Thread: Advice please from you clever people who understand electrickary

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Advice please from you clever people who understand electrickary

Hi everyone

Can you help please i have a 2006 GSA

I have bought 2 Keis X25 full jackets one for me - one for mrs with the gloves for her only

Jacket is 7a / 84w & gloves for mrs are 1.0a / 13w so added together i need to put in a 10amp fuse for both - if i have understood this correctly

i also am running a Zumo 595LM and auto com spa duo (already fitted)

my question for the clever people is could i run my jacket as well or would i be pushing my luck

Thank you for any help and advice

Gaz

Ah fuses, calling Engineer, calling Engineer......

I am no electronics expert by any stretch, but on the last three bikes i've had (two BM's and a KTM) I've run both rider and pillion heated jackets straight from the battery.

Hi Giles

thank you for the very quick reply - did you have a sat nav and auto com stuff as well ?

Thanks

Gaz

Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzabart View Post
    Hi everyone

Can you help please i have a 2006 GSA

I have bought 2 Keis X25 full jackets one for me - one for mrs with the gloves for her only

Jacket is 7a / 84w & gloves for mrs are 1.0a / 13w so added together i need to put in a 10amp fuse for both - if i have understood this correctly

i also am running a Zumo 595LM and auto com spa duo (already fitted)

my question for the clever people is could i run my jacket as well or would i be pushing my luck

Thank you for any help and advice

Gaz
    They should be fused separately, otherwise a fault on the gloves could lead to excess current flowing in the thinner glove wiring and it burning out before the fuse opens.

I would start with a 10A fuse for the jacket and say 2A max for the gloves.

All information offered in good faith but if you set fire to the gloves or jacket it ain't my fault right

Sat nav on the ktm was wired into one of the two 'spare' leads under the head light. We have blue tooth coms (used to have autocom but got fed up with broken cables - and never being able to trace where - and her indoors being too kack handed and blind to line up the connecting plugs without bending all the pins )

My advice would definitely be heated jackets straight onto the battery. Obviously don't sit plugged in for hours without the bike running .... !

Rather than wiring directly to the battery, invest in either a Fuseblok or a PDM60 and make life easier, too many in-line fuses can become a pain. I run everything through a Fuzeblok ... Keis X25, Garmin Zumo, aux lights, aux socket. As you state, the X25 is protected with 10A which will allow for jacket and gloves together, assuming you have the gloves connected to the jacket enabling control of both via the Keis controller.

Keep it simple. Use the fly lead that came with the jacket direct onto the battery terminal with a 10A fuse. If the 10A is not sufficient it will blow and then use a 15A.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man View Post
    Rather than wiring directly to the battery, invest in either a Fuseblok or a PDM60 and make life easier, too many in-line fuses can become a pain. I run everything through a Fuzeblok ... Keis X25, Garmin Zumo, aux lights, aux socket. As you state, the X25 is protected with 10A which will allow for jacket and gloves together, assuming you have the gloves connected to the jacket enabling control of both via the Keis controller.
    +1 for the Fuzeblok, keeps everything tidy(less expensive than the PDM60)

Does the jacket wiring have its own integral fuse and switch?
    Does the glove wiring have its own fuse and switch?

If they do they then no harm in wiring directly to the battery, if they don't then to be safe they should each have their own suitably rated fuse and wiring - simples

Hi Engineer

The jackets each have their own fuse - i hate anything to do with wiring on a bike

each jacket has its own plug in - from that it goes to a fuse then direct to the battery

i wired two of these directly to the battery then you choose which fuse to push in

i am only using the jacket which says its 7a so i put in a brown 7.5a fuse

The boss is using a jacket and gloves - so hers is 7a for the jacket and her outer gloves are 1.0a so nearest to that was the red 10a fuse so i put that in hers

all kies kit daisy chains - very clever bit of kit the insoles are 1.3a the trousers are 3.3a the gilet is 3.3a on full power under gloves are 1.0a

thank you for your help - i will look at the fuse block but will pay some one with the knowledge to fit it

keep safe everyone and lock your fkin bike up - loads of toe rags out and about

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by Gazzabart View Post
    Hi Engineer

The jackets each have their own fuse - i hate anything to do with wiring on a bike

each jacket has its own plug in - from that it goes to a fuse then direct to the battery

i wired two of these directly to the battery then you choose which fuse to push in

i am only using the jacket which says its 7a so i put in a brown 7.5a fuse

The boss is using a jacket and gloves - so hers is 7a for the jacket and her outer gloves are 1.0a so nearest to that was the red 10a fuse so i put that in hers

all kies kit daisy chains - very clever bit of kit the insoles are 1.3a the trousers are 3.3a the gilet is 3.3a on full power under gloves are 1.0a

thank you for your help - i will look at the fuse block but will pay some one with the knowledge to fit it

keep safe everyone and lock your fkin bike up - loads of toe rags out and about

Gaz
    OK sounds good. If the kit is fused as you say then no need for extra fuses - it would be also be OK to make both fuses the same i.e. 10A as 7.5A is a bit close to 7A if the jacket runs at the full current - you might get a false fuse failure.