Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Hello all,

I have a Navigator V on my 2016 GS Triple Black and after seeing the Warlord's thread about fitting Garmin cameras I have decided to do the same but just using a front facing Virb XE to start with.

Camera has arrived and I have successfully connected it to the Nav V via Bluetooth, trouble is I can find where to control the start stop of the XE using the Nav V.

Have spoken to Garmin Tech Support and sadly this is not an option on the Navigator V :blast:blast:blast

Being a Blood Biker I have access to Garmin items at trade plus VAT prices so have ordered a remote unit and bar mount. I can get anything Garmin but also other stuff too if anyone is needing anything?

For example the rugged power cable for the Virb X/XE is around £39.99rrp and we get discounted price of £27.99 :thumby::thumby::thumby:

that's very generous of ya but I'm ok for Garmin bits at the mo
thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

anyone with a Bluetooth gs-911 know if it connects to a virb cam with the ecu data?
thanks

A different POV

For something a bit different, I did a run down from the summit of Col d'Izoard towards Guillestre with the camera attached to the side case!
Bike and me take away more of the view than I would have liked but Meh! its kinda cool. :D

Also, see if you can spot the Deer at 3:57!

For something a bit different, I did a run down from the summit of Col d'Izoard towards Guillestre with the camera attached the the side case!
Bike and me take away more of the view than I would have liked but Meh! its kinda cool. :D

Also, see if you can spot the Deer at 3:57!

Nice clip :thumb2
Which camera are you using in this clip....XE or X ?

Cheers Boshman....Thought it might have been, all the clips I've seen (about 3) taken with the X seem to suffer from a lower image quality so I'm holding out for a reasonably priced XE.

nice footage, just shows how little ya move the bars!
non bike riders think ta going from lock to lock.

makes be wanna get mine connected up to the ecu, 2 weekends in Scotland next month!

hex ezcan was fitted yesterday

Hi Boshman
Nice footage
How did get the RPM and temperatures displaying on the Virb. I have and Garmin Ultra but don't see those. Do you have a additional bluetooth setup?

Cheers. Yes I have a £5 bluetooth OBDII module plugged in and connected to the VIRB XE. It provides the RPM, throttle position, engine load, Engine temp and Intake temp.

Cheers Boshman
Could you let me know which one?
I really fancy putting one on my Gs
Thanks

One like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-ELM327-V2-1-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Android-Torque-Auto-Diagnostic-Scan-Tool-/192292672114?hash=item2cc5895272:g:CiMAAOSwxbtZpkzg

What year is your bike? pre-EU4 bikes dont have the standard OBDII plug so they will need a converter cable.

What year is yours? I havent tried it on my 2016 GS but did on my 2015 S1000R but it didn't work. I found a few threads in the Garmin forum and no one was able to get it to work. I will confirm my GS tomorrow but thinking only the models with the new connector will work

What year is yours? I havent tried it on my 2016 GS but did on my 2015 S1000R but it didn't work. I found a few threads in the Garmin forum and no one was able to get it to work. I will confirm my GS tomorrow but thinking only the models with the new connector will work

You may be correct. I got mine December 2016 so it's an EU4 model with the OBDII plug next to the battery behind the right-hand side cover.

You may be correct. I got mine December 2016 so it's an EU4 model with the OBDII plug next to the battery behind the right-hand side cover.

When I connect it to my S1000R I can see the OBD2 unit sending data but nothing shows up in Virb Edit. I'll try the GS in a couple hours as only 6:00AM here :)

Confirmed :(

OBD2 data does not work with my 2015 S1000R or 2016 R1200GS but does work fine with my 2013 Mazda 6. I used a OBDlink MX and the rebadged Garmin version of the same device.

Confirmed :(

OBD2 data does not work with my 2015 S1000R or 2016 R1200GS but does work fine with my 2013 Mazda 6. I used a OBDlink MX and the rebadged Garmin version of the same device.
ah bugger not unexpected thou
thanks for trying

Reading this interesting thread with great interest and purchased most recommended stuff also and works all great so far...:thumb2

One thing I don't like is that the OBD2 module needs to be unplugged to prevent draining the battery...and since I'm a lazy IT guy....
Googling around I found that pin 16 has permanent 12v+ on it. So it would only be a matter of creating something which takes care of that pin connection while the bike is not on contact/running..

If you are using the same extension cable as Warlord has in his shopping list, the wire color is orange/white which corresponds with pin 16 (decided to offer one cable to find out ;) )..
I don't use a EZCan (yet) which could be used as switch, but I have an AutoCom powerswitch which I use as a relay, so opened the extension cable, cut the orange/white wire and have it connected behind the AutoCom relay switch so power will be provided only when the bike is on contact/running.

Just throwing it out there for anyone else who is lazy as well... ;)

Back
Top Bottom