocket

I dropped one tooth on the front sprocket on my 950 SMR and it made the bike feel much nicer :thumb

Back
Top Bottom