Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Hi,
Looks like a great set up and exactly what I have been hoping to get set up. Thanks for this thread. Just wondering where you picked up the cameras and how much they cost?? Did the Garmin power cable come with the cameras or did you have to by them separately.

Also are you limited to two cameras?, was just thinking if you could sync a helmet mounted camera as well you would have a very complete record/view of everything going on, do you know this would be possible??

Thanks & Regards
B

Cracking set up but not for me.
Far too easy to incriminate myself with all that data on tap.
The police are very good at sizing sat navs, cameras and home computers to build evidence.

That's an understandable reaction from most motorcyclists I guess but remember you have a RECORD OFF button if you really are a bad boy.

But remember all that evidence on camera also assists you in an accident or incident, whereby your side of the story is there in full High Definition.

So its a balance, the recordings are there when you need it, and off when you don't want it.

If you set it up to record on a loop, you only ever have the last 5 minutes recorded anyway.

If you are that paranoid, remember the Police can gather all that Telemetry data directly from the motorcycle anyway, and your Mobile Phone, and the Sat Nav, and all the other vehicles you passed or in the group that have video footage.

Times are changing and Dash Cams are everywhere now. Join the revolution or fail haha

Hi,
Looks like a great set up and exactly what I have been hoping to get set up. Thanks for this thread. Just wondering where you picked up the cameras and how much they cost?? Did the Garmin power cable come with the cameras or did you have to by them separately.

Also are you limited to two cameras?, was just thinking if you could sync a helmet mounted camera as well you would have a very complete record/view of everything going on, do you know this would be possible??

Thanks & Regards
B

Ok good questions.

Garmin (for some absolutely unknown reason) have now discontinued the Garmin Virb XE and X products??? Nuts.

You can still pick them up from retailers that have them in stock, or on eBay. Price varies so shop around.

The newer current model is the Virb Ultra 30, which is 4K. It isn't waterproof as standard unless its in a waterproof case. If its in the waterproof case it cannot be wired directly to the bike. So its bloody useless for all weather unless you want to keep switching batteries every hour? Thats great for some people but a) I never remember to charge the batteries, and b) where do you store all these batteries, and c) its a proper pain in the arse mid ride to keep changing batteries.

The cables I used are Garmin 10M Rugged Cables (Cut down to size). They are cables that you buy separately.

Yes, I do believe you can add more camera's but please don't rely on my information as I'm not a Garmin employee or a Garmin expert. I'm just doing this as a hobby, so go ahead and find out, post it on this thread to help everyone else.

Couple of other pictures from yesterdays ride.

Just for your interest, I added a feature that shows a graph of Altitude, so you get an idea of gradients on my ride.

This is LIVE and the dot moves along the line as you ride it, showing altitude in Feet or Meters.

NOTE: Notice the temps are now in Centigrade and the Revs are 12000 RPM max, the Speedo and Rev Counter is dynamic to cover the range used in the video clip (so if you on track doing 200 mph and 12000 RPM, it'll show that range used plus extra in the graphs.

I'll put together some video footage on YouTube soon, once I've finished messing about with the settings. :thumb2

Attachments

• VirbXE3.jpg
    VirbXE3.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 976
  • VirbXE4.jpg
    VirbXE4.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 952
By the way, all these graphs and readings I'm overlaying onto my video's are not custom programming from me.

I'm just simply dragging and dropping these charts onto my video's in the free Garmin Virb Edit software that you download.

No programming or special knowledge needed.

You can resize the Graphs, Change Colours, Change Ranges, position them wherever you want... lots of flexibility and options.

How long before someone captures the images that are used to prosecute them?

Also, if set to over recorded, will all your footage of that accident you just had be wiped out as your laying in the road?

Also, if set to over recorded, will all your footage of that accident you just had be wiped out as your laying in the road?

I haven't got as far as this part yet. But I seem to remember there being a G-Force (write protect) system in place, whereby the camera automatically saves that file and moves onto a new file after a significant G-Force is noted. Like a slamdown, or sudden stop.

So your files, in theory, should be protected

How long before someone captures the images that are used to prosecute them?

If the Police don't witness it first hand or using their own authorised kit, they can't legally go 'fishing' for evidence. They have no legal right to stop you at roadside and start flicking through your camera footage unless they give you the exact reason of which law you've broken and how the video footage would support their evidence.

If they do witness anything law breaking first hand, you're fooked anyways, as it'll be supported by their own kit.

The Police won't have any interest in you or your kit unless you are doing something absolutely stupid, dangerous or actually kill someone.

If a riders Modus Operandi is being a twat, then they can turn the video recording off and wait for natural selection to claim them? Because it will.

Simples

where is the OBD2 port on a 2017 GSA? - I'm interested in this as a have a Virb Ultra 30

where is the ODB2 port on a 2017 GSA? - I'm interested in this as a have a Virb Ultra 30

Its alongside your bike battery.

Offside, remove bike battery panel cover, its then on a hook holder sitting next to your battery with a shrouded wire attached to it.

Press the hook back to remove it from its holder.

Remove the protective cover clipped onto the end of it and there you go.

Looks good.:thumb

What was the total cost of the setup, excluding the Nav 6? And how long did it take to install?

Looks good.:thumb

What was the total cost of the setup, excluding the Nav 6? And how long did it take to install?

Optional Equipment Total = £ 890.63

BMW Navigator VI = £ 675
HEX EZCan = £ 215.63 (includes shipping and import tax)

The Navigator VI also acts as a remote control recording On/Off. The HEX EZCan powers the camera's in a controlled way (keeps power on even after bike is turned off). But all this isn't needed.

Project Equipment Total = £ 610.93 (for two camera's and associated accessories)

R1200GS Camera Mount from China = £ 24.99
Garmin Virb XE Camera & Internal Battery = £ 250
Garmin Virb X Camera & Internal Battery = £ 160
Garmin Virb Editing Software = Free of Charge
2 x 128GB MicroSD Class 10 memory cards = £ 113.98
2 x Garmin Virb Rugged 10 Meter Cables = £ 49.98
LUJII Mini OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Scanner = £11.98

But if you just want a single front facing camera that will reduce your costs a lot. I've set it up for front and rear.

It was very quick and easy to install. Front Camera takes as long as it takes to mount it on the bike.

Connecting to Navigator VI is almost instant. Then just configure the camera for the settings you want and off you go.

Routing the Rugged Cable through the bike to the rear HEX EZCan was straight forward as well and wires direct.

Setting up the OBD2 Scanner takes around 2 minutes. Once connected it connects every time and the data is automatically uploaded with the video footage for the editing tool

Thanks for the breakdown. Although a very comprehensive solution, that's more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

As I've got more than one bike, does anyone know if there's a helmet mounted bullet cam out there, with front and rear facing cameras?

Thanks for the breakdown. Although a very comprehensive solution, that's more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

As I've got more than one bike, does anyone know if there's a helmet mounted bullet cam out there, with front and rear facing cameras?

Nutty, have a look at the Garmin Virb 360 camera. (still expensive at around £650 though)

Its a full 360 degree (front and rear camera digitally stitched together).

You will still get your telemetry data overlay, and it'll show footage of ALL AROUND YOU, which is great.

Whats really cool about it, is when you watch the video you can scroll around the screen and view any angle you want.

Have a look on YouTube and use your finger or mouse to scroll around the video screen while its playing. Its like being a passenger in the video lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyThCWKc50

Cracking job Warlord....I'm in. Don't tell the Mrs...

Haha thank you.

Hopefully, collectively, we can build on this idea.

If anyone using this system finds new creative suggestions, please tell !!

Also, what will you be using the footage and telemetry data for?

Leisure / holiday?
Training?
Work related?
Safety?

Whats your plan?

Back
Top Bottom