1290 Boys have...

I rode that one at Premier Bikes as well, there was a warning on the dash when I was using it, and a "Master Fail" as Darren was starting it up.

Great bike, really like it, then I rode an nice 3 yr old 1190 Adv at half the price. That's where my money's going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brakes don't have the initial bite of something like the XR, there's more 'modulation' to them.
They are still plenty powerful enough though when you give a squeeze and the better feel makes them perfect on shitty surfaces/off road.
It was one of the things that first struck me on the bike but on balance I now prefer them like that as there is so much feel to them.
Andres

I noticed straight away that the 1190 brakes didn't have the bite of the old Hexhead GS. It's no big deal really, and one of the very few areas that the GS is better IMO.

I removed mine, plugged the hose from the vacuum pump and extended the tank vent to the floor instead by removing the T-piece in the pipe, removing the canister does allow some additional Space.

Thanks.

Although this video related to a 2014 SD, it does give some helpful guidance. However, the SA also has a vent pipe going from the tank filler cap, as mentioned, to the charcoal evaporate cannister, as can be seen from the parts list fiche named Evaporate Canister (enter your bike details).

I guess that you could connect a ScottOiler to the hose exiting the vacuum valve.

Brakes don't have the initial bite of something like the XR, there's more 'modulation' to them.
They are still plenty powerful enough though when you give a squeeze and the better feel makes them perfect on shitty surfaces/off road.
It was one of the things that first struck me on the bike but on balance I now prefer them like that as there is so much feel to them.
Andres

The brakes on the XR on OE pads are one of my dislikes of the XR they are very "grabby" until they have heat in them and not a great deal of progressive feel
I will be putting some brembo pads in soon as they improved the GSA in the feel dept so hope they do the same

Fortunately the brakes do stop the bike very well when needed though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arsey rode that bike last week, he must have broken it! :D

There were no issues on the one I rode; the only thing that surprised me was that the brakes weren't anywhere near as good as on my XR, despite being the same Brembo set up. I'm sure that once it's got some miles on the clock, and everything is bedded in, they'll be fine.

I thoroughly enjoyed my brief test ride on it, and am looking forward to getting some trips away planned over the summer.

Not me. It was faultless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great bike, really like it, then I rode an nice 3 yr old 1190 Adv at half the price. That's where my money's going.

Puts things into perspective, much as I would love the improvements of the new bike, my 1190 is a very good bit of kit, the Cruise is what I desire the most, but with a £5k trade up I can do without.

Hope you like the 1190 as much as I do.

Hope you like the 1190 as much as I do.

I've no doubt I will.

Don't get me wrong, if I did have the money to spare I would get the 1290, and I'm sure the fellas that do will enjoy them.

I'm also reflecting on whether I'd ever buy another GS, and right now I think the answer has to be no. (Unless it was an airhead to do up).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got my 1190 booked in for a service, a recall job and a warranty job but when they offered me a choice of loan bikes I said I wouldn't be bothering because not only am I weak willed but I still like the 1190 so I'd sooner avoid the temptation.

Back
Top Bottom