Map updates

GSD Dad

Reaction score
My BMW Nav V recently updated with the new maps doesn't have the new 4 mile link between the M6 J19 and the M56. My Iphone that I use in the car using the excellent app Waze does, mind you it's only been 3 years in construction.

You can contact Garmin / the map makers, via BaseCamp and Mapsource, to advise them of any errors.

To be fair, it's only just opened. OpenStreetMap and Google Maps do show it as the A556 with what was the A556 now (according to OSM) the B5569.

To be fair, it's only just opened. OpenStreetMap and Google Maps do show it as the A556 with what was the A556 now (according to OSM) the B5569.

Surely these map makers are aware of new roads in construction, Waze which is a free app is on the ball.

According to http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a556-knutsford-to-bowdon-improvement/ the new road was open on 06/03/2017. My copy of OSM was downloaded on 03/04/2017 and, if opened in BaseCamp, shows the new road. As I know the area well I don't need a GPS to find my way round and, in reality, would probably use the old road for preference. The on-line maps that exist in isolation (OSM and Google maps: I've not met Waze) can react very quickly to new roads. Garmin (and presumably TomTom) are in much the same position as the likes of Bartholemews and the AA, who publish new printed maps from time to time. Suppose that Garmin had included the new road in CN2018.1NTU a few days before it actually opened (many major civil engineering projects run late) and you, a stranger to the area, tried to use it. You might well wonder just what was happening. In an ideal world, Garmin and TomTom's maps would work like OSM and be updated and downloadable on a daily basis. It seems unlikely that this will happen. Apart from postcodes, which it doesn't handle well, OSM is well worth looking at for Garmin devices if you want to be bang up-to-date and free from Garmin's unreliable warnings of speed limits. Other than that, Wapping's suggestion for contacting Garmin to inform them of their omission is your best bet for getting it incuded in the next release.

Back
Top Bottom