Bit of advice needed- Scotland West coast tour

thumperbob2002

Reaction score
Hi Touring experts,

I wonder if anyone of you knowledgable guys on here can point me in the right direction.

Going on a three night tour of Scotland from Hessle-

Night 1 Fort William
Night 2 Ullapool
Night 3 Glasgow

Any recommendations of routes, Biker friendly places to stay, places to avoid etc. All hep much appreciated, really looking for great roads and a few beers on a night. Pretty experienced guys- there will be 4-5 of us. Travelling light- no camping.

Cheers

Bob

Not booked hotels yet- but going next week and just might be staying where we can get booked in. Surely this is off season?

Fort William can be a traffic nightmare with some weird driving behaviour. The Moorings hotel next to the Caledonian canal is a goodun.

Not too sure of availability but I tend to stop in the Travelodge at Helensburgh Seafront about 15 minutes outside Glasgow to the north west with nice restuarants , pub onsite and secure parking.

Well done you, that's some result. Just be very carefull of all the trials bikes on the roads around that area, there will be hundreds.

Brilliant! Though my days of trials are well and truly over. whats the event??

Fort William is overrated IMHO. Oban is much better.

Consider going via Dumfries and Galloway and the Cowal peninsular - ferry Gourock to Dunoon. That way the fun roads and the trip starts much earlier just to the West of Dumfries where you should take the A712 at Crocketford and wend your away through Galloway Forest with route depending on your timings (its difficult to find a bad road here) before a fairly tedious stretch of main road along the coast from Ayr to Gourock - the coastal views are good though. From the ferry port at Dunoon there are several options but basically head towards Inverary then Oban (or get a second ferry to Tarbert on the Kintyre peninsular). The B836 is highly recommended a few miles north of Dunoon. There is also a cafe popular with bikers a mile or so north of the junction with that B road (Sheila's Diner iirc). Oban to Fort William is about 45minutes to an hour if you are stuck on staying in FW.

As someone else said Applecross well worth a visit - well the road to it and from it, and the pub for a lunch - especially if the weather is good and you can sit outside..

Ullapool is a good destination. I have only ever camped there but several hotels, hostels and B&Bs in and near.

Overall just keep the sea on your left when heading North (and vice versa) and you won't go much wrong in terms of route.

From Ullapool to Glasgow its a nice fast road south and East but turn off for Muir of Ord (good distillery tour) then head for Beauly, Drumnadrochit and back to FW. The its the tourist route down Glencoe, Rannoch Moor (stop at the Green Welly cafe - anther place popular with bikers for some strange reason) and the down the west side of Loch Lomond into Glasgow.

Have a great trip.

Accommd in Ullapool

A bit late perhaps as the holiday season has been with us for a couple of weeks, but try the Harbour Lights, it is always popular with bikers and close to the village's pubs/music etc.
Good Luck.

M

+1 for the harbour lights and you can sit in the lounge overlooking loch broom drinking your own booze, perfect....

Hi Touring experts,

I wonder if anyone of you knowledgable guys on here can point me in the right direction.

Going on a three night tour of Scotland from Hessle-
Ive a 3 day tour I made up from Glasgow which was excellent a few years ago, If you PM me your email I can send you the garmin routes

Night 1 Fort William
Night 2 Ullapool
Night 3 Glasgow

Any recommendations of routes, Biker friendly places to stay, places to avoid etc. All hep much appreciated, really looking for great roads and a few beers on a night. Pretty experienced guys- there will be 4-5 of us. Travelling light- no camping.

Cheers

Bob

Ive a 3 day tour I made up from Glasgow which was excellent a few years ago, If you PM me your email I can send you the garmin routes

Back
Top Bottom