AF-Xied engine vibration at 2500-3000 revs

I have a feeling I sold you the bike. The two thin black wires are the return cables for the AF-Xied control units. I cannot remember where they were to be placed for the return current but they are fitted correctley. I was informed not to fit them to the battery for some reason and never did. As you say, they woulnt blink if they werent connected. That was my fourth twin cam model fitted with these units and they do take a bit of milage to get them to their best. All of mine had been set at `7 blinks` and worked ok. Yours needs another thousand miles on them before they are `set`. Gordon.
Hi Gordon :)
I hope you're well? Many Thanks for your reply. :)
Cheers. I'm such a worry wart, I thought I'd not put the ground wore back after getting one of those Oddesey batteries (to be fair I didn't need that either by the looks of it, I thought the LCD battery picture on the dash when starting was showing a dodgy batter, however the £109 battery does that too DOH!)
Yes I think I'm just getting to 16'000 now so I've probably only done 600 miles at best on it :-/
The more I try and work it out the more I think it's a vibration more
Like something is loose and it is doing it at a certain engine frequency to make whatever it is rattle. I have just moved the action camera bracket as I'm not sure that the corner of that is vibrating on the engine/aux light bars.
It's strange that's for sure. It seems to be doing it if I throttle off at just over 3200 revs.
When my camera etc falls off etc I'm sure it'll stop :))
Nice to hear from you.
Did you get another GS after you sold me 'Big Bird' (her new nickname).
Cheers
Richard

Yes, very well thank you. Every boxer engined bike Ive been on has some vibration to it. They will never be as smooth as an inline 4 no matter what you do to them. Yours possibly needs to have its legs stretched for it to settle down. Only 600 miles? thats about 15 miles per week! You need to get out more.

I havent got another GS yet as Ive been using either my sons DL650 or my friends GS 1200 WC. I will be looking to return to the twin cam model as Im still not too fussed on the latest GS model. What with his having numerous problems with corrosion, gearbox/clutch woes and other bits going wrong, ie. switchgear, Im thinking the twin cam model will be the one to go for as its looking like most of the problems were ironed out.
Yes the WC is faster but im not that bothered about speed. A decent Twin cam with AF-Xied units fitted and decent suspenders is the way to go no doubt about it. I just need to find one with less than 10kmiles on it and all the toys. Gordon.

Ha, yes you're right there :-/
Still I'm doing better than I did with my VFR, some years I only did the 5 miles there and back to the mot test centre. :-0
The GS does let me ride, whilst the VFR gave my hip osteoarthritis some real grief.
I do love the GS, probably why I am over sensitive worrying about everything.
I have to admit that although to be fair the WC was/is out of my price range, I was looking for the latest oil cooled bike I could find.
I'm no speed demon, they all joke at work that I get flies on the back of my helmet :)
Cheers
Richard

Hi All
Just wanted to update you all on the vibration.
I've taken the GS in for a service at 'The Workshop' in York and Paul spotted the fault in about 3 seconds.
It is the left driving lamp that is vibrating against the bars.
Drat! I looked at that too, but didn't spot it.
Oh well, that's good, at least it's nowt to worry about.
I've just not riddden it much for two months until I had the money for the service. Woooops :-/

Wait until an OEM engine crash bar shakes loose. They sound like a big end is about to jump out of the engine.

Hi All
Just wanted to update you all on the vibration.
I've taken the GS in for a service at 'The Workshop' in York and Paul spotted the fault in about 3 seconds.
It is the left driving lamp that is vibrating against the bars.
Drat! I looked at that too, but didn't spot it.
Oh well, that's good, at least it's nowt to worry about.
I've just not riddden it much for two months until I had the money for the service. Woooops :-/

I wear ear plugs so probably wouldn't notice until I got home with a missing lamp. But the handlebar vibration is another thing altogether.

I wear ear plugs so probably wouldn't notice until I got home with a missing lamp. But the handlebar vibration is another thing altogether.
Lol, I don't notice much bar vibration to be fair, although I probably will now you've mentioned it 😂

Hi Ruby same happened to me. Plugs in and at around 3K you got this vibe noise where you know something to touching something the other day while washing her I hit the fog light by accident and there was the noise hey presto. Glad you got it sorted as it was annoying for sure not being able to identify the rattle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ruby same happened to me. Plugs in and at around 3K you got this vibe noise where you know something to touching something the other day while washing her I hit the fog light by accident and there was the noise hey presto. Glad you got it sorted as it was annoying for sure not being able to identify the rattle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto, faffed about with throttle balance, spark plugs, injectors, I was sure it was pinking, it was driving me nuts, It only happened under load/acceleration for a few seconds and seemed to be amplified through the crash bars. :blast

Ditto, faffed about with throttle balance, spark plugs, injectors, I was sure it was pinking, it was driving me nuts, It only happened under load/acceleration for a few seconds and seemed to be amplified through the crash bars. :blast

I had a crash bar come loose. I never noticed any noise when I got home but the cold start next day sounded horrendous. I really though the oil pump had failed.

I went to top up the oil level was fine and noticed the loose crash bar. Removed it and all was quiet again. The OEM engine crash bars are useless at protecting the rocker covers. They also bend back and risk cracking the cylinder heads. Ive now got "X-Head" protectors and no lower crash bars.

Back
Top Bottom