Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Hi,

I am very interested in a set up like this for all the reasons given. Be grateful if you post up how you get on with it once you get it up and running!

Ok, time for an update.

Firstly sorry for the delay, its been a busy month.

I finally ended up getting a couple of second hand Garmin Virb camera's. One being a Virb XE and one being a Virb X.

The main reason I wanted the Virb XE and X are that they are WATERPROOF and they can be HARD WIRED TO POWER.

I ride in all weather so waterproof is mission critical.

I never remember to charge batteries, so hard wired is also critical.

I'm not bothered with 4K video quality as I don't want Terrabytes of data on my laptop.

So here it is fitted and hard wired using a 10M Garmin Rugged Cable. I've connected it directly to my HEX EZCAN power controller.

Attachments

• VirbXE1.jpg
    VirbXE1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,396
  • VirbXE2.jpg
    VirbXE2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,347
  • VirbXE3.jpg
    VirbXE3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,430
Now the reason I chose the Garmin Virb XE and X camera's is because Garmin collect data, which can be overlaid onto the video footage.

Garmin as standard have Templates which you can drag and drop.

You'll get things like GPS speed, GPS location, Motion (accelleration, G-force etc), Date and Time.

Which is really cool stuff like in the picture below.

Attachments

• Standard1.jpg
    Standard1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,279
But I'd also heard on the grapevine that these Garmin Virb XE and X models can also connect to OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth devices.

This means you can connect it to your BMW R1200GS OBD2 Port and suck lots of really juicy data out of the bikes ECU, AS YOU RIDE ALONG.

So I bought this one off Amazon.co.uk last night, which arrived today and I connected it up.

It took about 10 attempts as for some reason the Bluetooth Search on the Garmin Virb XE couldn't find it.

But after repeated attempts it did find it, and it now connects everytime without trouble.

I fitted it to the OBD2 port and put it in a waterproof bag (upside down) to protect it from water ingress.

Attachments

• OBD21.jpg
    OBD21.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,325
  • OBD22.jpg
    OBD22.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,405
  • OBD23.jpg
    OBD23.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,267
So now ladies and gentlemen, once the Garmin Virb XE is connected up, and the OBD2 Bluetooth data reader is connected.

I get this on my video footage !!!

Actual Speed, Engine Revs, Engine Temperature, Engine Load, Intake Temperatures, Elevation, Lean Angle, Throttle Position.... all live from the bike

Its absolutely ace.

Attachments

• VirbXE1.jpg
    VirbXE1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,318
  • VirbXE2.jpg
    VirbXE2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,601
Now some of the really clever stuff I found out while setting up this lot.

The Garmin Virb XE can be set to RECORD ON, RECORD OFF, and TAKE PICTURE all from the BMW Navigator VI. Its really handy having the Sat Nav screen as a remote control device.

BUT,

NOW THE KILLER APP.

As I've got the Garmin Video XE set up with live power direct from the bike. When the bike gets turned off it automatically switches over to Virb Battery Power.

This means the Camera can remain switched on while the bike is turned off.

Reason this is brilliant is the GARMIN PHONE APP.

The Garmin Phone App connects to the Garmin Camera via BlueTooth and your can watch the Camera View from your phone up to 100 meters away !

I was in McDonalds at the table, with my Bike parked outside, and I watched all my mates ride in, park up, and walk through the door... On my phone !

Its like remote survailance. I know that might not sound very exciting, but all my mates thought that was just brilliant, and put my phone on the table and we could see all the bikes were safe as we had a direct view on the phone in front of us.

Just be aware that most of those adapters will stay on when they ignition is off. The OBDlink LX and MX have a feature where they turn off when the battery gets to a certain voltage

What do you think? :beerjug:

Just be aware that most of those adapters will stay on when they ignition is off. The OBDlink LX and MX have a feature where they turn off when the battery gets to a certain voltage

Yes mine does stay on thats right.

Now I know it works and that I can see how good it is, I'll upgrade my OBD2 device at some point.. I only paid £11 for it.

My bike is on Optimate at home, so I won't worry to much in the meantime.

Yes mine does stay on thats right.

Now I know it works and that I can see how good it is, I'll upgrade my OBD2 device at some point.. I only paid £11 for it.

My bike is on Optimate at home, so I won't worry to much in the meantime.

Well then you can buy the Motoscan app too and use it like a GS911 so that's an added bonus

I think it's bloody awesome. Personally I'd like to mount the camera in a different location but not sure where else it would fit.

Cheers, I was very happy when I got home to click through all the extra OBD2 data fields.

Oh and if the graphs are two large or wrong colors, you can also change all that. Lots of options in Garmin Virb Edit software.

I wonder if I paid more for a better OBD2 device if I would get more data field options?

Cheers, I was very happy when I got home to click through all the extra OBD2 data fields.

Oh and if the graphs are two large or wrong colors, you can also change all that. Lots of options in Garmin Virb Edit software.

I wonder if I paid more for a better OBD2 device if I would get more data field options?

I had an Ebay cheapy I tested it with and most of it worked except the service reset on the motoscan app. Not sure what else you would get with your application

Big advantage would be you could leave it attached on the bike and not have to worry about the battery being drained

I'm impressed Steve, very impressed.
You might need to fit an erase button in case of mistakes should you ever get a pull. :aidan

All this electrickery is very clever stuff. Good effort m8y you could start a business setting up syatems for numpties like me. :bow

:thumb

I'm impressed Steve, very impressed.
You might need to fit an erase button in case of mistakes should you ever get a pull. :aidan

All this electrickery is very clever stuff. Good effort m8y you could start a business setting up syatems for numpties like me. :bow

:thumb

I already have a business haha. This is supposed to be my hobby :p

But thank you, I've liked how this is turning out :thumb:thumb2

Anyways, on the camera you can set it up on a rolling 5, 10, 20 or 30 minute recording file.

So if you have a notable experience, you can simply stop recording, and restart a new 30 minute file.

If someone pulls you over, just leave the camera recording. It'll overwrite anything older than 30 minutes anyway unless you start a new file.

If you want it to just record everything, then you'll have 10 Hours 30 Minutes worth on a 128GB MicroSD Card. Which is plenty for a days riding.

Lots of options basically, but just TURN OFF the recording via the Navigator VI screen if you want to go for a blast with the hills and sheep. Up to you.

I've been flicking through the Virb Edit Software settings, and the OBD2 settings.

I've managed to increase the RPM Range to 9000 now, which suits our bikes.

I've changed to Statute MPH, Feet, Celsius, UK Gallons etc. But I can't change the date format from American to UK DD/MM/YYYY. argh, it'll only do MM/DD/YYYY.

That's a shame. As everything else can be tweeked

I now have the bracket and camera, might try and assemble it all tomorrow.

I now have the bracket and camera, might try and assemble it all tomorrow.

I've still got to set up the bracket and rear facing Garmin Virb X at some point.

Then both camera's will be synchronised 'Master' and 'Slave' so the footage will be GPS time linked.

What do you think? :beerjug:

OMG :eek:, that is amazing and the footage looks so clear as well. Not a bad idea to have a 'surveillance' mode for those times you (and your mates) are parked up for a break. Technology knows no boundaries.:clap:bow:beerjug::thumb2

Cracking set up but not for me.
Far too easy to incriminate myself with all that data on tap.
The police are very good at sizing sat navs, cameras and home computers to build evidence.

Back
Top Bottom