Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've used a Drift Helmet Camera in the past but got fed up of uploading, editing and storing video content. Its just too time consuming.

But on the Navigator 6 it suggests I can connect multiple (front and rear) Garmin Virb XE Cameras, and then control them from my Satnav Screen.

I'm thinking of live streaming or video storage on a loop. Safety reasons mainly in the event of an emergency where video footage would be useful. Or for mini tours so family can see what Im up to.

What also appeals to me is..

A) I can connect my helmet Bluetooth microphone (Scala G4 ??).

B) I can connect cameras to bike battery so dont have to keep charging them (or remembering to)

C) If I wanted, I can live stream video content via mobile phone.

Anyone doing this already on BMW GS using Garmin Navigator.

Thanks for any useful feedback.

Wow, expensive these cameras to wire up & leave connected, perfect opportunity for a thief to have a great day methinks..

Does the Nav 6 control any other cameras.?

snaponphil; said:

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use my Garmin 390 to control my Virb Elite.

However, if you want it to simply loop as a just in case, the GPS equipped Virb (mine is the older version so not sure if the XE has gps), you can have it autostart record when moving.

I guess the disadvantage is that it also automatically ceases when you stop - might miss the action and/or confessions of guilt

Wow, expensive these cameras to wire up & leave connected, perfect opportunity for a thief to have a great day methinks..

I think its just a mini USB connector wire. Easily unplugged when temporarily removing cameras.

I dont know about the waterproofing when wired to the battery?

Right, having done some research I'm going for it.

I've decided to order a Garmin Virb XE camera (front facing on my bike at 1080p / 60 FPS) and the lower specced Garmin Virb X for rear facing 1080p / 30 FPS.

They will be hard wired into my new HEX EZCAN device on the aux channel. My new Aux Lights on left and right channel and the remaining channel for extra rear brake lights.

The Garmin cameras will have 128GB memory cards on a loop recording and paired together with the front camera (host) rear camera (slave).

The front/rear video footage is GPS timestamped and will auto syncronise.

Now the clever stuff.... the cameras are paired also to my Bmw Navigator VI satnav. I can use the screen for recording on/off etc.

But... it should also upload the bikes telemetry data in sync with the video recordings. How much data I dont know yet, but playback should be epic, showing video footage, GPS, speed, revs, altitude, heart rate... tons of stuff.

Also, the Sat Nav is paired to my phone which is paired to my Bluetooth headset in helmet. So audio from microphone should be overlaid onto camera footage.

All with no wires!!

Cool (if I got my info right and if it works).

Right, having done some research I'm going for it.

I've decided to order a Garmin Virb XE camera (front facing on my bike at 1080p / 60 FPS) and the lower specced Garmin Virb X for rear facing 1080p / 30 FPS.

They will be hard wired into my new HEX EZCAN device on the aux channel. My new Aux Lights on left and right channel and the remaining channel for extra rear brake lights.

The Garmin cameras will have 128GB memory cards on a loop recording and paired together with the front camera (host) rear camera (slave).

Now the clever stuff.... the cameras are paired also to my Bmw Navigator VI satnav. I can use the screen for recording on/off etc.

But... it should also upload the bikes telemetry data in sync with the video recordings. How much data I dont know yet, but playback should be epic, showing video footage, GPS, speed, revs, altitude, heart rate... tons of stuff.

Also, the Sat Nav is paired to my phone which is paired to my Bluetooth headset in helmet. So audio from microphone should be overlaid onto camera footage.

All with no wires!!

Cool (if I got my info right and if it works).

Cool.. price of cameras.? Where from.?

AWESOME...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hrmm keen to see how you set these up on the bike. I've had nothing but charging issues lately with my GoPro's.

this is all something that i am considering... please keep us up to date with how you get on, Warlord.... mind, i need to buy the lot, including the HEX EZCAN... going to cost much wonga, me thinks :D

this is all something that i am considering... please keep us up to date with how you get on, Warlord.... mind, i need to buy the lot, including the HEX EZCAN... going to cost much wonga, me thinks :D

Should be a good project.

I spoke with Garmin UK this morning to confirm and provide information on some of my unanswered questions.

a) It appears that everything I can get on my Nav VI device, can be scraped into video footage. ie RPM, Speed, GPS Location, Engine Temp, Tyre Pressures etc... Garmin seemed confident this can be easily done through their integration and latest video editing software. However, just how much stuff I can scrape onto the final video remains to be seen. Good if it can do things like Gear Position, Lean Angle, RPM, etc... but not sure until I get it set up.

b) Your Nav VI Screen will not display the video footage, you need to pair a Smart Phone for this feature.

c) Garmin recommend their Rugged 10 Meter Power Cable to connect to power source on bike. But I might see if we can utilise the existing charging cable with USB connector to HEX EZCAN twin USB port? Need to play around with this to avoid Garmin Cable prices.

d) You can pair two Garmin Virb units with different frame rate settings and still merge the footage into final edit (ie Virb X at 30 FPS and Virb XE at 60 FPS), which is what I thought but wanted to check.

e) Camera's can be set up for a rolling recording in time slots. Example, 15 minute recording segments until end of memory on card, then starts from beginning overwriting oldest files first. So that's ideal on a 128GB card as should last a while.

Right.. my GSA Battleship is getting close to being completed now with all my mods.

The Hex EzCan is due to arrive today or tomorrow.

I'm about to order two Garmin Virb XE cameras.

One front facing fitted on a Garmin/GoPro compatible fixed aluminium bracket.

But any suggestions where I could mount a rear facing arse camera? :augie

On the topbox or attached to the frames would be my bet.

I got myself one of them Wunderlich copies from China but it aint gonna fit with the Touratech mesh guard so I'll have to modify it somehow. I might just cut the supporting arm off, I reckon it'll be fine without it.

Keep us informed and pics would be great. Looking at the Virb XE (front and rear) set up myself with the Hex EzCan (with extra spot lights and horn).

On the topbox or attached to the frames would be my bet.

I got myself one of them Wunderlich copies from China but it aint gonna fit with the Touratech mesh guard so I'll have to modify it somehow. I might just cut the supporting arm off, I reckon it'll be fine without it.

Keep us informed and pics would be great. Looking at the Virb XE (front and rear) set up myself with the Hex EzCan (with extra spot lights and horn).

No dont cut off the whole arm, I got the same, it fits. File down the end hook bit on the arm.

I bought the cheap alloy black frame from China. Covered it in Carbon Vinyl Wrap and used a blade to carefully cut out the holes.

Yes you are right it doesn't fit with a Touratech Headlight Guard, but I filed off the end of the stabilizing arm, so the 'hook' was 4mm longer (I eventually just broke it off, to be honest). This then allows the arm to reach those 3mm longer for the silver spacers to fit properly. Its works.

The stabilising arm just wedges behind the securing bolt anyways so it isnt going anywhere.

Pics of cheap Chinese Mount with Carbon Vinyl trimmed to suit.

I thread locked and Super Glued the Go-Pro mount onto the bracket to make absolutely sure it doesn't fall off.

Good price at £25 delivered :thumb2

The Carbon Vinyl suits the colour of the bike as well. Looks good.

Attachments

• Mount 1.jpg
    Mount 1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 4,027
  • Mount 2.jpg
    Mount 2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 4,106
Pics of cheap Chinese Mount with Carbon Vinyl trimmed to suit.

I thread locked and Super Glued the Go-Pro mount onto the bracket to make absolutely sure it doesn't fall off.

Good price at £25 delivered :thumb2

The Carbon Vinyl suits the colour of the bike as well. Looks good.

Ahh good to know. I'll give it another go at some point then. I'll probably just need to loosen up the head light guard arms and jiggle it about bit. I was thinking the same re the bolt.

Ahh good to know. I'll give it another go at some point then. I'll probably just need to loosen up the head light guard arms and jiggle it about bit. I was thinking the same re the bolt.

Yep that'll do it.

This could be useful as I've conceded that recording trips is all too much of a hassle. I just end up with hours of footage that I can't relate to when watching it back later for editing. Being able to easily overlay an updating map (google etc) would be amazing.

If the cameras also came with a free editing monkey I'd definitely in! :D

This could be useful as I've conceded that recording trips is all too much of a hassle. I just end up with hours of footage that I can't relate to when watching it back later for editing. Being able to easily overlay an updating map (google etc) would be amazing.

If the cameras also came with a free editing monkey I'd definitely in! :D

Yes thats my opinion.

I've got a helmet mounted camera that I bought in 2012. Got some great footage but became tired of constantly editing hours of footage. And trying to store Terrabytes of crap only your elderly Mum would want to watch.

I've got to the point now where I just want front and rear 'evidence' footage that I can call upon, or download epic moments.

In addition to that, the bikes telemetry data overlay might be extremely useful for 'Associate' advanced training.

Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Revs all overlaid onto footage would be great to use, especially when showing examples of wheelies.. er no... erm, overtakes.

Garmin provide free editing software also.

Back
Top Bottom