Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by harebear View Post
    Cheers Boshman
    Could you let me know which one?
    I really fancy putting one on my Gs
    Thanks
    One like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-ELM32...MAAOSwxbtZpkzg

What year is your bike? pre-EU4 bikes dont have the standard OBDII plug so they will need a converter cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Boshman View Post
    One like this:

What year is your bike? pre-EU4 bikes dont have the standard OBDII plug so they will need a converter cable.
    What year is yours? I havent tried it on my 2016 GS but did on my 2015 S1000R but it didn't work. I found a few threads in the Garmin forum and no one was able to get it to work. I will confirm my GS tomorrow but thinking only the models with the new connector will work

Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    What year is yours? I havent tried it on my 2016 GS but did on my 2015 S1000R but it didn't work. I found a few threads in the Garmin forum and no one was able to get it to work. I will confirm my GS tomorrow but thinking only the models with the new connector will work
    You may be correct. I got mine December 2016 so it's an EU4 model with the OBDII plug next to the battery behind the right-hand side cover.

You may be correct. I got mine December 2016 so it's an EU4 model with the OBDII plug next to the battery behind the right-hand side cover.
    When I connect it to my S1000R I can see the OBD2 unit sending data but nothing shows up in Virb Edit. I'll try the GS in a couple hours as only 6:00AM here

Confirmed

OBD2 data does not work with my 2015 S1000R or 2016 R1200GS but does work fine with my 2013 Mazda 6. I used a OBDlink MX and the rebadged Garmin version of the same device.

Confirmed

OBD2 data does not work with my 2015 S1000R or 2016 R1200GS but does work fine with my 2013 Mazda 6. I used a OBDlink MX and the rebadged Garmin version of the same device.
    ah bugger not unexpected thou
    thanks for trying

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Reading this interesting thread with great interest and purchased most recommended stuff also and works all great so far...

One thing I don't like is that the OBD2 module needs to be unplugged to prevent draining the battery...and since I'm a lazy IT guy....
    Googling around I found that pin 16 has permanent 12v+ on it. So it would only be a matter of creating something which takes care of that pin connection while the bike is not on contact/running..

If you are using the same extension cable as Warlord has in his shopping list, the wire color is orange/white which corresponds with pin 16 (decided to offer one cable to find out )..
    I don't use a EZCan (yet) which could be used as switch, but I have an AutoCom powerswitch which I use as a relay, so opened the extension cable, cut the orange/white wire and have it connected behind the AutoCom relay switch so power will be provided only when the bike is on contact/running.

Just throwing it out there for anyone else who is lazy as well...

Confirmed

Worth trying a cheap chinese module. I initially brought the OBDLink MX and it did work but only very intermittently. The cheap Chinese one has worked flawlessly so far on mine!

For less than a fiver it's got to be worth a punt!

Worth trying a cheap chinese module. I initially brought the OBDLink MX and it did work but only very intermittently. The cheap Chinese one has worked flawlessly so far on mine!

For less than a fiver it's got to be worth a punt!
    Yeah, my cheap OBD2 bluetooth reader off Amazon cost £11 and works every time.

Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Yeah, my cheap OBD2 bluetooth reader off Amazon cost £11 and works every time.
    Add another £15-20 for a cable as even late 2016 bikes still have the stupid 10 pin connecter

One like this:

Sorry for the late reply, I've got a 2017 GSA same as yours I think

I've noticed some (but not all) of the 10-pin to ODBII cables have an additional tail for what looks like power input.

Does than mean the 10pin socket does not provide any power output? That could explain the bluetooth OBDII dongle not working!?

Gorge du Guil

I've posted this in the ride report section but thought I'd link it here too for the VIRB fans.

I stripped off most of the G-metrix info as it detracted from the amazing road and views! This has got to be my all time best early morning ride ever. I had a grin from ear to ear the whole way.

Okay so here goes.......

Have fitted my Virb XE to my 2016 GS Triple Black.
    Connected a round OBD (BMW end) to standard OBD extension cable.
    Fitted a cheapy Bluetooth OBD Reader as per Warlords.
    Managed eventually to get the Virb XE to see the reader and is now connected to it.

I have run the bike in the garage admittedly and then downloaded the video which is fine but I can't find the additional G-Metrix Data which should have come from the reader so I am not sure if the reader is sending any data to the XE.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fagin View Post
    Okay so here goes.......

Have fitted my Virb XE to my 2016 GS Triple Black.
    Connected a round OBD (BMW end) to standard OBD extension cable.
    Fitted a cheapy Bluetooth OBD Reader as per Warlords.
    Managed eventually to get the Virb XE to see the reader and is now connected to it.

I have run the bike in the garage admittedly and then downloaded the video which is fine but I can't find the additional G-Metrix Data which should have come from the reader so I am not sure if the reader is sending any data to the XE.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
    Look at my post a few above and confirmed not to work on the round plug bikes

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast