Z1000SX

Delboy777

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK peeps, never having owned a Kawasaki of any description, im looking for opinions on the above bike. I'm getting older and having recently had a heart attack im thinking my GSA may be getting a bit much for me in the moving about stakes. My son has just bought one of these and im tempted but I need some pros and cons, anyone oblige ?? Ta Del

If its a Kawasaki it's all pros, anyone who ever owned a Kawasaki would be of the same opinion.

I like them but have never ridden one, I think you want a post 14 model as it has the latest spec. Take one out for a test and see how it is for comfort.

Mike my son has just bought a 65 plate model with 1700 miles on it. It looks pretty good and im going to have a test of it tomorrow. Im not sure if i will like it or not but will see. Im looking for any "bad" points if there are any. If i buy one it will either be new or new pre reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my 2014 SX last month when I bought my GS. Had it for 3 years and 16k trouble free miles. The seat was swapped for a Sargent and it needed an extra tooth on the front sprocket then it was great. Ran it for a while with a 55 profile rear to sharpen up the steering. Brilliant engine, steering can feel floppy but overall a great, well made bike.
Still got some bits if your interested...

I had a 06 shotgun exhaust model, it went really well and took me to Italy and back cant fault then and far quicker and more fun than any BMW GS

Hi Del,

I bought this 2014 3.5K one last July to replace the R1 below it as it was getting a bit too extreme for me. I put the Autocom you sold me onto the Kwack!

The SX is a lovely bike I bought it after testing the then new MT10 which I loved (great engine and handling)but managed to empty the 17Litre tank in 100 miles on the test ride. The thirst wasn,t the issue but having to stop for fuel every 100 miles would be. I also tested the GSX-S with the fairing which was lovely too but had no decent luggage options and snatchy fueling (but handled well). I tested the z1000sx it has a 19Litre tank and averaged 45MPG (the suzuki was frugal too at about 48mpg!) over the same test route at the same speeds that the MT10 was doing 29mpg. It isn't as exciting as an MT10 but its close. The engine of the z1000sx is very torquey and flexible. It will pull smoothly from 25mph in top. You can ride it like a big scooter if your feeling lazy just leave it in top and roll the throttle on and off it pulls like a train at any revs.... very handy for overtaking. The bike is geared for about 150mph so some people grumble that it is a bit tingly at 70-90 mph. I don't find that with mine at all, its very smooth in top at those speeds. Mine gets a bit tingly through the bars at about 7000rpm so i occasionally notice it when accelerating hard.......but boy can it go! I would say faster than the r1 in the mid range but obviously slower overall. I'd say top gear on the sx is about the same as 4/5th on the r1. Over distance it is at least as comfy as my r1150gs. I changed the seat for a Sargent one and that made a big difference and I have an optional gear position indicator a sat nav and oxford heated grips. I usually get 180miles to the reserve light but have got as little as 160 miles and as much as 200 on a gentle run. I find the standard screen on the highest position (I'm 5'9") gives decent protection and no buffeting. Handling is good I'm on standard size Michelin PR4's and find that it turns and grips well. Its not as planted at (stupid!) speed as the R1 but that had fork tweeks and an Ohlins triple clicker on it so I wouldn't expect it to. The post 2014 bikes like mine have two power modes (pointless in my opinion as it fuels beautifully so I never bother going to low power mode even in the wet) and three stage traction control with off as a fourth option. Traction mode 3 is the most intrusive and i use it in the wet. Mode two knocks wheelies on the head pretty quickly and 1 lets you hoon with a bit of a safety blanket. For the road I leave it in two unless wet and forget about it. My bike also has ABS. The new 2017 bikes have an IMU (gyro thingy?) so have more sophisticated traction control and cornering ABS but I think the dynamics of riding between the two are very similar.

Not so good stuff. If you ride in the wet without panniers your ass and back get covered in road crap. Panniers on and the crud is deflected and you stay clean. You can buy an extender for the rear hugger which might help and I might try. There is no option for a centre stand. I don't mind really and have fitted an Auto TUtoro oiler on a hand made bracket attached to the pillion peg. For a rider only the comfort is good but for a pillion there is no comparison with a GS SWMBO won't sit on it but I still have the GS for that!
Some say the lights are Crap but they are way better than the GS and I don't ride much at night anyway if i can avoid it. There are the usual HID or LED conversions if you are so inclined.

The speedo reading is taken from the ABS sensors so some people go up one tooth on the front sprocket and two down on the rear to increase the gearing for smoother cruising/higher top speed/better economy. I haven't bothered because I like its lively character with standard gearing and it is not hard on juice.

Overall i'm very pleased with the bike. The panniers are neat and hold 28lts each and I have L bars to fit my Ventura system along with the panniers. Its all the touring bike and sports bike that I need to the extent that I could happily sell the GS other than I've had it for 13 years and it doesn't cost me in terms of depreciation!

Oh and Its been 100% reliable and does not use oil!

Thanks for that opinion Mzokk, much appreciated. As ive said never owned a Kawa so its good to get an opinion on the longer term ownership of the Z1000SX. Do you know the exact date the giro thingy was fitted ? Im looking at a 16 plate pre reg so its unlikely that that bike would have it.

The IMU giro thing is fitted to the new 2017 bikes. The 2016 bikes are similar to the 2014 update. Wouldn't put me off though if the price was right:thumb2

The IMU giro thing is fitted to the new 2017 bikes. The 2016 bikes are similar to the 2014 update. Wouldn't put me off though if the price was right:thumb2

I have taken a look and although there are some bargains to be had with 2016 pre reg bikes as low as £8995, im thinking that the new 17 model with all the upgrades (and even considering the performance model) would be worth the extra. I cant find out however, if the price quoted for the performance model includes luggage, some how I doubt it though.

OK peeps, never having owned a Kawasaki of any description, im looking for opinions on the above bike. I'm getting older and having recently had a heart attack im thinking my GSA may be getting a bit much for me in the moving about stakes. My son has just bought one of these and im tempted but I need some pros and cons, anyone oblige ?? Ta Del
Gotta admire the cajones of a chap who responds to a heart attack by contemplating a 140bhp, 170mph motorcycle.:thumb2

If the GSA is too heavy for the OP to move about I dont see the Kwaka as a sensible option to address he issue

Dry weight of the Kwak is 235 KG which is only marginally lighter than than the GSA which fully fueled is about 250 KG

I was suprised at how heavy Kawasaki are as a bloke here has a Z800 and it weighs a bloody ton for such a dinky little thing

If the GSA is too heavy for the OP to move about I dont see the Kwaka as a sensible option to address he issue

Dry weight of the Kwak is 235 KG which is only marginally lighter than than the GSA which fully fueled is about 250 KG

I was suprised at how heavy Kawasaki are as a bloke here has a Z800 and it weighs a bloody ton for such a dinky little thing

I tried it yesterday with my sons bike and found it far easier to turn around in my drive than the GSA. Possibly, in fact probably because it is so much smaller than the BMW size wise and i was surprised at the difference. Didnt think there was such a small difference in the weight of each bike though.

I tried it yesterday with my sons bike and found it far easier to turn around in my drive than the GSA. Possibly, in fact probably because it is so much smaller than the BMW size wise and i was surprised at the difference. Didnt think there was such a small difference in the weight of each bike though.

Which is more than fair

It just allways suprises me how heavy Kawas are !

Have a look at the figures for some of them and you may think that the frames are lead filled for the size of the bike !

Good bikes though !!

enjoy it if you get one

Back
Top Bottom