R80RT - Cylinder Head Cover

Eltoro69

Reaction score
Can anyone please help!
I have a BMW R80RT 1990 year model bike and I would like to replace the angular cylinder head covers with the old classic style covers. Is this possible without any mechanical and operational issues? Can I simple buy old covers from any old classic bike and swap them around?
Thanks

I believe all post 1969 airhead covers will fit. Like you I prefer the rounded shape and have changed my '81 and '84. There are pattern covers on the market that are very good alternatives to originals.
Paul.

I seem to remember someone saying that the round ones don't absorb the tappet sounds as well as the angular one, not sure if that would bne an issue for you if its true.

Now that may be an issue. Has anyone noticed the difference?

I certainly did on my g/s, and reverted back to the original later ones. Note also that the later angular ones are very much stronger, the peanut covers pop very easy in the event of a spill...

#1 on solarstate100's comments on strength, some of the pattern items are as thin as cheap chocolate ester egg, and not a lot stronger!
They wont survive a simple tip of the side stand, never mind an off while you are moving.
Probably best to try and find genuine, even if you have to pay a bit more for them.

I certainly did on my g/s, and reverted back to the original later ones. Note also that the later angular ones are very much stronger, the peanut covers pop very easy in the event of a spill...

#1 on solarstate100's comments on strength, some of the pattern items are as thin as cheap chocolate ester egg, and not a lot stronger!
They wont survive a simple tip of the side stand, never mind an off while you are moving.
Probably best to try and find genuine, even if you have to pay a bit more for them.

Yep, the early roundcovers are certainly nowhere near as strong as the later angular covers.
And a reason why BMW stopped using them :D

Back
Top Bottom