Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Cheers, I was very happy when I got home to click through all the extra OBD2 data fields.

Oh and if the graphs are two large or wrong colors, you can also change all that. Lots of options in Garmin Virb Edit software.

I wonder if I paid more for a better OBD2 device if I would get more data field options?
    I had an Ebay cheapy I tested it with and most of it worked except the service reset on the motoscan app. Not sure what else you would get with your application

Big advantage would be you could leave it attached on the bike and not have to worry about the battery being drained

Destined to come last Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm impressed Steve, very impressed.
    You might need to fit an erase button in case of mistakes should you ever get a pull.

All this electrickery is very clever stuff. Good effort m8y you could start a business setting up syatems for numpties like me.

Brian

GSA Triple Black
    VW 'Triple Black' Campervan
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe
    Guzzi Le Mans 2, black and gold Coburn and Hughes.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Oldrat View Post
    I'm impressed Steve, very impressed.
    You might need to fit an erase button in case of mistakes should you ever get a pull.

All this electrickery is very clever stuff. Good effort m8y you could start a business setting up syatems for numpties like me.

I already have a business haha. This is supposed to be my hobby

But thank you, I've liked how this is turning out

Anyways, on the camera you can set it up on a rolling 5, 10, 20 or 30 minute recording file.

So if you have a notable experience, you can simply stop recording, and restart a new 30 minute file.

If someone pulls you over, just leave the camera recording. It'll overwrite anything older than 30 minutes anyway unless you start a new file.

If you want it to just record everything, then you'll have 10 Hours 30 Minutes worth on a 128GB MicroSD Card. Which is plenty for a days riding.

Lots of options basically, but just TURN OFF the recording via the Navigator VI screen if you want to go for a blast with the hills and sheep. Up to you.

Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

I've been flicking through the Virb Edit Software settings, and the OBD2 settings.

I've managed to increase the RPM Range to 9000 now, which suits our bikes.

I've changed to Statute MPH, Feet, Celsius, UK Gallons etc. But I can't change the date format from American to UK DD/MM/YYYY. argh, it'll only do MM/DD/YYYY.

That's a shame. As everything else can be tweeked

I now have the bracket and camera, might try and assemble it all tomorrow.
    Edited because I cannot type

Quote Originally Posted by ymfb View Post
    I now have the bracket and camera, might try and assemble it all tomorrow.
    I've still got to set up the bracket and rear facing Garmin Virb X at some point.

Then both camera's will be synchronised 'Master' and 'Slave' so the footage will be GPS time linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    What do you think?
    OMG , that is amazing and the footage looks so clear as well. Not a bad idea to have a 'surveillance' mode for those times you (and your mates) are parked up for a break. Technology knows no boundaries.

I'm just not right in the head

My YouTube Channel, if you're interested

Cracking set up but not for me.
    Far too easy to incriminate myself with all that data on tap.
    The police are very good at sizing sat navs, cameras and home computers to build evidence.

Hi,
    Looks like a great set up and exactly what I have been hoping to get set up. Thanks for this thread. Just wondering where you picked up the cameras and how much they cost?? Did the Garmin power cable come with the cameras or did you have to by them separately.

Also are you limited to two cameras?, was just thinking if you could sync a helmet mounted camera as well you would have a very complete record/view of everything going on, do you know this would be possible??

Thanks & Regards
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Dax_Hewitt View Post
    Cracking set up but not for me.
    Far too easy to incriminate myself with all that data on tap.
    The police are very good at sizing sat navs, cameras and home computers to build evidence.
    That's an understandable reaction from most motorcyclists I guess but remember you have a RECORD OFF button if you really are a bad boy.

But remember all that evidence on camera also assists you in an accident or incident, whereby your side of the story is there in full High Definition.

So its a balance, the recordings are there when you need it, and off when you don't want it.

If you set it up to record on a loop, you only ever have the last 5 minutes recorded anyway.

If you are that paranoid, remember the Police can gather all that Telemetry data directly from the motorcycle anyway, and your Mobile Phone, and the Sat Nav, and all the other vehicles you passed or in the group that have video footage.

Times are changing and Dash Cams are everywhere now. Join the revolution or fail haha

Quote Originally Posted by bogey View Post
    Hi,
    Looks like a great set up and exactly what I have been hoping to get set up. Thanks for this thread. Just wondering where you picked up the cameras and how much they cost?? Did the Garmin power cable come with the cameras or did you have to by them separately.

Also are you limited to two cameras?, was just thinking if you could sync a helmet mounted camera as well you would have a very complete record/view of everything going on, do you know this would be possible??

Thanks & Regards
    B
    Ok good questions.

Garmin (for some absolutely unknown reason) have now discontinued the Garmin Virb XE and X products??? Nuts.

You can still pick them up from retailers that have them in stock, or on eBay. Price varies so shop around.

The newer current model is the Virb Ultra 30, which is 4K. It isn't waterproof as standard unless its in a waterproof case. If its in the waterproof case it cannot be wired directly to the bike. So its bloody useless for all weather unless you want to keep switching batteries every hour? Thats great for some people but a) I never remember to charge the batteries, and b) where do you store all these batteries, and c) its a proper pain in the arse mid ride to keep changing batteries.

The cables I used are Garmin 10M Rugged Cables (Cut down to size). They are cables that you buy separately.

Yes, I do believe you can add more camera's but please don't rely on my information as I'm not a Garmin employee or a Garmin expert. I'm just doing this as a hobby, so go ahead and find out, post it on this thread to help everyone else.

Couple of other pictures from yesterdays ride.

Just for your interest, I added a feature that shows a graph of Altitude, so you get an idea of gradients on my ride.

This is LIVE and the dot moves along the line as you ride it, showing altitude in Feet or Meters.

NOTE: Notice the temps are now in Centigrade and the Revs are 12000 RPM max, the Speedo and Rev Counter is dynamic to cover the range used in the video clip (so if you on track doing 200 mph and 12000 RPM, it'll show that range used plus extra in the graphs.

I'll put together some video footage on YouTube soon, once I've finished messing about with the settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

By the way, all these graphs and readings I'm overlaying onto my video's are not custom programming from me.

I'm just simply dragging and dropping these charts onto my video's in the free Garmin Virb Edit software that you download.

No programming or special knowledge needed.

You can resize the Graphs, Change Colours, Change Ranges, position them wherever you want... lots of flexibility and options.

How long before someone captures the images that are used to prosecute them?

Also, if set to over recorded, will all your footage of that accident you just had be wiped out as your laying in the road?

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Brilliant set up though!

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast