Flywheel / Starter motor teeth stripped problem GS 1150

bikejunky

Reaction score
Hi from Hampshire UK .

A couple of questions. Wondered if any inmates could shed any light on the history of my bike, NJ51 WJM.

I think it spent its life in the North ?

I bought it a couple of weeks ago 78K miles. It had a very noisey starter but it started the bike when went to view it - from cold. I went to collect a week later and it started again from cold. I have started it once at home, then left it a week and then tried to start it and at that time the starter made a horrid grinding noise, slow turnover and the bike wouldn't start.

I have removed the starter it has no makers name or sign on it and seems to be lacking the locating pin. (could this be a cheap starter?).

The starter has damage to the bendix and there is resulting damage to the flywheel.

This damage to the flywheel teeth is in two patches on the flywheel and covers about 20 teeth. The rest of the flywheel is ok !!
There is damage to the outboard starter mounting bolt and some one has drilled right the way through the casing and mounted it using a bolt. is this acceptable practice ? or could it be causing some misalignment problems? i have attached some photos below. I have ordered a 2nd hand valeo starter to see if this is any better quality. And james sherlock has a flywheel listed on fleabay, I think I will buy this also.

Any thoughts on best way forward? thanks Mike

Don't fit your new starter motor with that flywheel. You'll only ruin the starter. I'm afraid you've got to fit a new flywheel/starter ring. The locating dowel is around the bottom left corner of the case. I don't like the butchery job for the top mounting bolt. I'd fit an insert in the old mounting hole after lining it up using the lower bolt and locating dowel.

cool thanks for that reply steptoe, the butchered hole is quite oval ill see if there is enough meat to get a insert in i did remount the starter with a 4mm dowl ( well a allen key !) in the locating dowl and it made no differance i guess the starter ring is far to shot if there is not enough meat to put in a insert do you think the bolt arrangement will work ? or could it have pulled the starter off center or out of line , how much if any is there room for ' waggle' with the starter ? thanks

The remaining bolt and locating dowel will locate the s/m correctly.
If you can then drill the knackered hole by using its s/m hole as a datum.
Tap and helicoil should help keep things true.

thanks for that , ill start the strip down this week end i have seen the posts on here abt taking the gear box and final drive all off as one using the cut off bolts etc,, i have ordered the second hand flywheel from j sherlock on flea bay (£89 delivered , teeth look good , well much better than mine) and ill attempt the helicoiling when gear box etc is out the way i understand i will need new flywheel mounting bolts x 5 ( one use only ? ) and ill check the clutch when its out is there any other suggestions of what i might need ? thanks in anticipation

78k miles on her, if it hasn't been changed then I'd do the clutch too.

Hopefully that's the only bodge you'll find:beerjug:

hi guys , so i took the advice and got a second hand flywheel and using the knowledge on here got it all stripped down to the flywheel in a couple of hours, no other real horror stories found except that one of the 2 dowls that sit on 2 of the six gear box bolts was missing !! and when i looked in the end of the clutch the spring plate did not seem dead center ( ? ) but was not far off, i have done alot of reading to try and find out the next step to remove and replace the flywheel but have drawn a bit of a blank . ( except a lot of info on having to preload the airhead crankshaft before removing the flywheel ) can some one tell me if i can just undo the 5 flywheel bolts and remove it ? do i need a puller ? and do i need to do anything else ? ie engine at tdc or something ? i have searched but either not very well or i just cant find the info !! Also could anyone confirm the part number for the missing gearbox dowl is 23 41 1340 413 ? thanks in anticipation ................................ mike

No puller needed to remove the flywheel/starter ring gear - just make a note of where the timing/TDC mark is on the flywheel so you fit the new one back in the same position for future reference .

thank you steptoe ill just unbolt the five bolts and check that tdc mark, brill !! ( oh and get new bolts for the replacement !!! )

..........Also could anyone confirm the part number for the missing gearbox dowl is 23 41 1340 413 ? thanks in anticipation ................................ mike

I can't find any locating dowels on the gearbox. They only appear on the engine parts diagram back of the engine casing...... Item 5.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,415
Your part number 23411340413 is the sleeve for the gear lever assembly. So not correct.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,289
wow thanks for that link , i could spend hours on that !!! and prob will .....................

been away with work and hope to get on to putting the GS back together nxt week ! got all me bits including a esmir spacer one question, and i have looked but cant find the torque setting for the flywheel bolts ?? thanks in advance............

been away with work and hope to get on to putting the GS back together nxt week ! got all me bits including a esmir spacer one question, and i have looked but cant find the torque setting for the flywheel bolts ?? thanks in advance............

Here you go:-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 428
thanks for that looks like ill have to find a protractor for the 32 deg !! also the 12 nm for the 6 clutch bolts seems really light ? makes me wonder why the say they need replacing each time ??

Back
Top Bottom