Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Anyone found the proper manual for the VIRB XE ? If so would you be so kind as to putting up a link.

Thanks

Download the Garmin PC App. It'll allow you to register the product and allow you to download the user manual.

My only feedback would can you get the gear position to show?
And throttle appears to be permanently at 11%?? :augie

But keep up the testing :thumb

I'm going to work on the gear position.

Throttle is weird at 11% but maybe thats how the computer reads it with tickover?

Also, even at wide open throttle, the engine load is 100% but throttle registers 89%.

For some reason?

It looks great, with very clear and stable footage giving the appearance to be very professional. Would like to do something like that, but as I only have a 2012 bike not an option at this time

Are you sure about that?

Can't you get an OBD2 adapter or connect one in some way?

Wow, expensive these cameras to wire up & leave connected, perfect opportunity for a thief to have a great day me thinks..

Not much more expensive than other bolt on parts that can quickly be removed.

Like your plastic Mudsling, instrument panel, MRA X-Creen, Givi Panniers, Navigator... etc

Half the stuff on a GSA can be quickly unbolted or pulled off with the right tools.

Its like a mobile display rack as it is :D

Also, for those that download the Virb Phone App....

Remember you can remotely connect via your phone and view live footage from the cameras.

Great for remote surveillance

One little thing I don't like is when you stop for coffee or whatever you just pop open the GoPro case and take out the camera.....with the garmin you have to unbolt it .....

Attachments

• IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 516
I think thats the 'rugged' part lol

One little thing I don't like is when you stop for coffee or whatever you just pop open the GoPro case and take out the camera.....with the garmin you have to unbolt it .....

There is a tether loop on it so it would be prudent to get a security wire attached. Saves it from disappearing down the road if bolt comes undone.

The key part for me was the Garmins ability to be Waterproof and connect a remote hard wire cable.

It allows perminent fixture in any weather and available at anytime I want it. The security isn't terrible as it can be fixed with a security bolt and tethered.

That had a higher priority for me than anything else.

Remembering to charge batteries and swap them over was too inconvenient for me.

Its what you prioritise I guess.

The key part for me was the Garmins ability to be Waterproof and connect a remote hard wire cable.

It allows perminent fixture in any weather and available at anytime I want it. The security isn't terrible as it can be fixed with a security bolt and tethered.

to
Mmm....I like the camera so far...playing with it today....I have noticed that when the sat nav is on the pic / vid screen it loses connection a few times and then when I come to take a shot it has to be reconnected....
Are things like the tether and security bolt available from garmin ?
I assume the power cable also from garmin ?
I certainly needs to be wired in as the battery life is poor...strange considering the battery is double the size of a GoPro battery.

Download the Garmin PC App. It'll allow you to register the product and allow you to download the user manual.

Thanks, registered and added it tory Garmin Express and hey presto.

Have you got any footage available to view?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you got any footage available to view?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a read back through this thread as I've posted footage examples.

I am trying to get my mount sorted, I have all the bits like this but for the end connecting to the bike, wonder if you can point in the right direction?

Issues...

I'm still in my testing phase with the Garmin Virb Camera's and have identified some issues.

1) The Gear Indicator on the motorcycle can't easily be read by the standard OBD2 ELM327 devices. Reason being the Gear Indicator is a Proprietary Parameter ID (PID). It's BMW Specific, not generic. So that's me stuffed unless I can find a way of building my own OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth device which will scrape that data and connect to the Garmin Virb XE... sounds like a project?

2) My Telemetry data sometimes (and so far appears to be random) stops. It just disconnects? You can see it happen in my 'Oil on Road' video below

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LxMeHNusdAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- A) I'm not sure if its engine heat related, so I've decided to buy an OBD2 1 meter extension cable and relocate the device under my seat. It literally just fits. So this should provide better water cover and reduce engine heat.

- B) I'm not sure if its timing out with the connection with the Virb XE (but I've discounted this as other videos show connections for 40 minutes plus...

- C) Its corrupt data. This could be plausible as my videos are setup to overwrite the file every 30 minutes. So if my file gets overwritten during its recording it could corrupt the data telemetry. So I'm going to turn off the Loop Recording option, and just let it run. 128GB MicroSD can handle 10 hours 30 minutes on a single card, so I'm good for lots of data.

See what happens.

Attachments

• OBD2.jpg
    OBD2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 656
So I've changed a couple of things recently.

I've moved the OBD2 Connector to under the seat, and changed the recording to 'Non Loop' and things have improved slightly, in that I now get the telemetry data on most of my files (regardless of duration).

However, midway through my days riding I noticed the OBD2 had completely been lost by my Garmin camera (it wasn't even listed in the Bluetooth connections). So I had to repair it and start over.

I think its going to be a weird intermittent connection loss. So worth checking every now and then if the data is important to your video footage. Pain as it is.

Anyways, I also swapped over my graphs on the video's, and straightened up my camera mount so it now shows 0 Degrees when stood up straight. I've added an 'acceleration and braking 'G' Force meter and an old fashioned 'odometer' which works in real time.

I think the new graph layout is more intuitive with the throttle readings on the right hand side (as in real life). :thumb2

Attachments

• New Dash Layout.jpg
    New Dash Layout.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 574
But here's the big change for today.

I got around to fitting my rear view camera as a 'slave' unit to the front 'master' unit.

This means it'll do whatever the front camera is doing.

So when I use my Navigator VI Sat Nav screen as a remote 'Record On' it now turns BOTH camera's on. The video footage is then synchronised by GPS Time Stamp so its really easy for editing later on.

Bloody clever set up if you ask me :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Attachments

• Soldering.jpg
    Soldering.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 592
  • Soldering1.jpg
    Soldering1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 572
  • Virb1.jpg
    Virb1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 647
  • Virb2.jpg