Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim4speed View Post
    Also, if set to over recorded, will all your footage of that accident you just had be wiped out as your laying in the road?
    I haven't got as far as this part yet. But I seem to remember there being a G-Force (write protect) system in place, whereby the camera automatically saves that file and moves onto a new file after a significant G-Force is noted. Like a slamdown, or sudden stop.

So your files, in theory, should be protected

Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe narvey View Post
    How long before someone captures the images that are used to prosecute them?
    If the Police don't witness it first hand or using their own authorised kit, they can't legally go 'fishing' for evidence. They have no legal right to stop you at roadside and start flicking through your camera footage unless they give you the exact reason of which law you've broken and how the video footage would support their evidence.

If they do witness anything law breaking first hand, you're fooked anyways, as it'll be supported by their own kit.

The Police won't have any interest in you or your kit unless you are doing something absolutely stupid, dangerous or actually kill someone.

If a riders Modus Operandi is being a twat, then they can turn the video recording off and wait for natural selection to claim them? Because it will.

Simples

Quote Originally Posted by Tim4speed View Post
    Brilliant set up though!
    Thanks I like it

where is the OBD2 port on a 2017 GSA? - I'm interested in this as a have a Virb Ultra 30

Quote Originally Posted by stevekdavis View Post
    where is the ODB2 port on a 2017 GSA? - I'm interested in this as a have a Virb Ultra 30
    Its alongside your bike battery.

Offside, remove bike battery panel cover, its then on a hook holder sitting next to your battery with a shrouded wire attached to it.

Press the hook back to remove it from its holder.

Remove the protective cover clipped onto the end of it and there you go.

Looks good.

What was the total cost of the setup, excluding the Nav 6? And how long did it take to install?

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    Looks good.

What was the total cost of the setup, excluding the Nav 6? And how long did it take to install?
    Optional Equipment Total = £ 890.63

BMW Navigator VI = £ 675
    HEX EZCan = £ 215.63 (includes shipping and import tax)

The Navigator VI also acts as a remote control recording On/Off. The HEX EZCan powers the camera's in a controlled way (keeps power on even after bike is turned off). But all this isn't needed.

Project Equipment Total = £ 610.93 (for two camera's and associated accessories)

R1200GS Camera Mount from China = £ 24.99
    Garmin Virb XE Camera & Internal Battery = £ 250
    Garmin Virb X Camera & Internal Battery = £ 160
    Garmin Virb Editing Software = Free of Charge
    2 x 128GB MicroSD Class 10 memory cards = £ 113.98
    2 x Garmin Virb Rugged 10 Meter Cables = £ 49.98
    LUJII Mini OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Scanner = £11.98

But if you just want a single front facing camera that will reduce your costs a lot. I've set it up for front and rear.

It was very quick and easy to install. Front Camera takes as long as it takes to mount it on the bike.

Connecting to Navigator VI is almost instant. Then just configure the camera for the settings you want and off you go.

Routing the Rugged Cable through the bike to the rear HEX EZCan was straight forward as well and wires direct.

Setting up the OBD2 Scanner takes around 2 minutes. Once connected it connects every time and the data is automatically uploaded with the video footage for the editing tool

Thanks for the breakdown. Although a very comprehensive solution, that's more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

As I've got more than one bike, does anyone know if there's a helmet mounted bullet cam out there, with front and rear facing cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown. Although a very comprehensive solution, that's more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

As I've got more than one bike, does anyone know if there's a helmet mounted bullet cam out there, with front and rear facing cameras?
    Nutty, have a look at the Garmin Virb 360 camera. (still expensive at around £650 though)

Its a full 360 degree (front and rear camera digitally stitched together).

You will still get your telemetry data overlay, and it'll show footage of ALL AROUND YOU, which is great.

Whats really cool about it, is when you watch the video you can scroll around the screen and view any angle you want.

Have a look on YouTube and use your finger or mouse to scroll around the video screen while its playing. Its like being a passenger in the video lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyThCWKc50

Cracking job Warlord....I'm in. Don't tell the Mrs...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPI[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]C]

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
    Cracking job Warlord....I'm in. Don't tell the Mrs...
    Haha thank you.

Hopefully, collectively, we can build on this idea.

If anyone using this system finds new creative suggestions, please tell !!

Also, what will you be using the footage and telemetry data for?

Leisure / holiday?
    Training?
    Work related?
    Safety?

Whats your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Also, what will you be using the footage and telemetry data for?

Training?
    Work related?
    Safety?

Whats your plan?
    I'm using it for all sorts of things but mainly for the tours I take to Morocco... I currently use GoPro,s but I like the idea of controlling the vibe from nav6.. the number of times I have my go pro on and nothing to film so as soon as I turn it off something appears and I miss it.....hopefully I won't have that problem any longer as I've ordered one from amazon..£294.
    Very informative write up you did..many thanks...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPI[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]C]

Garmin Virb XE

Ok, so I went out on an evening country ride on Wednesday with some friends and associates.

Video isn't spectacular in location or event, but I just wanted to show what the telemetry data looks like on the move.

It'll give you an idea what to expect when you decide to upload your bike data onto the Garmin Virb camera's

Garmin Virb XE - Elevation

Here's a short video of me going over The Mynd in Church Stretton (Shropshire - England).

Its around 1000 feet decent, but video footage doesn't show that easily, so I added an elevation metric to the data.

You can swap and change the graphs, depending on your footage and what you want to show the viewer.

Imagine this data on your most epic journeys through mountains etc.

The Inlet Temperatures show the environment temps as they are the same. So in Winter when its minus 10, you'll be able to see that.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

As the viewer, do you think the video's are more involving for you with the telemetry data on screen?

What do you think?

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast