Searching in Basecamp

There again, John, several guests in your hotel failed to locate it as their GPS device sent them to an island in the Mediterranean. Some things not even Garmin can allow for. Good to know that Garmin had the hotel pinpointed correctly, either way.

Back on track:

Just out of boredom, I asked BaseCamp to search for British postcodes. It found them all with remarkable reliability. For my own central London postcode that covers 17 properties, it displayed property number one and, separately, number 17.

Nobody got that lost! I think (apart from being a sarcastic bastard) you forget that you are an expert on the use of Basecamp and Garmin devices. Not everyone is and I think my point about being able to locate many places that already are marked on the Garmin database is valid in the context of this thread.

As for defending the search facility in Basecamp, I think you have lost the plot. Basecamp can obviously made to work but not many users would claim its search facility is anything but flawed.

John

It was you that told us the story about Malta. But hey, what the hell, who really cares.

I must admit that Basecamp took a little getting used to but now I prefer it to Mapsource. I like the cloud storage so I can work on / update routes on laptop or desktop and I also find the search facility to be fine.

My one tip with searching for UK addresses is not to put in too much detail. Just the postcode or the name of the hotel or whatever it is you are looking for (preferably whilst the map is is displaying the rough area or region) seems to work for me most of the time.

Matt

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I agree Monty. The experimental post code searches I made in BaseCamp on my Mac had no other detail added, just the postcode, set out in the standard way.

When making the seven Portugal routes, it found some pretty obscure towns and villages without too much trouble. If it's a 'Mac only' quality, then I really cannot complain.

Not a mac only quality, it just takes a little learning, is it better than google, the answer would be a No. but for a stand alone piece of software that needs no external input (the internet or cel) it does very well.

Scorp888 your example above for the hotel Hunters lodge, basecamp actually gives the coordinates as N54' 59.720 W3' 03.854 which if you look on google maps street view is right at the entrance to the drive of the hotel. seems acurate enough to me.

In this case it is, but as it's not showing the POI, you have to check, which kind of defeats the object of searching in basecamp. Hence the check in google maps to confirm.
I can see why people plan in google maps and then come back.

In this case it is, but as it's not showing the POI, you have to check, which kind of defeats the object of searching in basecamp. Hence the check in google maps to confirm.
I can see why people plan in google maps and then come back.

Sorry To disagree but it does show a POI at the location and as you can see its at the same long/lat. Do you have the latest maps.

Attachments

• 18-04-2017 13-15-38.jpg
    18-04-2017 13-15-38.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 192
Sorry To disagree but it does show a POI at the location and as you can see its at the same long/lat. Do you have the latest maps.

I have/had the latest maps at the time. I've got a custom poi there, and I can now see the same poi as you, however searching for "Hunters" wasn't showing it, but Hunters Cockermouth. It's now interestingly showing 2, the poi and the yelp poi.
Weird as it's not a new hotel.

This was also just an example. I just wish I could pay for a google maps/garmin lookup plugin, so if it couldn't find it, it would use google maps. I guess it won't happen as Garmin own their own maps and are in effect a competitor to google.

Google is worth roughly $ 102,650,332,250 i doubt very much that they will be bothered about the competition from Garmin's maps or there below par places search engine. But I will say that i have yet to find anything that is better than google for searching.
For the time being while i am out and about and can not get cel or internet i will continue to use garmin.

Google is worth roughly $ 102,650,332,250 i doubt very much that they will be bothered about the competition from Garmin's maps or there below par places search engine. But I will say that i have yet to find anything that is better than google for searching.
For the time being while i am out and about and can not get cel or internet i will continue to use garmin.

I'm sure Google would be happy for garmin to add google search to basecamp.

I can't see garmin doing it...

So to summarise:

1. Some people get on OK with the search function

2. Some people don't get on with the search function

3. Some people who do get on with the search function, do think it could still be better

4. Some people wish they owned a Google enabled device and / or that Garmin's devices and software linked to Google

5. Some people can find some things that other people can't but then they can

6. Some people think or know it's all better in Mapsource

7. Some people think or know it's all better in Open Street Maps, unless you are looking for a post code, which is an absolute non starter. But as postcodes are really only any good in the UK (and I guess maybe in some other places on the planet) it's no great loss.

One more thing on this... I often use the smartphone link with my Nav V and this is great for searching destinations and transferred them across to the unit.

I have found several places that don't exist in the Garmin database using this method. Easy to do at home or by the roadside, for example when I needed to find a bike dealer in Italy to do some emergency repairs.

Matt

One more thing on this... I often use the smartphone link with my Nav V and this is great for searching destinations and transferred them across to the unit.

I have found several places that don't exist in the Garmin database using this method. Easy to do at home or by the roadside, for example when I needed to find a bike dealer in Italy to do some emergency repairs.

Matt

thats a good point for the people who have a later device with smart link technology and a suitable phone.

So to summarise:

1. Some people get on OK with the search function

2. Some people don't get on with the search function

3. Some people who do get on with the search function, do think it could still be better

4. Some people wish they owned a Google enabled device and / or that Garmin's devices and software linked to Google

5. Some people can find some things that other people can't but then they can

6. Some people think or know it's all better in Mapsource

7. Some people think or know it's all better in Open Street Maps, unless you are looking for a post code, which is an absolute non starter. But as postcodes are really only any good in the UK (and I guess maybe in some other places on the planet) it's no great loss.

8. Some people can't resist summarising posts.

9. Other people would rather chat in a forum about it...

Matt

It's a great point, I thought it was only foursquare, but appears to be more than that!

Back
Top Bottom