Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 376

Thread: Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

  1. #1
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    2,175

    Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

    I've used a Drift Helmet Camera in the past but got fed up of uploading, editing and storing video content. Its just too time consuming.

    But on the Navigator 6 it suggests I can connect multiple (front and rear) Garmin Virb XE Cameras, and then control them from my Satnav Screen.

    I'm thinking of live streaming or video storage on a loop. Safety reasons mainly in the event of an emergency where video footage would be useful. Or for mini tours so family can see what Im up to.

    What also appeals to me is..

    A) I can connect my helmet Bluetooth microphone (Scala G4 ??).

    B) I can connect cameras to bike battery so dont have to keep charging them (or remembering to)

    C) If I wanted, I can live stream video content via mobile phone.

    Anyone doing this already on BMW GS using Garmin Navigator.

    Thanks for any useful feedback.

  2. #2
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lincolnshire, Nottingham
    Posts
    1,272
    Wow, expensive these cameras to wire up & leave connected, perfect opportunity for a thief to have a great day methinks..

    Does the Nav 6 control any other cameras.?

  3. #3
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,168

    Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by snaponphil;

    Does the Nav 6 control any other cameras.?
    Nope


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All the best.....

    EV

  4. #4
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coming to a scene near you......, UK
    Posts
    2,084
    Use my Garmin 390 to control my Virb Elite.

    However, if you want it to simply loop as a just in case, the GPS equipped Virb (mine is the older version so not sure if the XE has gps), you can have it autostart record when moving.

    I guess the disadvantage is that it also automatically ceases when you stop - might miss the action and/or confessions of guilt

  5. #5
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by snaponphil View Post
    Wow, expensive these cameras to wire up & leave connected, perfect opportunity for a thief to have a great day methinks..

    Does the Nav 6 control any other cameras.?
    I think its just a mini USB connector wire. Easily unplugged when temporarily removing cameras.

    I dont know about the waterproofing when wired to the battery?

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lincolnshire, Nottingham
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by EVskij View Post
    Nope


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Big shame.. I'll wait till they add a pairing option with other cameras..
    I like Garmin Sat Navs as I'm used to the configuration, but would stray for more control..

  7. #7
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    2,175
    Right, having done some research I'm going for it.

    I've decided to order a Garmin Virb XE camera (front facing on my bike at 1080p / 60 FPS) and the lower specced Garmin Virb X for rear facing 1080p / 30 FPS.

    They will be hard wired into my new HEX EZCAN device on the aux channel. My new Aux Lights on left and right channel and the remaining channel for extra rear brake lights.

    The Garmin cameras will have 128GB memory cards on a loop recording and paired together with the front camera (host) rear camera (slave).

    The front/rear video footage is GPS timestamped and will auto syncronise.

    Now the clever stuff.... the cameras are paired also to my Bmw Navigator VI satnav. I can use the screen for recording on/off etc.

    But... it should also upload the bikes telemetry data in sync with the video recordings. How much data I dont know yet, but playback should be epic, showing video footage, GPS, speed, revs, altitude, heart rate... tons of stuff.

    Also, the Sat Nav is paired to my phone which is paired to my Bluetooth headset in helmet. So audio from microphone should be overlaid onto camera footage.

    All with no wires!!

    Cool (if I got my info right and if it works).

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lincolnshire, Nottingham
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Right, having done some research I'm going for it.

    I've decided to order a Garmin Virb XE camera (front facing on my bike at 1080p / 60 FPS) and the lower specced Garmin Virb X for rear facing 1080p / 30 FPS.

    They will be hard wired into my new HEX EZCAN device on the aux channel. My new Aux Lights on left and right channel and the remaining channel for extra rear brake lights.

    The Garmin cameras will have 128GB memory cards on a loop recording and paired together with the front camera (host) rear camera (slave).

    The front/rear video footage is GPS timestamped and will auto syncronise.

    Now the clever stuff.... the cameras are paired also to my Bmw Navigator VI satnav. I can use the screen for recording on/off etc.

    But... it should also upload the bikes telemetry data in sync with the video recordings. How much data I dont know yet, but playback should be epic, showing video footage, GPS, speed, revs, altitude, heart rate... tons of stuff.

    Also, the Sat Nav is paired to my phone which is paired to my Bluetooth headset in helmet. So audio from microphone should be overlaid onto camera footage.

    All with no wires!!

    Cool (if I got my info right and if it works).
    Cool.. price of cameras.? Where from.?

  9. #9
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    424
    AWESOME...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I'm just not right in the head

    My YouTube Channel, if you're interested

  10. #10
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    825
    hrmm keen to see how you set these up on the bike. I've had nothing but charging issues lately with my GoPro's.

  11. #11
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ely
    Posts
    374
    this is all something that i am considering... please keep us up to date with how you get on, Warlord.... mind, i need to buy the lot, including the HEX EZCAN... going to cost much wonga, me thinks

  12. #12
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlEly View Post
    this is all something that i am considering... please keep us up to date with how you get on, Warlord.... mind, i need to buy the lot, including the HEX EZCAN... going to cost much wonga, me thinks
    Should be a good project.

    I spoke with Garmin UK this morning to confirm and provide information on some of my unanswered questions.

    a) It appears that everything I can get on my Nav VI device, can be scraped into video footage. ie RPM, Speed, GPS Location, Engine Temp, Tyre Pressures etc... Garmin seemed confident this can be easily done through their integration and latest video editing software. However, just how much stuff I can scrape onto the final video remains to be seen. Good if it can do things like Gear Position, Lean Angle, RPM, etc... but not sure until I get it set up.

    b) Your Nav VI Screen will not display the video footage, you need to pair a Smart Phone for this feature.

    c) Garmin recommend their Rugged 10 Meter Power Cable to connect to power source on bike. But I might see if we can utilise the existing charging cable with USB connector to HEX EZCAN twin USB port? Need to play around with this to avoid Garmin Cable prices.

    d) You can pair two Garmin Virb units with different frame rate settings and still merge the footage into final edit (ie Virb X at 30 FPS and Virb XE at 60 FPS), which is what I thought but wanted to check.

    e) Camera's can be set up for a rolling recording in time slots. Example, 15 minute recording segments until end of memory on card, then starts from beginning overwriting oldest files first. So that's ideal on a 128GB card as should last a while.

  13. #13
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    2,175
    Right.. my GSA Battleship is getting close to being completed now with all my mods.

    The Hex EzCan is due to arrive today or tomorrow.

    I'm about to order two Garmin Virb XE cameras.

    One front facing fitted on a Garmin/GoPro compatible fixed aluminium bracket.

    But any suggestions where I could mount a rear facing arse camera?

    Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

  14. #14
    Not all who wander are lost... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    1,144
    On the topbox or attached to the frames would be my bet.

    I got myself one of them Wunderlich copies from China but it aint gonna fit with the Touratech mesh guard so I'll have to modify it somehow. I might just cut the supporting arm off, I reckon it'll be fine without it.

    Keep us informed and pics would be great. Looking at the Virb XE (front and rear) set up myself with the Hex EzCan (with extra spot lights and horn).

  15. #15
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
    On the topbox or attached to the frames would be my bet.

    I got myself one of them Wunderlich copies from China but it aint gonna fit with the Touratech mesh guard so I'll have to modify it somehow. I might just cut the supporting arm off, I reckon it'll be fine without it.

    Keep us informed and pics would be great. Looking at the Virb XE (front and rear) set up myself with the Hex EzCan (with extra spot lights and horn).
    No dont cut off the whole arm, I got the same, it fits. File down the end hook bit on the arm.

    I bought the cheap alloy black frame from China. Covered it in Carbon Vinyl Wrap and used a blade to carefully cut out the holes.

    Yes you are right it doesn't fit with a Touratech Headlight Guard, but I filed off the end of the stabilizing arm, so the 'hook' was 4mm longer (I eventually just broke it off, to be honest). This then allows the arm to reach those 3mm longer for the silver spacers to fit properly. Its works.

    The stabilising arm just wedges behind the securing bolt anyways so it isnt going anywhere.

    Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

  16. #16
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    2,175
    Pics of cheap Chinese Mount with Carbon Vinyl trimmed to suit.

    I thread locked and Super Glued the Go-Pro mount onto the bracket to make absolutely sure it doesn't fall off.

    Good price at £25 delivered

    The Carbon Vinyl suits the colour of the bike as well. Looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

    Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"