Virb4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 585
  • Virb5.jpg
    Virb5.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 617
  • Virb6.jpg
    Virb6.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 588
I'll get some footage up shortly, flicking between front and rear camera as I ride along.

All looks good so far. The only downside is I can't connect my OBD2 to the second camera, as its already connected to the front camera.

But I might be able to upload the Telemetry data and overlay it onto the rear camera (with different Graph View, appropriate to the viewing angle).

More playing needed.

Attachments

• Virb7.jpg
    Virb7.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 578
Oh, and the rear camera 'JUST' fits in nicely with the GIVI pannier racks and side panniers in place. So no need to remove it on tour.
:beerjug:

Mighty impressive set up Warlord made even better by the step by step thread that you have kept going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work Steve. Well beyond my skills to set up though.:beerjug:

BTW - off piste- wonder why the police rider left the oil scene like that, he'll only get a call straighyt back to another possibly more serious prang.

Great work Steve. Well beyond my skills to set up though.:beerjug:

Hey, you're a clever chap, its only a case of breaking it all down into bits... learning about each one, then putting it all together.

I'm totally in the hands of the hardware and software developers. I'm only connecting stuff.

BTW - off piste- wonder why the police rider left the oil scene like that, he'll only get a call straight back to another possibly more serious prang.

The Police Officer was attending that 'crashed' motorcyclist. As he didn't appear to be injured, the motorcyclist obviously wanted to leave the scene. In my opinion the Police Officer was following him to ensure he and his bike were fit to proceed. The officer can't force the guy not to ride his bike or to receive medical attention (you know how some blokes are properly stubborn), but he can pull him over if he see's him doing anything dangerous further down the road (like concussion symptoms or lack of attention, which equally could do him harm). His priority probably was the immediate attention to the crashed rider maybe (he may have been genuinely concerned over his well-being?) Not expecting us lot barrelling towards it on £60,000 worth of new motorcycles, so soon !!!

In the meantime a Patrol Car was heading to the junction to mark it up, but there was a 5 minute gap in between where nobody except me and my mates were watching it.

That scene in the dark would have been life threatening.

Another addition to the gadget family this morning is some extra storage for all these new video files.

In my day (30 years ago) I was writing code constrained to Kilobytes. Kilobytes memory was good and Megabytes was for hardcore businesses.

Anyways, Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes all history.

How you need at least Terabytes or Petabytes.

A Terabyte is basically a 1000 Gigabytes. a Gigabyte is a 1000 Megabytes and so on.

So not going to mad, I purchased a 5 Terabyte Storage Unit from Seagate (I have a couple of other Terabyte units which have been reliable for me).

So now with TWO camera's both punching out 1080p footage, on a 128GB Memory Card each (which gives around 10 Hours filming)

That equates to 250GB per 10 Hours (a days ride front and rear camera's). So now I can store 20 DAYS riding on a 5TB storage unit.

However, in reality, I will be deleting a lot of raw footage after I've processed a useful video from it. So maybe I'll get a lot more on it.

Attachments

• Seagate.jpg
    Seagate.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 557
  • Seagate1.jpg
    Seagate1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 625
Garmin Virb X

Right then, got the Garmin Virb X Rear Camera mounted, wired up and ready for action.

Here is a short clip on its maiden voyage. Some of my mates leaving meeting place for a rideout yesterday.

Great view, great quality, great sound, love it.

Ideally placed as you can see reflections of my brake and indicator lights (might be useful?)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Az4NtVe0NgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In addition to the above taster video.

The really clever bit is when you get it all back home.

Uploading BOTH front and rear camera footage directly into Garmin Virb Edit Software is very easy. It sorts out the links between the two video's and the Telemetric Data.

As soon as you select a video clip, it knows you have footage with the same date and time stamp, and asks you if you want to upload both files.

This means you can now mix and match your viewing angle from both front and rear camera.

So on screen you can have:-

1) Front Camera View only
2) Rear Camera View only
3) Front Camera View with Rear Camera view (Picture in Picture and placed anywhere on the screen)
4) Rear Camera View with Front Camera view (Picture in Picture and placed anywhere on the screen)
5) Front and Rear Camera View (Split half and half)

You can then select which camera audio you want.

You can then select which camera G-Metric data you want.

This is brilliant because you can only connect one Bluetooth Device to each camera. So in theory (I haven't tested this yet) but you could connect your OBD2 Data to front Camera, then Connect your Bluetooth Helmet microphone by Bluetooth to Rear Camera. So then you would have audio overlay, alongside telemetric data (all synchronised).

:thumb2

Attachments

• Virb Edit 1.jpg
    Virb Edit 1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 550
  • Virb Edit 2.jpg
    Virb Edit 2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 555
After reading this thread I have purchased the Virbe XE and am waiting for the Vibe X as a rear which are on special for 50 pound in Australia. Questions I have are:-

Nav Vi seems to need to reconnect each time I want to stop start using the app? I have the camera on loop mode and Burst for photos so this may be the issue.

I have read that Loop mode only saves the last loop not every loop recorded , I have not had a chance to try but wondering if this is the OPS experience?

With 128 Gig card down load of file must take some time , I have purchase a T bite drive as well portable to get each days data for future use.

After reading this thread I have purchased the Virbe XE and am waiting for the Vibe X as a rear which are on special for 50 pound in Australia. Questions I have are:-

Nav Vi seems to need to reconnect each time I want to stop start using the app? I have the camera on loop mode and Burst for photos so this may be the issue.

I have read that Loop mode only saves the last loop not every loop recorded , I have not had a chance to try but wondering if this is the OPS experience?

With 128 Gig card down load of file must take some time , I have purchase a T bite drive as well portable to get each days data for future use.

Regarding 'Loop'. Yes I have same experience. Unless you stop and start a fresh recording and then a new 'loop' starts.

So I've now just set it up to record 'non loop' as I can just leave the cameras on.

128 GB cards are about 10 hours worth.

Depends if you want it on record all the time

Regarding 'Loop'. Yes I have same experience. Unless you stop and start a fresh recording and then a new 'loop' starts.

So I've now just set it up to record 'non loop' as I can just leave the cameras on.

128 GB cards are about 10 hours worth.

Depends if you want it on record all the time

Thanks for that, wondering if it breaks the non stop recording into smaller file sizes? Pain in the arse going through 10 hours , I notice on loop it breaks the files into 2 minute duration which is OK, 5 minutes would be better . I am heading out on a long trip and getting this sorted is my last task.

Thanks for that, wondering if it breaks the non stop recording into smaller file sizes? Pain in the arse going through 10 hours , I notice on loop it breaks the files into 2 minute duration which is OK, 5 minutes would be better . I am heading out on a long trip and getting this sorted is my last task.

But on continous recording, use your remote to stop start every now and then and break up the file sizes.

Thats what I do. Even if its every hour or so.

I now record everything. All 10 hours worth.

What I don't think is interesting, someone else in the group might want footage

If its a rubbish, just format your cards at end of each day.

Also wondering how fast is the cable connection for downloading the video files? Is it any quicker removing the card and using USB 3 port??

Also wondering how fast is the cable connection for downloading the video files? Is it any quicker removing the card and using USB 3 port??

That I don't know sorry.

Will be interesting to find out how transfer of data goes. This thread has given me some good ideas, pity that loop mode is not a continuous loop but at least I did not make the mistake of using before heading off.

Back
Top Bottom