2005 Model - New clutch installed, help required!

trevmcdev8

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

just posting on here to see if anyone could shed some light for us...

Recently installed a new clutch friction plate, pressure plate and cover plate from Motorworks (with new pushrod/pushrod felt seal etc). Bought clutch alignment tool & used it during the work too. New bolts were used as required.

Since replacing all the above there have been issues with finding neutral whilst riding the bike. The clutch won't fully clear/release even with the clutch lever pulled fully back, it just never seems to totally disengage and there is constant drive to the back wheel whilst in gear.

We have bled the clutch numerous times and the lever itself feels great to operate. The lever is not fouling the hand guard.
We have replaced the slave cylinder to see if that was an issue but it has made no difference.
We have added a washer to the end of the pushrod to see if the extra 2mm will make the clutch clear but again it has made no difference.

Would like to not have to split the bike again if possible and thats what brings me here to see if anyone has had a similar issue in the past? Are we missing something fairly straightforward here.

The clutch hose appears in good shape & there are no leaks in the system, either master cylinder end or slave cylinder.

Hopefully i have explained the issue well enough, if not just ask away...

Thanks in advance,

Trev.

i had a new clutch fitted recently at the dealers....all i can say is i wasnt happy with it for a couple of hundred miles....
then as time went by it got better and better....dealer told me to let it all bed in for a while...
at first i couldnt select first properly and rough changes but now all sorted...
maybe the same with yours...

Thats very interesting, we had chatted today about the chances of it clearing after a while, maybe thats gonna be the case.

i had a new clutch fitted recently at the dealers....all i can say is i wasnt happy with it for a couple of hundred miles....
then as time went by it got better and better....dealer told me to let it all bed in for a while...
at first i couldnt select first properly and rough changes but now all sorted...
maybe the same with yours...

i done a clutch on my bandit a while ago and to make sure all the air was out of the system...i wrapped a bungee round the clutch lever over night....
that helps get rid of any tiny air bubbles in the system...

Oh aye, will give that a go here tonight. Thanks!

i done a clutch on my bandit a while ago and to make sure all the air was out of the system...i wrapped a bungee round the clutch lever over night....
that helps get rid of any tiny air bubbles in the system...

I had excessive slack at the clutch lever. Bled it - no change. New slave cylinder - no change. Rerouted the braided hose - no change (no surprise).
Then noticed very fine bubbles escaping from the cylinder into fluid reservoir as lever was pulled.
Kept slowly working the lever until bubbles stopped. Then tied the lever back overnight.
No more problems with soggy clutch.

The clutch push rod changed the taper at the end in mid 2006 just a thought, Have they sent you the later push rod ??

Worth burnishing the splines with some Moly60 paste and an old toothbrush whilst apart.

A possibility is the driven plate is tight on the input shaft splines.

Spot on Tony - it's important to check that the new centre plate moves freely on the input shaft before bolting it all up to the flywheel - it's not unusual to find a few burrs on the splines which can make it tight. If tight, I guess it might loosen off after a bit of use, failing that the 'box needs to come out again, sorry.

My recent -08 GSA clutch change (complete unit with a Siebenrock 'Basic Plus' friction disc - although a different clutch design to yours I believe) suffered the same way with a hard to find neutral but eased off after about 100 miles. Clutch has to be pulled hard back to the bars, making town riding a gym workout for my left hand. I had greased up the splines and tried the unit pre-fitting for assembly problems.
The clutch is still grabby 500 miles in, but neutral finding is no longer an issue. I do intend to bleed the clutch line but having done such major surgery Im reluctant to fettle just now.

My gearbox rattles in neutral but quiet when clutch pulled in. Shifts are good but it will eventually need strip down or used low miles gearbox.
You could consider doing your 'box bearings if it has to come apart again.

I did my clutch on my 05 back last summer and had the same issue, just rode it and after a while it was fine - didn't bleed the clutch either. I can only assume it just bedded in.

Back
Top Bottom