Problem importing route to Zumo 590

N1Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
0e989b25c6d6f18870fd022a2950bfbb.jpg

Can anyone explain this to me. Planning a trip to France. Maps in Basecamp and my Zumo 590 both updated. When I send the file over to my 590 and import them the days that the route is fairly complex ( using shaping points) this is what I got on the 590. It has never done this before.
What is really stupid is if you delete the route and send each day over one at a time it works fine.
Any thoughts? I am interested to find out why as I would hate to pre plan a route ( which will be shared by 5 others ) only to find it sends you all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the routes work sent one at a time why not do it that way, is there a need for one long route.

Can you share the whole file with us, please. Host it on something Dropbox, perhaps?

If we can then run it on our own devices it might then make it easier to see what might be happening.

First it's not one long route it is a 10 day trip. Yes I can import it one day at a time, but sharing with 5 others so want to make sure it works for them. Doing part of the RGA. Just want to follow my route rather than getting over there and one of the GPS devices decides to find the fastest route from one point to another, one goes all over the place and the other 4 have a bloody good trip.
The simple question is It should just work, so why isn't it?

You could send your friends the file holding the 10 individual routes and have them import one each day, comparing them as you go.

Without seeing the file / routes it is vey difficult to guess what is happening.

Have you tried sending the file to one / all of your friends asking them what they see when they import the routes?

I see so what you are saying is if you select to transfer all the 10 routes in one go it buggers the route, but if transfered individually there is no problem. as Wapping has said either post your routes/route up on something like dropbox failing that e mail the routes to me and i will put them on my drop box i have pm'd you my email

Thanks for the reply. No I haven't sent it to them yet. This is the 5th GPS I have had the last a 660 was much more user friendly. This one does not like it if you go off route ( even something simple like stopping for lunch ). No Do you want to Navigate to Highlighted Route?
I will try to put the route on here this evening when I have access to my computer

If it's a large file of 10 possibly long individual routes, there's a very good chance you'll exceed the site's upload limit, even if you compress it.

That leaves you either hosting it on Dropbox (or some similar quite safe sharing site) or emailing it to Lee to share with us.

Let's try to deal with your display problems, before anyone turns to the other challenges your device is setting you. To which I may have an answer, just from the picture!

If you look closely, the route with its blue shaping points is missing segments. It also loops off to follow distinct roads that have no obvious relation to the sort of direction the route should take. But, and here's the important bit, the route put forward still goes from A (your start) to B (the end point).....

I think the device is cleverer than you! I don't think you have the detailed map loaded. All you have got are the main roads. The device has done its best to bring you through those shaping points on a road it knows is there, the others it has missed out.... because the road detail is missing, so there is no obvious way for the device to get you there... but it's still got you from A to B.

That possibly explains why your device struggled to keep you on route, too.

Try:

1. Loading the detailed maps. From the look of the area you need Europe South. Then try running the route again.

2. Try running the route in 'Off road' mode or whatever they call it. Do the points join up then?

Answer to 1 Why does the day work if you load it as an individual day. I ride a KTM not a Rallye

It just struck me that the route shown on the picture of the device screen looks like what you get when you try to run a route with the "avoid seasonal closures" ticked. I know it used to be a default setting on the devices. If you are riding in the mountains you need to ensure that option is not ticked.

John

I think I have resolved the problem ( but to be honest I don't understand why it does what it did ) Last time the GPS used it was in car mount so changed setting on GPS to Motorcycle, re sent the route and hey presto all the dots join up.
I still do not understand this, as if I planned this and then tried to drive it it would be frustrating to say the least. I have used GPSs for years. My first one was a Street Pilot 4 that you had to create a breadtrail to follow. I struggle to understand why when I create a route and send it to my GPS the 2 are not the same. Thanks for all your input

I think I have resolved the problem ( but to be honest I don't understand why it does what it did ) Last time the GPS used it was in car mount so changed setting on GPS to Motorcycle, re sent the route and hey presto all the dots join up.
I still do not understand this, as if I planned this and then tried to drive it it would be frustrating to say the least. I have used GPSs for years. My first one was a Street Pilot 4 that you had to create a breadtrail to follow. I struggle to understand why when I create a route and send it to my GPS the 2 are not the same. Thanks for all your input

interesting, I have had problems with my 390 doing different things in the Motorcycle mode even when all visible settings for that mode are the same as for the car mode. In my case it does strange things in Motorcycle mode so I just leave it in car mode!

John

To be honest I have never changed the mode before. I was just going through everything that could be changed to try to find the answer.
I spent a long time searching before I posted the question. The one thing I did find on the Zumo forum ( which I rarely visit ) was the battery fix for 590s and 595. Anyone with one of these go check it out. You can get 3-4 hours out of a battery instead of 30 seconds

To be honest I have never changed the mode before. I was just going through everything that could be changed to try to find the answer.
I spent a long time searching before I posted the question. The one thing I did find on the Zumo forum ( which I rarely visit ) was the battery fix for 590s and 595. Anyone with one of these go check it out. You can get 3-4 hours out of a battery instead of 30 seconds

+1 for the battery fix :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom