After a 1150 GSA things to look out for

steele01

Reaction score
Hi everyone going to look at a couple of 1150s tomorrow an maybe one of here hopefully if anything turns up for sale,

Just a few things what sort of millage do the final drives an gearboxes need doing?

Anything else to keep an eye out for know a about the servo brakes

Cheers

Ps sorry for posting but my phone's naff for searching :)

You will get a very wide range of answers. My 1150 has covered 107,000 miles and I've only recently changed the final drive main and crown bearings. Still on the original clutch, with no indication it needs attention.

Thanks mate seems like the clutches are pretty great on them thats good to know :) how much was the bearings? did you do it yourself?

Cheers

Things to look out for....any opportunity to take the piss and offer daft money :D

Glad I kept hold of mine, it's a fine machine

hahah two I'm looking at ones at 45k and the other is at just under 60 :) still not sure whats heavy millage on one guess its only 3.5k a year both around the 4,000 quid mark

Mine has done 109,000, looking to change it for a 1200RT no problem for me if it has a similar mileage.

hahah two I'm looking at ones at 45k and the other is at just under 60 :) still not sure whats heavy millage on one guess its only 3.5k a year both around the 4,000 quid mark

I had mine (41kmiles IIRC) on for £4850 with Vern's and nearly new nitrons in super nice condition, Sargent seat, and a hundred other nice parts. I took quite a lot of abuse by one lovely member on here.

Here's a couple of pictures for you to gauge your purchase on :thumb (I was offered enough on the extras to sell the basic bike for £3500 but I couldn't be bothered to split it).

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 479
Cheers mate Really appreciate the pictures can see why thats a 4,000 quid bike all day long how do you find the verns? an is the sergeant seat any lower than standard? :) getting pretty excited for getting one now :D

saw a nice twin cam gsa that I'm going to check out as well on route to look at the 1150's but really liking the look of the 1150 and knowing I won't have to take it anywhere near a dealer

Cheers mate Really appreciate the pictures can see why thats a 4,000 quid bike all day long how do you find the verns? an is the sergeant seat any lower than standard? :) getting pretty excited for getting one now :D

saw a nice twin cam gsa that I'm going to check out as well on route to look at the 1150's but really liking the look of the 1150 and knowing I won't have to take it anywhere near a dealer

Vern's pop up on here every now and then secondhand, or try the man himself at project vnd and see if he has anything.

Sargent do a low version, mine is standard height.

Cheers mate :) appreciate the info

had any leaks or anything with them? Had globe scouts on the LC GSA and they leaked

one of the bikes has got the old plastic boxes on it, not a bad bike though

Thanks mate seems like the clutches are pretty great on them thats good to know :) how much was the bearings? did you do it yourself?

Cheers

Not really. Clutch life is a function of use. If the bike's been used mainly on the open road they last really well. If they're used for commuting into a city (like mine have been) clutches go at about every 50k. It's a massive job changing a clutch compared to on a Japanese bike. Total cost is about a grand with all the labour if you pay someone to do it. Compare that to my old Honda - changes the clutch in half an hour in the office car park using standard tools.

Despite this, I love the GSA, and plan on keeping it forever.

Cheers mate :) appreciate the info

had any leaks or anything with them? Had globe scouts on the LC GSA and they leaked

one of the bikes has got the old plastic boxes on it, not a bad bike though

Erm, they are Vern's......the best there is :thumb

Cheers lads got to one of the bikes an it had sold gutted haha bike ramp an everything hunt continues :)

Just a quick one lads an ladies do the 1150s have matching engine an frame numbers from the factory? An what's the location on the engine numbers an frame numbers off to buy one in the morning :)

Here are the things I've replaced or upgraded over the past five years:

1. SS brake lines.
2. New stick coils
3. Second Load Relay (already on some bikes)
4. Replaced all in-tank fuel hoses (very important if it hasn't been done yet)
5. Inspect the clutch hub to transmission input shaft for excessive play.

Things I also changed:
5. Changed to stock spark plugs
6. Added an LC-1 (AF-XIED) mixture richening system.
7. Replaced the starter because the original dropped its internal cover onto the armature.
7.5 Left-side Cam Chain Tensioner

Things not to add/change.
8. No need to externalize the fuel filter
9. No need to change the coding plug
10. No need to remove the charcoal canister
11. No need for any other fueling mod
12. Leave the stock intake tubes
13. Leave the stock exhaust
14. If you have an AGM battery, don't use a Battery Tender Jr. charger.

Do give it a proper tune up and use stock fluids.

What's involved for changing the input shaft :) was watching some videos on worn splines last night,

An on hydraulic clutches should there be any free play in the lever + a snappy response one of the bikes at weekend had a super sluggish response an weighed a ton on the clutch lever compared to the others an the back wheel didn't turn when on the centre stand like all the correct ones did, not had to much experience with hydraulic clutch systems yet :)

Back
Top Bottom