Gerardmer or Colmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice easy runs around some of the Vosges ski areas between Geradmer and here , its also on the wine route.

I've stayed there - it is very isolated so does not really fit the bill of having pretty places to visit/shop/ogle. Friendly place but the food is very simplistic and on two subsequent visits to the area I have stayed in Kaysersberg!

A mate and I got a chalet in Gerardmer one year, for a week - found the town to be pretty good. Great chalet too.

Good central location from memory, the only issue with the roads in the area are the tree roots causing splits in the road surface with the attending overbanding. You could come round a bend and find almost every line - overbanded :eek

There's only so many restaurants you can try.

Al

There is a lot of it in the region. Like ice when its raining and snot when its hot.

pretty ubiquitous throughout France - they even used it on a roundabout in Bourg St Maurice. That was a merriful front wheel slide...

I have ridden on roads that are about 50% banding - in hot weather it is not much more fun than wet as it gets all goey and makes the bike wander about all over the place.

Some changes of circumstance now mean there is the potential to hit some of the Black forest. Ive seen the Vosges / Black Forest tour on here and seen some interesting routes with one suggestion of stay in Titisee.

At the moment I'm playing with the idea of going from Calais to either Verdun or Bitche for the night, then on down to Colmar (at the moment for 3 nights). Now wondering weather to tour some of the southern Black Forest using Colmar as the base then head up to Baden Baden or Strasbourg via Germany for the night, then get back to Calais with a stop overnight night, maybe stopping off at Reims or via Bouillon.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed in Titisee? thinking of maybe one night less in Colmar and staying in Germany for a bit!

Cheers!

Some changes of circumstance now mean there is the potential to hit some of the Black forest. Ive seen the Vosges / Black Forest tour on here and seen some interesting routes with one suggestion of stay in Titisee.

At the moment I'm playing with the idea of going from Calais to either Verdun or Bitche for the night, then on down to Colmar (at the moment for 3 nights). Now wondering weather to tour some of the southern Black Forest using Colmar as the base then head up to Baden Baden or Strasbourg via Germany for the night, then get back to Calais with a stop overnight night, maybe stopping off at Reims or via Bouillon.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed in Titisee? thinking of maybe one night less in Colmar and staying in Germany for a bit!

Cheers!
Titisee is nice enough (if nothing else for being the ancestral home of the Stolz's), but I'm not sure I'd give up time in the Vosges to go there. More than enough to keep you occupied and the food is better.

Thanks! Do you think hitting some of the Black Forest is worth it while out that way, or better off playing in the Vosges?

From Titisee, you'll be predominantly looking / riding north into the Black Forest. Better perhaps to stay more centrally.

Somewhere closer to the middle will offer more points in the compass and more choice. Preferably, head for a town / large village on a crossroads. They grew up there for a reason.

Thanks! Do you think hitting some of the Black Forest is worth it while out that way, or better off playing in the Vosges?
I'm not entirely clear in what sens you plan to 'hit' the Black Forest, not in a VII Army kind of way, I trust.

Personally I'd stay in the Vosges/Alsace.

With 3 nights in a Vosges' base, giving 2 days to explore without luggage etc, then you will have plenty to see just in France. Save the BF for another trip.

With 3 nights in a Vosges' base, giving 2 days to explore without luggage etc, then you will have plenty to see just in France. Save the BF for another trip.

+1

Unless you really love moving on most days I would stick with 4 nights in the Vosges, you should be able to get two days great riding, I often enjoy doing a big loop in each direction - it is not the same ride, the corners are different, views are different and you can choose to stop at different cafe's / restaurants.

Trying to do too much will see you spending more time of lesser roads getting to and from the locations, and with such a short trip I am not sure it will pay off....

...but keep a couple of routes over into the Black Forest tucked in your sat nav in case you get a crap forecast for the Vosges and a great one for the BF.

Rasher, that's a genius idea! Think that's always been my touring problem, trying to fit too much in.

Really appreciate all the help and advice guys.

Flexibility. That's why I have never booked an hotel on a bike trip:)

I mix and match, if I know I plan to stay in one place for a few nights I prefer to choose the hotel in advance to get what I want / where I want - but normally with a last minute cancellation option.

I will also book the next nights hotel the day before quite often, now an internet connection is so easy to find, this allows me to make last minute choices based on how I feel / what the weather is doing, but without the aggro of hunting for a hotel at the end of the day.....

....but sometimes we really enjoy just riding until we see a nice place, especially when we have an easy days ride.

Hi Again,

Great having the ride guide to France coming out just before we go, its given us some more options. Originally, we had planned to get from Reims to Colmar via Verdun, on the d603, then through Parc Lorraine, towards Nancy then St Die Des Vosges, however the Ride route goes from Moussy down on the D966 to Neufchateau to St Die Des Vosges.

Has anyone done either of those routes? Theres only a half hour difference and a few extra miles in it. Just wondered what ones you may choose and why.

Many thanks
Dan

If you go via Nancy, at least take the motorway that bypasses the town. There is very little to recommend going through the place. Trust me.

As regards which of the two routes to take? At one time or another I have done both and / or combinations of routes similar. With both it's possible to say, "Yeah, but you missed xxx" or "You should have gone xxx". Hit a significant road closure and you'll be going a different way anyway. Pick one or the other and take it or create your own version, there is no perfect right and wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom