any Idea's

Status
Not open for further replies.

r100gser

Reaction score
I have a 1996 California 1100i - it has decided not to start, it turns over ok, but there is no spark and the fuel pump does not seem to be priming. However after about a minute the pump will run for a short while and the rev counter goes up to app 7k at the same time, and I suspect it is returning fuel to the tank.

I have cleaned all the electrical connectors I can find, changed the relays and fuses, changed the two sensors on the fly wheel and camshaft, checked the kill switch and the side stand switch, all the relays do seem to be clicking as thy should....and still the thing wont start .....any Ideas.....:mad:....Ian

I don't know anything about your specific bike but have you tried taking the injectors out and hiting the starter taking obvious safety precautions to make sure the injectors are working properly?

Failing that it seems there may be an issue with the ECU. Has it stood a while unused?

Hi thanks for taking time to reply, the bike has been stood for about five months, before that it was running fine - I have changed the stale fuel...Ian

Is the bike fuel injected?

Normally when you turn on you should get the fuel pump prime as part of the ECU initialisation sequence..

If that doesn't happen, nothing else will trigger... it needs the ok flag from one event to

trigger the next there all linked ( bit like CAN) ..

I recall a similar thread on a fuel injected car,

and it went through the steps to check, To get from ignition on to start.

I'll go digging to see if i can find it

Mart

Hi baldrick - it's a big world where you have to explore all your options when the best man for the job lives 250 miles from you, any the only van you can nick won't fit a Cali in it........ian

at last it's running

Hi, well I finally got the bike running, just to recap - bike would not start ( fuel pump not priming / no spark) checked everything all ok - no signal out of ECU - sent ECU off to CARMO for repair. - sat down felt, smug had a drink

Fitted repaired ECU still the same, changed 2 X wiring harness ( main and fuel/ignition ) and phase and rpm sensors and tested everything tried to start the bike - still the same - sent ECU back to CARMO - ECU still faulty and not repairable ??!!. - went in the house and swore at the cat

Bought brand new ECU (off a Ducati) IAW 435 part no 19902 from eBay - fitted Guzzi EPROM the bike ran but greatly over fueled, I checked to pins in the plug and they all seemed the same, but I could not get anyone local to tune the bike as they did not have the software to communicate with a Marelli P8 ecu. - Swore at the dog and cat and made rude gestures to my neighbours CCTV camera

Bought TWO ECU's one was originally from Raceco off a Daytona but was the same ECU as fitted to my Cali (IAW 441), and I also got a MyEcu MP8 in the deal - fitted the MyEcu the bike ran but was a little bit lumpy but not too bad - fitted my Cali EPROM into the MyEcu, bike runs very well. slight over fueling but acceptable - SUCCESS- I go into the house stroke the cat and dog, have a drink, and go apologise to my neighbour and beg him not to put the obscene CCTV footage on You Tube.

I have been in touch with Cliff Jefferies from MyEcu he has given me a very good price to update the MyEcu to current spec and make it Bluetooth compatible, which I intend to do soon

Thank you every one who gave me advice, it was all greatly appreciated.

Now how do I use Guzzidiag to tune a Marelli P8

Thanks...Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom