New Tyre Time!

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah I know this has been covered in the past and I've looked at old threads on the subject but they are old threads now. Tyres have moved on. I'm after some ROAD ONLY sticky tyres to go on standard 1150 GS spoked wheels. Not interested in knobbly ones or 50/50 types. So, what's new in the sticky tyre world? Any recommendations from those that have used them? :nenau

A few people have recommended the michelin pilot road 4, but ive not used them myself. i have to use a dual sport type of tyre otherwise i might not get to costa if theres a light shower.

I'm on my second set of PR4s. This second set are close to needing a change, but so far roughly 9k miles on the rear. About 11k on the front.

I've been impressed with them keeping their profile as the rear has done two return trips to Italy without becoming so flattened that it makes riding the bike a pain (and therefore changing them before all the useful tad has gone).

Whilst I like the look of the 'dual sport' tyres, I'll be back onto a set of PR4s soon.

Pr4; excellent grip wet or dry reasonable tyre life, quiet and stable. Happy with them.

Or Avon Trailrider 90/10% road tyre, next set to try out

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Tyes

Hi Chap, I fitted Bridgestone BT20/23 (I think) to my original wheels, but these may be superseded now, however they were excellent and tended not to square off as the compound is harder in the centre. I then fitted RT wheels with dunlop sport tyres on, great roadholding but doesn't feel as "natural" as standard wheel sizes so I'm going back to original wheels and tyre type, last ones I had were original tourances which were good but, as OP says , anything newer, better, stickier to try? Cheers:beerjug:John B

As above bt023's in the past and now Bridgestone t30 on the front and a T30evo on the rear.

I've just had Bridgestone A40 fitted to mine. They ride like a road tyre with no noise but with the added advantage of a few mm extra depth of tread. Fantastic tyre and roll in very smoothly with very little effort, grip seems to be as good as it needs to be to get to the edge of the tyre without drama.
Most modern tyres will be better than either you or the bike.

What prices are people being charged?
Just been quoted £376 for roadtec01 fitted inc vat seems a lot to me?

PR4's on my 1150 GSA which are an excellent tyre - hard in the middle and soft on the sides.

Have a set in the loft for the 1200 GSA which will be going on very shortly.

Great tyre :thumb2

Avon trailrider looks good at 220 ish 0r roadtec01 if I can find at a good price metz 376 fitted too bloody much I think.

What prices are people being charged?
Just been quoted £376 for roadtec01 fitted inc vat seems a lot to me?
Way too much. Got a quote this morning from Protyre in N London. Fitted, all in, they want £265.

That's for PR4 Trail

I'll be heading over there to get mine fitted within this month, once I get the tpms sensors in so they can be fitted while the tyres are off.

I've had 3 sets of PR4's on my Rockster and while they do indeed grip well in the wet as well as the dry, on merely damp roads I have had the front wash out quite a few times.....only the front, never the rear.
I know there not what your after but since fitting the GS wheels I've been using Tourances and really rate them.....£70 a pair cheaper fitted as well.

Avon Trailrider, brilliant tyre, the PR4's were great for the first 3k and absolutely shite once half worn, especially if you like to twist the throttle a bit.

trail attacks for me sticky on the road no chicken strips, don't do a lot of off road but handy when doing a bit wild camping.

Thanks everyone. :thumb2 Think I'm gonna go for a pair of Conti Road Attack 2 Evo's. Depending on cost obviously. :D
I'll let you know how they feel. :thumb
Thanks again. :clap

Been quoted £230 fitted for conti road attack 2 evo. Booked it in! :thumb2

If the question had been "which are the worst tyres" I'm not sure there are any nowadays. I've used Michelin and now Avon and both are better than I will ever be.

One thing to remember. The tyres do their thing but you feel the effects through the shock and if that''s worn out the tyre will still feel shite.

Back
Top Bottom