R80 g/s Lean running on right

Airhead_Martin

Reaction score
Hi, I'm struggling to find the cause of lean running on right hand side. I've rebuilt the carbs with kits from Motorworks, checked and rechecked settings problem persists any ideas. I'm at the pissed off stage so actual human contact would perhaps be more effective, south Manchester. Thanks Martin

I'm currently working through exactly the same on my Guzzi.

You don't say what you have and haven't checked so;

First check for air leaks on the inlet side & outlet/exhaust and that everything is done up nice and tight.

Then check valve clearances and ignition timing.

Once all the above is good then check your carbs are set up correctly and not worn (which you say you have done).

How do you know it's running weak? Exhaust bluing (if chrome/stainless)? Plug colour? Popping/missing when cold and first off choke?

Andres

I will concentrate on inlet/outlet leaks first.

I would concentrate on what Mikeyboy said first, then go from there - all else is pointless unless you know the compressions are good. Also is the engine worn? It is not uncommon for the left hand cylinder to show a darker plug colour (making you think the right hand cylinder with it lighter colour is running lean) - this is due to the oil breather tending to vent into the left cylinder during running, and oil seepeage directly into the left inlet tract from the airbox if the bike is left on its side stand.

Thanks guys, will go through the items raised. Condition was confirmed by plug comparison. I will concentrate on inlet/outlet leaks first.

Compression test first! Don't fanny around until you know the compression is good

I had one here to fix that was "running fine" but a little hard to start "Allegedly!!!"

I had a quick look and after fannying around for about 5 minutes, I stuck the compression tool on it only to find it had 20 psi on right side and it was a cracked valve

Its the best line of attack on any bike that has running problems Start at compression, then fuel, then coil, diaphragms etc

DSC05696.jpg

DSC05699.jpg

pmcg20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom