First ktm

gebrauchtwagen83

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I don't want to count my chickens because I've not collected it yet but on Monday I pick up my first ktm, a 2009 990 adventure. After years of various bikes mostly gs's I'm giving it a go!

I have two 690s and they're great. I ride the Duke almost daily and prefer it for most of the riding I do to my XR. They have a certain edge to them which is great fun.

I expect it to be the dogs bollocks.
Nah I'm aware of its limitations ...fuelling etc. Ive enjoyed riding them so having one

I ran two 990 Advs, a used 2006 & a new 2010.

Lights terrible (fit aux), throttle action too quick for our crap bumpy roads (fit tamer), twin fillers a PITA, brakes weak, dealer service costs high, tubed tyres, a bit under-whelming 2-up with luggage. You can therefore deduce the reasons for KTM updating the breed a few years later & fixing most of the issues I experienced.......& some. Solo, with the suspension set up just right, along with a few important farkles & you will enjoy it enormously on road, even more on off-road trails.

Going to drop the oil and put some decent stuff in. Quick question, the manual says you need to take the left tank off, is this the case or is it being over cautious.

Going to drop the oil and put some decent stuff in. Quick question, the manual says you need to take the left tank off, is this the case or is it being over cautious.

Technically yes you need to take the left hand tank off, however they change shape while 'at rest' so can be a right pain in the arse to get back on, however, draining the oil is a really messy job if you don't take the tank off, unless of course you do this ..... My oil / filter changes take me 10 minutes! ;)

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...re-oil-tank-drain-mod?highlight=oil+drain+mod

Back
Top Bottom