When a motorway isn't........

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On a recent holiday in Austria I took a trip over to Innsbruck. I'd planned the route on basecamp and it was pretty straightforward - over the mountains to the next valley, join the motorway, drive to Innsbruck.

My 590 however, had different plans and tried to keep me off the motorway at all costs :nenau

It wasn't until the return journey that I realised something really was amiss but I carried on and went back the "pretty way".

I had checked my device about 3 times to make sure that motorways weren't checked in the avoidances. It wasn't till we were back at our hotel the penny dropped.

In Austria, you need a vignette to use the motorways and major roads. The zumo therefore treats then as TOLL ROADS and for reasons unknown to me this had been checked in avoidances. :blast:blast:blast

If you are going anywhere that uses vignettes or (presumably) peage for motorways - you have been warned :p

A timely reminder to check all settings, avoidances and preferences. It's very easy to forget turning one or more routing preference on or off and then forgetting, leading to all sorts of confusions and frustrations, often miles from home.

I noticed that my brand new Nav VI came with all sorts of routing avoidances ticked (turned on) by default. I turned them all off and then just selected the one or two that I wanted, not relying on the dumb (but really quite clever) machine to decide what it thought I'd want.

Back
Top Bottom