Advice security please - Almax 17inch + 8077 Disc lock + BikeTrac + AN Other?

richmondrider

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Welcome some advice, back in early March I have my new GS stolen after a grand 29 days of ownership. It was stolen from a bike bay whilst I was in Waitrose getting some milk - so have learnt they have got this down to a fine art and also understand there is effectively nothing you can do if they are intent, so my option is to continue to make it as hard as possible. So the fun begins...

New bike is ordered (GSA Triple Black) and hoping to pickup in next couple of weeks, for overnight parking I have arranged secure underground parking that comes with perimeter gates (serious security level grade), CCTV, 24/Hour patrols with typical time of 3 mins to site in event of alarm. There are a load of super cars stored in this place, with temp controlled bays - so despite my insurance being higher I'm going with this (because underwriter thinks is safer on the street at my home postcode - in South West London!)

So my next plan is what to take with me on the road, I have the Almax 17inch chain (1.5m), a ABUS 8077 disc lock (which I believe is best placed on the rear wheel?) and a BikeTrac GPS fitted (from day 1, at the dealership!)

My question is, is there anything else I could add just to the list and make it harder, any innovative security devices beyond the mainstream ?

A 59 Granite Extreme D-Lock was recommended at the dealership but its quite bulky, perhaps another disc lock of sorts or is the view what I have already is enough?

Given the list price for the bike, the fact I lost my first GS in 29 days and insurance is going to be a nightmare if not impossible if this one goes I have no problem is spending more to make it that little bit harder and eases the somewhat paranoid mind...

Fully appreciate, if they are intent then little or nothing is going to stop them.

Any advice welcome...

I suspect your chain maybe 17mm not inch.

If you speak with Al at Almax he will describe a setup with a Vox and movement sensor attached to a long range walkie talkie. You can give a set to your security people and a set in your home.

The chain is good, I've recently gone from the 17mm to the 19mm with the new padlock. I was able to pick the padlock in a few minutes so consider as a slowing down device not a prevention device.

If any slack in the chain wrap it around. So that it isn't Kay on the floor.

Also, inspect the cloth for any cuts, tears or replacement zip ties on the end.

I have a cheap maplins movement sensor above my bikes so that it flashes as the camera when movement nearby.

Anti- fox land mines with blank shot gun cartridges seem to do the job ..

oh BTW the lock I have from Almax is the Squire SS65CS Stronghold (Moto) R1 - this is easy to pick?

I posted a YouTube video of it being a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't easy to pick. But it was doable. I'm not aware of a better padlock- sorry.

IMHO you'll have so much security stuff that the time taken to set it all up and then remove it on your return will be so great that you won't bother. Popping in to get the milk is a perfect example, are you really going to apply an enormous chain plus two disc locks etc. for a few minutes in a shop? You'll soon get fed up with it.

Just get a cheap and supremely undesirable hack and keep the GS for the days out and big trips.

OP will bother.

Unfortunately, it takes having a bike stolen to get a biker to bother with security. DAMHIK.

I've posted heavily on security, and my position on it is probably regarded as OTT, but I believe that you belong in one of two camps when it comes to security:

1. You've had a bike stolen and will do whatever it takes to prevent it happening again. And you regard those in camp 2 as complacent fools.

2. You haven't yet had a bike stolen. You regard those in camp 1 as OTT paranoids.

Park indoor, out of sight, in a locked building/garage/shed.
Or park in a well-lit spot, with regular pedestrian traffic.
Install a ground anchor. Or two.
Use a heavy chain & decent padlock. Or two.
U-lock.
Disc-lock. Or two.
Simple alarm.
Security marking.
GPS tracker. Or two.
Steering lock.
Security marking.
Dull tatty cover.
CCTV.

I have 7 of those, and I'm gradually collecting the rest. I want to keep my bike, so it's worth the hassle. The hassle is 2 minutes to un-cover and un-lock, and 2 minutes to lock and cover. Not the big deal some would have you believe.

Back
Top Bottom