Nav V end of my tether.

GSD Dad

Reaction score
I got a message on my Mac saying there was a map update so off we went and plugged the brick in. Half a lifetime later we get a red bar on Garmin express saying there was an error, no explanation of said error and a message underneath saying we're up to date.

Checking the unit I find I have only northern Europe, I need Spain and Portugal. I try an empty SD card and do it again same result, the Mac sees the SD card but obviously the brick isn't. In days gone by it asked me if I wanted the maps on the SD card but not any more.

In desperation I used SWMBO's laptop with Windoze 10 and get exactly the same result.

Prior to a launch up the garden what can I try?

Delete and download afresh Garmin Express and / or map installer.

Interestingly on another thread this was heresy! I have found that Garmin Express often causes such problems and that re installing the latest version appears to solve most problems. I don't know is Express is what Macs use but if it is re load it (or whatever Macs use) first, throwing the device will only give you fleeting pleasure, sorting the problem might be a better solution. Good luck.

John

I could have written your thread! The exact same thing happened over the weekend. Tried the download again - same result. 'You are up to date' but the red bar at the top seemed to suggest something else.

I re-formatted the sd card, did a reinstall of Garmin Express and bingo. All sorted.:thumb

As an aside, how does one check which maps are installed?
I had Europe North & South last time I looked, forgot how to do it now. There's been a map update since so I'd like to check.

Ok been there with the last map update. Couldn't get it to work with the Mac, got onto Garmin, they talked me through removing express from the mac and all its bits from the system fold and library etc. No joy. In the end I took it up to my son who has a PC and it all installed. Didn't get any option like I used to about where the maps should sit i.e. sd card or memory, it just did it. That was the big update a couple of months ago. Yesterday I did the latest update, which took all of 45 mins and was fine on the Mac.

A clean install of Garmin Express on a PC has restored all the maps despite getting the red error bar again. Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have noticed that my Mac displays regular announcements of updates to Garmin Express being available to download. I just install them and, touch wood, everything seems to work fine.

I too use a Mac laptop. Updated the maps (both North & South) to both device and laptop last night. No problems or hitches. Seemless

In response to post #5:
On the satnav screen you tap "Settings"
Then "Maps & Navigation"
Then scroll down to "myMaps" and select that

It lists the maps loaded on the device there

Alternatively, if the device is connected to your computer, then if you fire up Basecamp and click on "Maps" on the top toolbar, it lists the maps for both the computer and the device

Cheers for the info,
i started a thread on this and got no where,despite some good advice,,
Never had an issue before using mac,,
Garmin run through uninstall express etc , and i tried map installer,
Clean re install of express on mac etc, still only norh europe loaded,
updated 2 garmin nuvi since with full europe no issues ???
I have formatted the sd and loaded express to a borrowed wintows laptop,
The process is running much longer than the mac re load of maps,
So fingers crossed,,
Roamer,

I think there was an issue with the last but one express update for Mac, although Garmin would never admit it. To completely uninstall express you need to remove it, then go to the system and library folders on the mac and get rid of all the garmin express files manually. I did this on the advice of Garmin. You then get a clean install. But after all that, in the end had to revert to a PC to load the map update. The very latest update went ok on the Mac. If you subscribe to the garmin forums, there is loads of advice about map updates, the North and South thing was both PC and Mac, garmin sorted this out a few days after the map update, so when I eventually did mine, it was all good

I have noticed that my Mac displays regular announcements of updates to Garmin Express being available to download. I just install them and, touch wood, everything seems to work fine.

Never seen such things on any of my machines (1 PC and 2 laptops) You Mac boys are the chosen ones!

John

There was an update to Express on the Mac a couple of weeks ago before the map update came along, I'll use Time Machine to restore the MacBook to previous.

There was an update to Express on the Mac a couple of weeks ago before the map update came along, I'll use Time Machine to restore the MacBook to previous.

I have the latest update to express on my mac and the very latest update when without a hitch. The issue was the big map update before it, that split Europe into North and South

I have the latest update to express on my mac and the very latest update when without a hitch. The issue was the big map update before it, that split Europe into North and South

I agree totally Casbar, at the time of the split Express came up with an insufficient memory error and it was cured with adding a 32gb card. I have run at least 1 map update since and Express asked if I wanted to use the sd card and did so without issue, so why not this update? Nothing physically has changed on either my Mac or Nav V except an update to Garmin Express.

I agree totally Casbar, at the time of the split Express came up with an insufficient memory error and it was cured with adding a 32gb card. I have run at least 1 map update since and Express asked if I wanted to use the sd card and did so without issue, so why not this update? Nothing physically has changed on either my Mac or Nav V except an update to Garmin Express.

My experience was different, with the big update that I never got to work with the Mac, on the PC it didn't ask me if I wanted to put the maps on the device or sd card, it just did it. The latest update, again it didn't ask me, just went and loaded them. So I have no idea what the thing is doing, all I know is I have all the maps and everything works :)

I´ve got the same issue. Can see that the maps are installed, but cannot see them.

Going home to reset all, and reinstall using a pc instead of the mac.

Wish me luck! This has been weeks of pain and arguments with BMW and Garmin.

Back
Top Bottom