Thread: Puig levers (clutch)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    N.E Scotland / Middle of the sand pit....

Puig levers (clutch)

I had a (quick shift specific) Puig clutch lever fitted today and I appear to have lost the ability to down-shift without using the clutch lever.

Anybody else had this issue and can anyone cast any light on what may have caused this?
    Leasky

You've either lost the lever cam, or you've damaged the micro switch on the cluster.

Would be my guess

Al
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Graham Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I agree , it's easy to mess up the micro switch,

So many issues with cheap aftermarket levers messing with the quickshifter/ cruise control. HP levers all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    So many issues with cheap aftermarket levers messing with the quickshifter/ cruise control. HP levers all the way.
    Cant agree more with this statement, Ive got the HP ones on my GSA and they really are spot on, over the years Ive come across many threads with people asking about levers in general or moaning about sloppy play in there aftermarket levers, nobody ever seems to mention the BMW HP levers, I had exactly the same on my old twin cam GSA, in fact I sold those levers on here, and when the forum member received them, he messaged me to say he didn't realise they were genuine BMW(even though id stated it) or that they even made them, there a perfect fit/swap every time and for me transform the braking and use of the clutch

I bought a really cheapie set from ebay when I fitted them I had the same problem the bike thought the clutch lever was slightly pulled
    chucked them then bit the bullet and bought the HP ones

Fitted in 10 mins and problem solved
    Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not puting it in a fruit salad

HP levers ordered.

Lesson learned......
    Leasky

Quote Originally Posted by leasky View Post
    HP levers ordered.

Lesson learned......
    you wont regret it

Had the proper BMW HP levers fitted to my XR this morning by the local BMW Stealer in Aberdeen. The HP clutch lever has vertical "play" which the original lever did not have. Is this normal?

The actual lever is now so far away from my fingers that I am almost unable to grasp it without having to first readjust my hand on the grip. I take an XL in gloves, so it's not as if I have small hands.

The mechanic (who I assume was on a day off from school judging my his age) said the classic line of "Oh yes, they are all like that".

Can anyone cast any light on this?

I feel that I have just wasted £330 and would have been better off sticking with the original levers.
    Leasky

Anyone able to cast any light on the above post?
    Leasky

Colin - measure the depth of the bush on each lever - I have to assume they are equal? I don't think there were any washers with the original lever.

The HP levers are adjustable, so may need some trimming with the lever/thumbwheel (can't remember what they have). Also - check the adjustment of the cable wheel on the cable-side of the pivot.

Don't adjust the lever too close to the grip - otherwise when fully pulled in..... the clutch plates may be dragging slightly. That would be manifested by clunking/chain snatch on engaging 1st, and when on the centre stand - rear wheel turning when clutch pulled in.

Al
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Thanks Al. 👍
    Leasky

After much buggering about with BMW UK, I had by bike looked at by the Lead Technician at John Clark Dundee this morning and it turns out that the BMW HP clutch lever fitted by John Clark Aberdeen had been machined incorrectly.

New lever fitted and feels as solid as it should be.
    Leasky