help needed with loading maps onto a nav v

well, update,
I plugged in the nav 5 again and garmin express says all maps up to date etc, still with all north installed and no south.
so I went into basecamp and then into the map updater,
I still cant find any reference anywhere to install Europe south, it just lists full Europe,
I formatted my sd card to fat 32 yet again removing all of the full Europe maps installed on it.
anyway after checking which countries are installed in the Europe north I went into custom installation and selected all of the countries in the south that are not in the Europe north file,
this came out at about 3.5 meg of data, clicked to install and left it for a few hours, came back a few hours later, message saying all installed successfully.
removed the nav 5 from the computer, crossed my fingers etc,
turned it on,
says maps uploading as before.:augie
this time it carried on and started up fine, no shutting down as it was starting up.:bounce1:bounce1
I now have mapping in France Spain Italy and Croatia Serbia and all the surrounding countries, zoomed in on many towns and have all of the streets and names there, did a search and all of the countries come up to search for an address.
I still cant understand why I cant find the option to install all of south, to go with the north installed but at least it now has what I require to travel to France at the end of may.
maybe I do need to purge the computer of stuff that I used to use for my old zumo 550, it could be causing issues, no idea how to do it though.
oh well at least its worked to a certain extent,
thanks for your help and I hope this may help others to get theirs working.:clap:clap

I wiped all Garmin files from my pc (windows 10) and now have Europe 2018.10 on my pc and have just made maps from Calais to Mugello and all is fine.
However, I still cannot find where they are stored on my pc (and I've unhidden all folders / files) in order to copy to my Nav V which, like yours, will only accept North.

F****** software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Khulu , right click on your windows tab bottom left, open search and copy and paste this in the search box, C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps. this presumes that c is your boot drive, and you have un hidden files and folders and are running widows 10 64 bit, and then click on the location thats displayed above in there you will see your map folder.

However, I still cannot find where they are stored on my pc (and I've unhidden all folders / files) in order to copy to my Nav V which, like yours, will only accept North.

As Leedude says: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps
I don't keep mine there though, just a shortcut to the real location.

Can you copy to the device, just one map - north or south - and then check, via explorer, what its called.
Its probably gmapsupp.img. Look at the file date/time (set explorer to "detail" view), to see if its really the file you just sent and rename it to gmapsup1.img.
Upload the other map.

I have been looking round some of the warez:augie sites and they suggest that the naming for the files is as follows:

North Map
gmapprom.img

South Map
D6210030A.img

I had a pretty similar problem last time round - I am also using a Mac - I had to update my Mac to Sierra 10.12.4 Operating system to allow the latest Garmin Express to load.

I have had problems before with stuff loaded on the SD card that cannot bee read or seen (music for instance) what I had to do for this is put at least 1 music file on the device to activate the MP4 search of the card. I faffed around for hours trying to split mapping so i could have 2018.10 spread across device and SD card with no success. I eventually gave up and just accepted that if I wanted maps on the SD card then the device was going to shut down before it fund them.

The answer for me (not saying it will help you) was that I put 2018.10 Western Europe on the Nav V device memory - it all fits on with a very small amount of spare memory for routes and tracks but they could always go on SD card in future. First time i tried it I missed it - but you have a check box on the Garmin Express "Change Maps" tab that says Load to computer as well. Make sure you click this and all will be fine.

A few things I did first however:
Used Omnidiscsweeper to locate the old maps on my Mac to delete them before loading the new ones.
Backed up my favourites and locations on the device.
AS i say I had to update to Sierra OP system to allow the new Express to work.
I deleted old Express to stop any conflicts
Downloaded completely new Express

** One thing I did have a massive problem with is I only have a macbook air (small screen) because it travels with me if I go on a trip. The dialogue box for Garmin express did not fit on the screen correctly - I tried everything including changing scree resolution but I couldnt get to the buttons at the bottom of the dialogue box to activate the download. I spent ages dicking around.The eventual outcome for me was I had to plug in a monitor screen - this then allowed me to see the full dialogue box on screen - i then had to use an external mouse to click the load maps tab - once i did this everything went swimmingly! What i would say is that this supports my theory that the full operating system testing of the new Garmin Express has not been that thorough**

Now all seems fine and I have same mapset on Basecamp and on Device - however because I feel there will be an update to 2018.10 very soon because Garmin know they have several issues I am creating any routes I need on the device maps when plugged in via Basecamp - this way i know the map data I am working with is there on the device.

I think that Garmin have made a few mistakes with this release - I suspect the system is susceptible to the different levels of operating systems out there - the fact that the new Garmin Express will only work with later mac versions (newer than 10.4 i think) tells you that some of the features they are building into the software need later versions of software.

Rik

Khulu , right click on your windows tab bottom left, open search and copy and paste this in the search box, C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps. this presumes that c is your boot drive, and you have un hidden files and folders and are running widows 10 64 bit, and then click on the location thats displayed above in there you will see your map folder.

Can you copy to the device, just one map - north or south - and then check, via explorer, what its called.
Its probably gmapsupp.img. Look at the file date/time (set explorer to "detail" view), to see if its really the file you just sent and rename it to gmapsup1.img.
Upload the other map.

Thanks for the help gentlemen!
I did the search and came up with a load of "city navigator Europe NTU 2018.10.gmap"

Should I be looking for files ending in "img" because, if so, I can't find any.

You've both been a great help and I'm nearly there but still have one hurdle to cross.

I've been making routes for southern Europe this weekend and they all work fine on my pc but I can't find the files I need to transfer to my Nav V when I get my replacement (I phoned Garmin last week and although mine was 3 months outside the 1 year warranty they said to send it back and they'll give me a new one! Very generous - I hope it comes pre-loaded with 2018.10.)

Many thanks,

Iain

Thanks for the help gentlemen!
I did the search and came up with a load of "city navigator Europe NTU 2018.10.gmap"

This is the PC map.

Start BC, klick Maps tab, click Install Maps.
You then get a menu of installable maps. Then click install and it will generate the .img files on the device.
If you see nowt, click Customize, see if its there.

Upload the other map.

I have been looking round some of the warez:augie sites and they suggest that the naming for the files is as follows:

North Map
gmapprom.img

South Map
D6210030A.img

Sorry to trouble you experts again but:

I'm relaxing making routes on Basecamp, for my tour in three weeks time, and I'm plotting one from Millau to Sigues going via Arreau and Bareges in the French Pyrenees.
It won't let me plot the Arreau to Bareges section! Google maps shows the road is open so it shouldn't be a seasonal closure issue.
I've tuned all the rest of the route bar this one section.

All help gratefully appreciated.

TIA,

Iain :nenau:nenau:clap:clap

You have mode routes for Southern Europe on your PC, I guess in either BaseCamp or Mapsource?

You don't need to 'find' the file. Just highlight the route(s) - or a whole file if you have several routes in one file - and click on 'Send to device' or words similar. You can even chose what data to send across in the transfer from PC to device.

Lots of videos out there on how to do it, very reliably.

Are you sure that you do not have 'Avoid seasonal closures' turned on? Mapdource does not know what day or month we are in, let alone what season it might be, so it plays safe and simply does as it's told.... it avoids all roads that have seasonal closures.

This is the PC map.

Start BC, klick Maps tab, click Install Maps.
You then get a menu of installable maps. Then click install and it will generate the .img files on the device.
If you see nowt, click Customize, see if its there.

I'll do that as soon as I get my new Nav V.
I'd hoped i'd find them on the pc so I could use File Explorer to transfer them.

Many thanks,

Iain

Are you sure that you do not have 'Avoid seasonal closures' turned on? Mapdource does not know what day or month we are in, let alone what season it might be, so it plays safe and simply does as it's told.... it avoids all roads that have seasonal closures.

I'll double check but I didn't find it.
Found it in "date and time closures"

Much appreciated - you're a good man (for a Porsche driver)! :clap:clap

I can now go to Spain with my route. :bow:bow

Thanks again,

Iain :bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

I'll do that as soon as I get my new Nav V.
I'd hoped i'd find them on the pc so I could use File Explorer to transfer them.

If you have a blank SD card (8gig or better), format it (fat32) and make a directory called "Garmin" (Must be captal G as far as I know)
Stick it in yer 'puter.
Open BC.
klick Maps tab, then click Install Maps and the SD card should appear in the window like so: then install the map to it.... takes a while...

Attachments

• minst.JPG
    minst.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 377
If you have a blank SD card (8gig or better), format it (fat32) and make a directory called "Garmin" (Must be captal G as far as I know)
Stick it in yer 'puter.
Open BC.
klick Maps tab, then click Install Maps and the SD card should appear in the window like so: then install the map to it.... takes a while...

Thanks for the tip:

I've done that and my SD card now has a file called gsmapsupp (there is only one and it is an "img" file. and it's 4.164 Mb in size!) Could that North or South????
Here's hoping it's Europe North and South!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just returned from an 1800 mile trip to France, the mapping I installed using the custom route worked perfectly, so even though I had no option to install southern Europe and still don't it all works fine,
The memory card had no problems, thanks for the ideas anyway, thanks to Wapping offering to do an installation for me but in the end its worked out fine, though I did feel a tad miffed that he assumed it was a me that was cocking it up and his superior intellect would sort it out for me.
Garmin need to do something about this problem as it would appear I'm not the only one having problems.

....thanks to Wapping offering to do an installation for me but in the end its worked out fine, though I did feel a tad miffed that he assumed it was a me that was cocking it up...
Garmin need to do something about this problem as it would appear I'm not the only one having problems.

You are welcome.

Though I assumed no such thing. Several bods reported problems with the automatic downloads of Southern Europe maps, i.e. Anywhere south of Calais. Others reported no problems. I was in the latter camp, updating four separate devices successfully.

Whether this was due to using (or not using) a Mac, using (or not using) the latest Garmin software or because the front door was (or was not) yellow, I have no idea. I offered to try to do it for you so that you could go on your holiday. Glad it all went well.

I had exactly the same problem and tried on two separate PCs/laptops and with three different SD cards. I didn't realise the implications of this because I had the full maps in Basecamp and the routes I created seemed to transfer OK to the Nav V. However on a trip to Brittany I discovered the problem when there was no detail at all in France and no navigation instructions. All I got was a purple line for my route and every time I got a turning wrong the bike symbol wandered off the route and just floated in a featureless green background - very frustrating.

At my hotel I got out the laptop and tried to download the Europe maps to the SD card again which took several hours but though it succeeded in loading the maps to the card, I got the same failure of the GPS to boot with these maps on the SD Card. Like the OP, I only succeeded by going through the ludicrous method of selecting all the tiles making up France, and doing a partial load of the Southern Europe maps. Why the hell can't you just specify a country instead of having to click on loads of different sized and shaped tiles which it is very east to miss one of? I sometimes think that Garmin deliberately make their devices and software as difficult to use as possible!

As another example, I went deliberately off my route for a while today, so reloaded the trip when I got back on the original route, expecting to be able to resume. However it just gives a list of points the route passes through and asks you to choose which one to start from. Why oh why can't it show which is the next nearest point on the route to your current location - it knows where you are, it knows where all these points are which are just meaningless street names to me, but no, that would make life too easy for the poor human. Maybe there is an easy way to do this, if so I would be interested to hear what it is.

I'm obviously very unhappy at this bodged map update which doesn't work on some devices and/or when done from some PCS. It seems very much as though the GPS is so marginal on working memory that with some devices it therefore cannot load the needed references to the extra SD card maps and fails to start up. I only bought this GPS with the bike in March and after one software/map update is now effectively broken. Grrrr ...

Back
Top Bottom