New TomTom 450

oddshapedballs

Reaction score
Anyone tried the new TomTom Rider 450? I'm looking to replace my Garmin and fancy one of these.

:thumb2

Although I've not used a TomTom bike nav, I have used plenty of their car devices and their car devices (and sports) - they are IMO always better than the Garmin devices. I've got a Nav V at the moment and only really got it as I have the TE mount on the bike and the hand control. It's very average when compared to TomTom devices particularly if you see that some TomTom devices comes with pre-installed routes etc which I think is a great feature. So....if I were do it all again I would probably by a TomTom device, but how would you mount it? I mean can you get a solid looking/functioning mount like TE mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you want pre-installed TomTom routes on a bike?

Why wouldn't you? You don't have to use them, no-ones going to make you love...but with a little open mindedness you may discover something new...or not, but that's the point.

Back to the ask; DottyDog, I used to use my old car TomTom on the bike and have found it much more user friendly, it could be I'm just used to a TomTom but I've never gelled with the Garmin, that said I only have an old one (Zumo 500) and although it has 2017 maps the display is very basic and light on features. Hence why I'm now looking at the TomTom 450.

I would also like to change to Rider 450 having had my Rider V2 for 10 years.
What has stopped me changing before and still searching for the info on the 450 is the following.
I have several different poi files, work / bike nights / PGPSWorld speed cameras etc, I would like to use these with map icons and sounds on my next sat nav.
I have approx 70 rides in my itinerary`s created on Tyre pro, will these transfer to the 450 ?
Is there a facility to skip a missed waypoint on the 450. I have used Overleap ( third party software) on the Rider V2 ?
I have been very happy with Tomtom in the car and on the bike but don`t seem to be able to find answers to these questions.
I don`t want to change to Garmin as I have tried them including the 595 but prefer to stick with tomtom.

Why would you want pre-installed TomTom routes on a bike?

Because people like being given routes to ride, confident that they'll get from A to E via B,C and D without too much effort or risk that it might not work.

It's not so dissimilar to bods asking for routes ('Great twisty roads, no motorways') for their holidays, in the hope that someone will make them for them. It also explains why Garmin have started putting all sorts of new functions into their latest devices, things like:

Twisty roads

Hilly roads

Roads that do not have many gradient changes

Take me on a circular route out from where I am now to somewhere else and back again, with the device's owner setting into the machine how long they want to be out for and / or how many miles they want to do

These are all made available because bikermates have demanded them, along with music, the ability to make and receive telephone calls, being told what the weather will be like and a whole host of functions in between. It won't stop them moaning that the bloody device took them through a town, when any idiot (as they put it) could have taken the ring road but hey-ho. The routing through a town will though be hailed as genius when it coincides with a bikermate's strong desire to have lunch.... If only the same device could produce certified biker friendly - and above all, safe - cafes at the push of a button. Life and Adventure (with a capital A) motorcycling would then be perfect.

I would also like to change to Rider 450 having had my Rider V2 for 10 years.
What has stopped me changing before and still searching for the info on the 450 is the following.
I have several different poi files, work / bike nights / PGPSWorld speed cameras etc, I would like to use these with map icons and sounds on my next sat nav.
Don't know this one.......
I have approx 70 rides in my itinerary`s created on Tyre pro, will these transfer to the 450 ?
Yes, if saved as itn files.....
Is there a facility to skip a missed waypoint on the 450. I have used Overleap ( third party software) on the Rider V2 ?
There is on the 400, so I'd imagine there will be on the 450.....
I have been very happy with Tomtom in the car and on the bike but don`t seem to be able to find answers to these questions.

I don`t want to change to Garmin as I have tried them including the 595 but prefer to stick with tomtom.

Be aware that in terms of hardware, the Rider 40, 400, 410 and 450 is exactly the same device. They just use the different numbers to denote different map packages and features and add profit margin. You can get a very good deal by going for the 400/410 if it has the right maps for you.

Be aware that in terms of hardware, the Rider 40, 400, 410 and 450 is exactly the same device. They just use the different numbers to denote different map packages and features and add profit margin. You can get a very good deal by going for the 400/410 if it has the right maps for you.
i was thinking the same iv got the 400 no much difference in the 410 or this 450.

When using an itinerary and a waypoint is missed, the rider V2 would try to send you back to the waypoint ( I used overleap to get around this) I understand that the Garmins self cancel the missed waypoint after a certain distance.
Is there a easy built in system on the Rider 400 series. ?
Thank you for the hardware information on the range.

When using an itinerary and a waypoint is missed, the rider V2 would try to send you back to the waypoint ( I used overleap to get around this) I understand that the Garmins self cancel the missed waypoint after a certain distance.
Is there a easy built in system on the Rider 400 series. ?
Thank you for the hardware information on the range.

Yes, as above, in the TT 400 while driving a route, there is a "skip next waypoint" in the current route page, 2 taps and it's gone. TT then recalculates to the following waypoint.

Also, I've noticed that the mount for the new 450 has a 4 pin dock, my 400 dock only has 2 (bike mount that is). :nenau

Just gone from Garmin after many years to a TomTom Rider 42. Garmin pricing themselves out of the market and have way too many features I will never use and hence no need to pay for them. Good solid unit with great navigation. Moved from Garmin to TomTom at work and they seem far more resilient and a lot less "plasticky"
Routing all seems fine and the upgrade on the 42+ series is noticeable .

Although I've not used a TomTom bike nav, I have used plenty of their car devices and their car devices (and sports) - they are IMO always better than the Garmin devices. I've got a Nav V at the moment and only really got it as I have the TE mount on the bike and the hand control. It's very average when compared to TomTom devices particularly if you see that some TomTom devices comes with pre-installed routes etc which I think is a great feature. So....if I were do it all again I would probably by a TomTom device, but how would you mount it? I mean can you get a solid looking/functioning mount like TE mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could try this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/supporto...244535?hash=item467ba6dfb7:g:iJQAAOSwqeZZdiyb

Back
Top Bottom