Flappy valve Link pipe

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone had their exhaust blow at the jointing piece for the flappy valve??

My 2012 adventure which still has the flappy valve in place if i run the engine and place my hand behind the joint piece clamping bolts i can feel air blow, anyone else had this is it a common failure point on the exhaust?

Thought it was sounding nice and throaty but this would appear to be the cause.

Ta

The flappy valve unit itself is quite a heavy duty piece of metal. A casting maybe(?)
Both the headers and the silencer pipe ends have a slot in them to allow for tightening the clamps to hold the flappy unit.
I would imagine that something has moved slightly allowing the exhaust to 'blow' where the slot is.
Easy fix. Loosen the clamps and make sure that the pipes are securely into the flappy unit and clamp them up. If you need to, you can get a bit of movement at the silencer mount. If you need more, you can loosen the clamp on the silencer to move it closer.
If you want to do a proper job, remove the silencer and flappy valve unit and carefully fit them back together using exhaust ASSEMBLY paste. Halfords do Holts Firegum. Do NOT use repair paste!
It allows the pipes to slip together nicely and when you start up, the heat expands the paste and gives a good seal around the joints. Easily removed again for dismantling.
Reduces pops and bangs on the over run.

There are alignment marks on the clamps and on the valve body.

Took it all apart made sure to align it correctly and sealed and clamped, and the bugger still has a slight air leak. Cant determine where its coming from bugger of a thing..

Any idea where it's coming from?
If you're still using the flappy valve, the pipes should come right up to the ridges moulded on the flappy valve body. Can't understand where it would blow around there unless there's damage to the exhaust?

It all seems butted up nice and tight the seal seems fine both on the flappy valve circumference and on the actual exhaust pipe so just cant tell. Only thing i can think is that their is a very slight gap at the slot and its not clamping down correctly. I will try taking it off again and see if i can see anything.

Its hard to tell looking at a pic but it looks like you have a gap of one or two mm!
Unless they changed the system between mine(2010) and yours, still think that it's just not right in.
The flappy unit should slide right in to the shoulder of where it widens on the headers and the silencer pipe.
If you take it apart again, make sure there's nothing like weld or corrosion on the inside of the pipe that's preventing it going right in.
You can get some adjustment at the silencer hanger mounting but you can get loads if you loosen the metal strap around the silencer.

Just remove the valve and the control motor. Use a piece of dia63mm x 70mm tube in its place. No errors or warnings show up on the bike. One less POS to go wrong and the bike runs fine.

Back
Top Bottom