help needed with loading maps onto a nav v

This thread is now going all over the place.

If you want to post me your Nav V, along with one brand new (still in its packet) decent make SD card of say 16gb, I'll have a go at installing your maps for you from my Mac. I have done three, so I'm prepared to have a crack at another.

Failing that, I am happy to sell you a Nav V, fully functional with the latest Europe North and Europe South maps, fully installed on its SD card and functioning.

Richard

Its not really going all over the place, I'm still having the same problem I was at the start,
your offer is great but in the mean time I may try to rename the Europe north maps , see if that sorts it, I need it next week for Easter, but after that I may take you up on the offer if its not sorted .

Like you i tried everything on my computer removing express etc, despite it easily updating other devices no issues, and updating the nav 5 twice before, loading south using map installer caused a start up issue,
If you can try another computer and load express fresh with a clean formatted good quality sd, thats the only thing that worked for me and a few others,,
i borrowed a laptop that hadn't had express on before, the map split has caused some of us issues, No idea why, but this loaded both north and south dem and 3D , automatically no issues ,
Good offer Wapping,
Roamer,

Can someone please list the 2018 NT maps that should be installed for all of Europe on a NAV 5. I dont have any separate NORTH or SOUTH maps listed is this wrong?

Ian

As listed in my maps;
CN Europe Ntu All South 2018.10
CN Europe Ntu All North 2018.10
Europe DEM
CN Europe Ntu 2018.10 3D,
This is the working current version,,
South wouldnt load before, no matter what i tried, it wouldn't use the memory card as extra capacity,
The maps for france only showed major roads when south was missing
Roamer

As listed in my maps;
CN Europe Ntu All South 2018.10
CN Europe Ntu All North 2018.10
Europe DEM
CN Europe Ntu 2018.10 3D,
This is the working current version,,
South wouldnt load before, no matter what i tried,
The maps for france only showed major roads when south was missing
Roamer

Thankyou.

I have re-installed the maps and have all of these except Europe DEM. Im not sure how I can get this?

Ian

It may run ok, i just zoomed into differentt country areas to check detail, i have 2 0ther garmin nuvi and a neighbours that i update with no issues, not sure if its a firmware issue on the nav 5 ian,

Thankyou.

I have re-installed the maps and have all of these except Europe DEM. Im not sure how I can get this?

Ian

You do not need the DEM map. All it is is the infill shading for the 3D map. It has no relevance for running a route or its calculation. You have to purposely select the 3D mapping, if you want to use it.

Thanks all. I did have 3d map selected and it all seems to work ok. Still not sure why Garmin Express doesn't install ALL of the files?
By 3d do you mean buildings etc? I have never seen these on my Nav and would like to try sometime but I cannot see any option with Garmin Express to add this extra information.

Ian

3D (buildings etc) is just what it sounds like, a 3D representation of the world on a 1D screen. It usually comes in automatically with the map updates. It is backed by the DEM map (which should also come in automatically) which adds shading to the map to represent, hills, mountains, valleys and all that sort of stuff.

The DEM / 3D is fairly memory hungry, as of course the 3D world changes as you hoon along. When the early incarnations of the 660 appeared, they struggled to navigate routes when confronted by poor satellite signals. Alpine valleys were bad, as some on here will remember. An official Garmin 'fix' was to turn off and / or delete the 3D maps and the DEM map. Garmin then went on to mend the signal acquisition and retention problem, via an update. This left the 660 as many bods' 'Device of choice' in the GPS stakes, a position it still retains in many quarters.

I had pretty much the same problem,
I have registered my device on my garmin, using express for updates,
Using mac with no issues previously the update only loaded europe north, re load failed,
Tried re installing express, master re set, loading south on to sd no joy,

Ended up borrowing a windows laptop and loading express, formatted the sd card clean,
It worked perfectly,full europe now working,, maps loaded to the sd
north and south are now split, plus 3D on the 2018.10 version all in one update,
This method was used by a fellow tosser posted on another thread,

It just seems to be the nav v, i updated other garmins to full europe no issues on my mac that wouldnt work on the nav v ??

Roamer

Hi Roamer, which was the other thread?

When I went last night to reclaim my GPS from BMW, to be fair they admitted 100% it was their problem and asked for 24 hours to try and resolve it...hopefully following your steps!

It appears the cure might be to remove GE & all it's associated files from the computer & not just the program itself before installing the latest version. Hopefully Garmin will supply some instructions on the correct deletion method.
A search on Google or Garmin's forums will show the method of total removal

Garmin guided me through the un install of express , it still wouldnt load,
it appears the sd isnt being used to load south on some mchines as not enough internal memory,, ?.
From my limited experience, using a clean memory card and different computer wiorked,
Exactly why it did it is beyond my computer skills, good luck,,
Roamer,

Thanks to all.

Just spoke to the guy at BMW. He just reinstalled the maps using his PC - as opposed to my Mac - and it has worked.

A month of pain...

At least it will work when I head south tomorrow!

Great. Now, how's the OP getting on?

I've not had a chance to try anything else yet, been busy, I'm sure I'll find a solution at some point.
I'm sort of glad that there appears to be many more people having trouble with installing new mapping,

Great. Now, how's the OP getting on?

Interestingly I use Mac and have a security/firewall installed on it and when i did the latest map update it kept sticking with a 3rd remaining untill i turned off the firewall for garmin products then all was well

I had the same issue with a windows PC running windows defender too

Interestingly I use Mac and have a security/firewall installed on it and when i did the latest map update it kept sticking with a 3rd remaining untill i turned off the firewall for garmin products then all was well

I had the same issue with a windows PC running windows defender too
I used to have to turn off the internet security on the PC when updating my old zumo 550, with it off I had no problems.

well, update,
I plugged in the nav 5 again and garmin express says all maps up to date etc, still with all north installed and no south.
so I went into basecamp and then into the map updater,
I still cant find any reference anywhere to install Europe south, it just lists full Europe,
I formatted my sd card to fat 32 yet again removing all of the full Europe maps installed on it.
anyway after checking which countries are installed in the Europe north I went into custom installation and selected all of the countries in the south that are not in the Europe north file,
this came out at about 3.5 meg of data, clicked to install and left it for a few hours, came back a few hours later, message saying all installed successfully.
removed the nav 5 from the computer, crossed my fingers etc,
turned it on,
says maps uploading as before.:augie
this time it carried on and started up fine, no shutting down as it was starting up.:bounce1:bounce1
I now have mapping in France Spain Italy and Croatia Serbia and all the surrounding countries, zoomed in on many towns and have all of the streets and names there, did a search and all of the countries come up to search for an address.
I still cant understand why I cant find the option to install all of south, to go with the north installed but at least it now has what I require to travel to France at the end of may.
maybe I do need to purge the computer of stuff that I used to use for my old zumo 550, it could be causing issues, no idea how to do it though.
oh well at least its worked to a certain extent,
thanks for your help and I hope this may help others to get theirs working.:clap:clap

Back
Top Bottom