32 crashes / reboots in 4 hours - anyone better that?

scorp888

Reaction score
So just got back from the Scotland trip, where I tried to use Tripplanner mode.

The satnav between london and birmingham rebooted about 20 times (lost count, may have missed a few)

Then from Birmingham to Sheffield - about 12 more.

Unit was reset at carlisle, which seemed to reduce it a bit, but when switched back to trip planner mode - frequent crashes again.

Switching to using the poi from the trip, one crash in 3 days.

Can anyone else use trip planner for me (locally to them) and tell me if it causes your unit to repeatedly reboot, so I can work out if it's my unit/general fault.

Ian

I am none too clear what you are talking about, I'm afraid.

Trip Planner, is the standard application on the latest generation of Garmin devices to action the running of a route. It is not new (it was on the Nav V) nor is it unique to BMW's branded GPS devices. The route can either have have been created by the device's owner on a computer and then imported into the device, to then be displayed in Trip Planner or the route can have been created within the device itself by touching 'New Trip' within the Trip Planner application.

What is it you did, precisely, please? How were the routes you were running created, exactly? When you say 'crashes', what do you mean? That the screen froze? That the device shut down? That the route just stopped?

Using Basecamp
Latest Version.
Trip Planner - New Trip.
Plan multi day trip.
Day 1
Start D1
Mid D1
Mid2 D1
Lodging D1.

Lodging D1/D2 (normally the same place)
Mid D2
Mid2 D2
Lodging D2

Etc

Then transfer these to the device.
In the trip planner app on the device.
Select D1, select the next point along.

In this case, Sarf Lunnon was the start point, Birmingham was waypoint 2. Sheffield Waypoint 3, Hunters Lodge Gretna, waypoint 4
From Saf Lunnon to Birmingham.
Device whilst navigating and in the cradle, goes blank, shows the BMW logo and proceeds to boot up. To the warning screens. That's what I mean by crashing.

I have just tried my Nav VI out, driving an outward route of 12 miles (created by the device) in east London out past City airport from Wapping Towers and a 12 mile route back again (again created by the device) including going off route three times on purpose to create a purposeful (promoted) recalculation; total miles, 30'ish. In true Adventure bikermate style I went to Tesco and bought fuel.

The device was stuck in the front window of my car. It ran for the duration of the jaunt on its internal battery.

It behaved itself faultlessly. It did not once turn off, reboot, stop, belch or fart. A pro-rata scaling of your distance should indicate that it should have at suffered 3 or 4 misbehaviours. But it didn't.

I wonder if perhaps your device is suffering from an intermittent power supply when in the cradle, causing it to close down? That though would maybe require the device's internal battery to be flat too.

Last edited:
3rd time out with mine today and it was like someone was controlling it while I was riding, constantly screen changes, maps zooming out and gps co-ordinates dropped to the screen.
I reset it took the battery out, not overly impressed at the minute with it.I cant stream internet radio properly from the iphone, it works but the pause and start buttons as well as FF/RW are greyed out.We have a work around solution by playing a song from the iphone first then selecting the internet radio app, and then everything works ok.
Spotify works ok, I just wish they had included the spotify app like the 595
How can the 595 work ok and this doesn't..? with some apps missing

Did the problems manifest themselves on the first two rides or only on your third ride?

If they were not present on the first two rides, did you do something different on your third ride that might have triggered the problems?

Is it possible that the problems are triggered by the device's functions being overwhelmed, trying to steam internet radio and who knows what else from say the phone app? I simply ask as the 660 (which is now regarded as a nigh on perfect GPS device) certainly suffered with shutdowns and freezing when trying to locate satellites in areas of dubious signal quality, the internal processor unable to cope. This problem was fixed by a software update.

It started before my third ride just before I was about to load it up to the PC for basecamp to download the route I'd done.The menu buttons wouldn't re-act to any input at all.
I tried a soft re-set by removing the battery and then finally a full reset.This cured it until the route was loaded from where we set off and then the screen was going mental.
Again I did a full re-set midway through the route it cured it for a while then off it went again,the last 30 or so miles of our rideout (195) it behaved perfectly.!
I cant get my head round it, I tried to reinstall the firmware, Garmin Express won't let u do it and through Garmin Webupdater the device is not a certian mode, cant remember the term exactly.?
I'll try again this week, other than the controls for the streaming issue, it been fine, 4 of us have them and it appears I'm the unlucky one with this issue.

Just so we agree, is this correct:

On two rides, the device performed perfectly.

On a third it misbehaved, once I assmume at home indoors when you went to download a route or track from the device to your computer and then again whilst out.

Since then the device has been fine, behaving quite normally.

If those statements are correct, when you were at home for the transfer for the data from the device to your computer, was it possible your device in Bluetooth range of your phone, it busily engaged doing something linked to the Garmin phone app?

When I tried just mucking about with a Nav VI and the Garmin phone app, I noticed that the app was remarkably intrusive.

Did the problems manifest themselves on the first two rides or only on your third ride?

If they were not present on the first two rides, did you do something different on your third ride that might have triggered the problems?

Is it possible that the problems are triggered by the device's functions being overwhelmed, trying to steam internet radio and who knows what else from say the phone app? I simply ask as the 660 (which is now regarded as a nigh on perfect GPS device) certainly suffered with shutdowns and freezing when trying to locate satellites in areas of dubious signal quality, the internal processor unable to cope. This problem was fixed by a software update.

The key difference is using the Trip Planner app on the unit to navigate, rather than the where to, so you have to have planned the trip, using the trip planner function in base camp and transfer is as a trip. For your trip to tesco did you just set as route, or as a trip as it were?

Ian

I have just tried my Nav VI out, driving an outward route of 12 miles (created by the device) ........ In true Adventure bikermate style I went to Tesco and bought fuel.....I wonder if perhaps your device is suffering from an intermittent power supply when in the cradle, causing it to close down? That though would maybe require the device's internal battery to be flat too.

Hi Wapping, was this planned as a trip in basecamp and kicked off as a trip on the device ?

Hi Wapping, was this planned as a trip in basecamp and kicked off as a trip on the device ?

It was a route I asked the device to create for me, A (home) to Tesco's car park (B) as I wished to make it as typical as I could of an Adventure bikermate's ride. It was created in the device's Trip Planner app, as opposed to using 'Where to' or whatever it's called

I'll re do it at some point, creating the Tesco Adventure in BaseCamp on my Mac first. Then I'll import it into my device, before summing it up / running it from within the Trip Planner app.

Possibly bluetooth issues at first.? but the first time it just locked out on a button, cant remember which one but it was just highlighted blue.
Thats before connecting the pc up or anything just turning on.On the ride it was like the Iwheel was controlling the device at times scrolling the nav screen with the screen which lets u choose the different icons on screen,
then scrolling the map all around a randomly selecting a gps position to navigate to.
Something not right on mine.? Will see how it behaves this week if not its going back for an exchange

MickTheSaw, I suggest you do exactly as you are planning on doing. Wait to see if happens again. If it doesn't, it was a bizarre one off, caused by.... who knows?

If it happens again, logically it's either the device or some problem with the interface between the iWheel and the device or maybe a power interruption in the device's supply in the cradle.... or something else. Either way, return it (and if necessary your bike) to BMW to investigate. I sometimes find that filming or photographing a problem is a good idea, as it's easier to explain it to the monkey behind the counter in pictures. Might this require you holding your camera / smart phone to film as you go along and thereby break the law and ensure the wrath of your fellow bikermates in the process? Yes but it may well be worth it. The bikers charter specifically allows actions such as these with complete inpunity. Try not to crash during the process.

Failing that, try to work out if some different usage on your part triggers the problem. In other words, are you and / or the device doing something that you / it didn't do before? If so, what? Can you avoid doing it? Might there be a software update or work around that removes the problem? Who knows....

Crashed again yesterday got a video of it, dealer wants me to try it on another bike.
The screen doesn't respond to any inputs again removing the battery didn't work.But connecting it to a pc solved the issue.
Not impressed so far,theres one on the advrider site done the same thing.

Don't forget BMW don't repair these things. It's a Garmin in all but name.

unless its an actual problem with the bike, as in the scroll wheel causing the issue or bad connection on the power side or one of many other things that could cause an issue that is no fault of the nav. Not saying its not the nav at fault just saying it could be a bike related fault, and if so BMW are the ones to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom