Taller screen

Josey Wales

Reaction score
Good evening is there and extension to make my standard screen taller as the one I have is to short thanks it's an 09 reg

Touratech and Winderlich do clip on extensions.
I had a TT type but the non turbulent sweet spot was very small indeed.
The OEM screen cracked at mounting holes, replaced with a Wunderlich 2" taller Adv screen. Turbulence was just as bad & now the TT extender was too high.
All solved with a Givi Airflow AF-330.

I fitted an adjustable extender from puig, sorted out a fair bit of the turbulence, I'm 6'4"

By chance I picked up a Givi Airflow screen off eBay a few days after deciding on my first ever ride on my TC that I needed a better screen, and OMG it's the best screen I've ever had on any bike in my 20 years of riding. No buffeting, virtually no wind noise, wifes happy on the back and I can ride with my visor open. Looks a bit odd, but I couldn't care less, it's brilliant.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=e5eQpfC9NOYuaM:

I have the MRA xcreen that attaches to the screen and can be positioned where you want. This has turned my bike into a much quieter ride with visor up riding. Having also had the AF330 I would say the AF is better, with winglets added probably the best set up I have ever had but the MRA xcreen on my GSA stock screen isn't far behind.

I got a Givi Airflow for mine. It was excellent. Apparently, even better if you get the winglets. I bought some but never fitted them, so if you're interested... :augie

The MRA adjustable spoiler is good on a straight screen or even better one that curves back like sone car windscreens. Its absolute crap if the screen flips up at the back edge. I had their screen for the Yammie Diversion 900 and it was just awful. A sawed about 3" off the screen back end and it became useable and certainly better than OEM.

However the AF 330 is just amazing. I now have to wear ear plugs not because the exhaust is too noisy or because of wind around the helmet but tyre noise off the from wheel is so damn loud. TBH at 30 to 50 the exhaust can be a bit much ;) but at 70 it's just background while that tyre is howling. Not to mention car tyres all around. Active noise cancelling ear plugs would be great, but Moldex Rockets do a great job and are not so all blocking that you feel cut off from the world.

A question about he Give screen. As it does not have a cross brace like on the adventure screen where do you site the Sat Nav?
Does the extra brace designed for the GS fit with the Givi screen?

By chance I picked up a Givi Airflow screen off eBay a few days after deciding on my first ever ride on my TC that I needed a better screen, and OMG it's the best screen I've ever had on any bike in my 20 years of riding. No buffeting, virtually no wind noise, wifes happy on the back and I can ride with my visor open. Looks a bit odd, but I couldn't care less, it's brilliant.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=e5eQpfC9NOYuaM:

This.

I have one and it's the dog's.

A question about he Give screen. As it does not have a cross brace like on the adventure screen where do you site the Sat Nav?
Does the extra brace designed for the GS fit with the Givi screen?

It does not use the Adventure cross brace but you can fit a cross tube with P clips. Alternatively you could keep the Adv brace and fix it to the Givi with P clips.

The best option is a screen anti wobble block/box on top of the front mount with a Ram mount ball.

This.

I have one and it's the dog's.

I fully agree - it's also the best screen I've used; actually (once I took the stock one off) it's the only screen I've ever used - 46 riding years and counting.

It does not use the Adventure cross brace but you can fit a cross tube with P clips. Alternatively you could keep the Adv brace and fix it to the Givi with P clips.

The best option is a screen anti wobble block/box on top of the front mount with a Ram mount ball.

Correct, I've got the same.

So I think I’m in the market for either a Givi Airflow AF330 or an Xcreen extender to go on top of the Adv screen on my 09 GS. I’m 6ft1 and could do with some quiet(er) air!
Anyone have one they no longer use?! (Probably in the drawer with the hens teeth??!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm biassed as Ive had the Givi for some years (and broken / replaced it). But compare to the standard barn door there is no comparison. The standard screen causes turbulence as air fights around to to fill the space behind. The Givi bleeds air through so turbulent air is much reduced.

The snag for taller people is it might not be tall enough. Tobinators at the front and longer support struts for the sides might be needed. But even after all that its still a much better screen than I've used on any other bike.

On the sat nav question, I have a Ram mount on the middle handlebar. It's possible on the screen but the Givi leans back more than standard so even with a cross bar there is not much space for a satnav that wont obscure the speedo.

On the sat nav question, I have a Ram mount on the middle handlebar. It's possible on the screen but the Givi leans back more than standard so even with a cross bar there is not much space for a satnav that wont obscure the speedo.[/QUOTE]

Thanks that's useful - I'm currently running an Adv screen on a 2009 GS. The sat nav is on this brace, will this brace have to be removed to all the Givi to fit if it leans back?

Hi All, first post :) 'Ola!!

So The Givi AF330 will fit a Standard GSA (09)? Ive just acquired one that's been drilled to bits (?)

Mike

The AF 330 is pretty much designed for the GS. It also works on the GSA but you lose the inverted U shaped screen support.

So I think I’m in the market for either a Givi Airflow AF330 or an Xcreen extender to go on top of the Adv screen on my 09 GS. I’m 6ft1 and could do with some quiet(er) air!
Anyone have one they no longer use?! (Probably in the drawer with the hens teeth??!!)

Thanks to a member I received a Givi over the weekend and fitted it yesterday. I’m not a massive fan of how it looks but the ride in this morning was significantly better so a good result. I’ve also fitted a Touratech bar to mount the Satnav on but I’ve had to only fix the Satnav with 2 screws to raise it up above the Speedo - even then it’s partially obscured so an alternative may be needed there.

Thanks to a member I received a Givi over the weekend and fitted it yesterday. I’m not a massive fan of how it looks but the ride in this morning was significantly better so a good result. I’ve also fitted a Touratech bar to mount the Satnav on but I’ve had to only fix the Satnav with 2 screws to raise it up above the Speedo - even then it’s partially obscured so an alternative may be needed there.

The steel side support rusted on mine so I made new ones from 3mm aluminium. They dont have to be curved but the bolt hole centres are important. At the top I added two more holes to carry a cross bar with little tag brackets each end. They are retained with rubber hose inside the tube compressed by M6 screws and nuts to make expanding anchors. It's resulted in a higher cross bar and a more firmly mounted screen.

However, the whole lot is still less rigid than the GSA rear loop support. To get close to that you would need a similar tube with it's bottom mounts set wider apart.

Back
Top Bottom