K1600GT, time for new suspension

slowriding

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My '13 K1600GT has 48K miles and the suspension is on it's last legs. I will be shipping this bike to Germany in July where it will stay for the next 3 years while I shuttle back and forth touring Europe. My local mechanic can not store my bike for the 2-3 weeks to send off the OEM shocks to be built by Wilbers and I don't want to buy a worn out set to send in. Here in the USA Wilbers cost about 1100 GBP plus labor of 80 GBP per hour. Can anyone hazard a guess what the cost would be having the work done on your side of the pond?

As a guide for UK pricing , my bike ( a F650GS Twin) is going into Revs this week for a Wilbers adjustable rear shock plus progressive springs. All fitted by Revs ride in ride out £1050.

Steve

I will have the work done in Germany since that is where the bike will be stored after this years tour. Steve, that price is comparable to what it would cost in the US. Thanks for the replies.

littleade, interesting how many cities you have in the UK named after cities in the states.

Don't forget, you need two coil over spring units, so a K16 Wilbers conversion will cost way more than our friends F650GS Twin.

Speaking from experience, the K16 is a plastic nightmare to work on, so you need to factor in a full days labour. I was quoted c. £1750 three years back, when my OE sprung a leak. Anyway, there is plenty of background on the type specific forum that may help guide your decision < www.K1600forum.com >. The Moderator, RL, is a keen advocate of Wilbers.

Given that your current bike's suspension has done 48,000 presumably happy and comfortable miles, why not fit the BMW suspension? Any half decent BMW dealership could do it in a day, at home in Arizona or throughout Europe.

Few people if any complain about the 1600's BMW suspension set-up and handling.

In the meantime, here is Wilber's UK site, prices for mail order (find a fitter or DIY) all prices quoted in groats.

http://wilberssuspension.co.uk/products.php

Given that your current bike's suspension has done 48,000 presumably happy and comfortable miles, why not fit the BMW suspension? Any half decent BMW dealership could do it in a day, at home in Arizona or throughout Europe.

Few people if any complain about the 1600's BMW suspension set-up and handling.

In the meantime, here is Wilber's UK site, prices for mail order (find a fitter or DIY) all prices quoted in groats.

http://wilberssuspension.co.uk/products.php

Sorry Wappers, I beg to differ.

OE K1600 units are renowned for being crap, just look at the forum, & rarely last beyond 25k. Mine only got to 4k! before the seals failed & had been manufactured for BMW by WP in India, via the Bajaj supply chain probably. I was surprised that the OP achieved 48k, but I guess when they fail progressively one rides around the issue.

The K16 is a big, heavy old beast that handles pretty well, but it works the suspension & tyres hard as a result. It couldn't be more different from the GS in that sense. Additionally, the BMW units are at least as expensive as Wilbers, yet are without the Wilbers 5 year warranty or the prospect of re-conditioning/servicing. Frankly the choice is a no-brainer IMHO. BMW Dealers will only fit OE parts incidentally, so a Wilbers specilaist, who knows their way around K16 plastic, is the way to go.

I will have the work done in Germany since that is where the bike will be stored after this years tour. Steve, that price is comparable to what it would cost in the US. Thanks for the replies.

littleade, interesting how many cities you have in the UK named after cities in the states.

I know, strange isn't it. We use your language too :jes

Sorry Wappers, I beg to differ.

OE K1600 units are renowned for being crap, just look at the forum, & rarely last beyond 25k. Mine only got to 4k! before the seals failed & had been manufactured for BMW by WP in India, via the Bajaj supply chain probably. I was surprised that the OP achieved 48k, but I guess when they fail progressively one rides around the issue.

The K16 is a big, heavy old beast that handles pretty well, but it works the suspension & tyres hard as a result. It couldn't be more different from the GS in that sense. Additionally, the BMW units are at least as expensive as Wilbers, yet are without the Wilbers 5 year warranty or the prospect of re-conditioning/servicing. Frankly the choice is a no-brainer IMHO. BMW Dealers will only fit OE parts incidentally, so a Wilbers specilaist, who knows their way around K16 plastic, is the way to go.

I was at Benham BMW a couple of years ago. They were taking a bike out of the showroom to fit a set of Wilbers shocks before delivery to it's new owner. They said its an upgrade they commonly do.

Boston, Lincolnshire does not have quite the same ring as Boston Massachusetts and Melbourne, Derbyshire is little more than a large village.

I was at Benham BMW a couple of years ago. They were taking a bike out of the showroom to fit a set of Wilbers shocks before delivery to it's new owner. They said its an upgrade they commonly do.

Interesting, but news to me - 2 local dealers I used, admittedly in summer 2014, both declined; OE only. Likewise with accessories, approved only.

Maybe some dealers are happy to stray outside the Motherships dictate - surprised by your example though, within warranty too; are we talking K16 here, the Wilbers swop is a full day's labour, at least?
OK I guess if you always return to Benham, not so good if you need to seek warranty support elsewhere.

If you are considering the work in Germany you could try Andreas Reh at Rehcing www.rehcing.de
They are just north of Frankfurt in Herborn.
He is a an approved Wilburs and Ohlins supplier/repairer and would happily story your bike while the work is being done.

BMW would not warranty the Wilbers and maybe not the ESA equipment taken off the OEM shocks. But Wilbers do not modify the ESA in any way it's just a replacement coilover shock.

Back
Top Bottom