Gerardmer or Colmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep been to Verdun several times recently, from there to Colmar is very similar whichever way you go until you get closer to the Vosges, as Wapping has said bypass Nancy, but do try and spend time in Verdun if you can.

Hi Again,

Great having the ride guide to France coming out just before we go, its given us some more options. Originally, we had planned to get from Reims to Colmar via Verdun, on the d603, then through Parc Lorraine, towards Nancy then St Die Des Vosges, however the Ride route goes from Moussy down on the D966 to Neufchateau to St Die Des Vosges.

Has anyone done either of those routes? Theres only a half hour difference and a few extra miles in it. Just wondered what ones you may choose and why.

Many thanks
Dan

Hello Dan

The routes all evolved bit by bit but are by no means definitive. Why does the route you're looking at go from Moussy to Neufchateau to St Die? Well, Moussy is a good overnight stop and there's a nice cafe in Neufchateau (no doubt more than one). Calais to the Vosges a route I've done fairly often in the past ten years or so - taking different paths across Northern France - and while I try to make a point of stopping somewhere different each time because you don't learn anything new by going to the same places all the time, there are some good roads that crop up again and again, because they're good ways to link points A and B; sometimes I just fall into using particular ones because I know them and enjoy riding them - but I haven't ridden every road in France so there may be better alternatives I haven't tried! (If you find one, email the office and let me know - I'll add it to the list).

There are other routes in the guide there that do go through Verdun (many, in fact, as it's a great place to stop). With the circular tours, some go through Verdun on the way out from Calais; others go though it on the return to the port; some don't go through it at all.

When putting together a guide with multiple routes, the important thing is to actually have multiple routes: if I'd out in only one route from Calais to the Vosges, it would have be pointless. There's no "best" route - though one route may be better for some folk than others. And while I tried to include as many options as possible, with different-length days using different combinations of roads, it'd be impossible to include every option. But then, they're meant to be a starting point: you'll have a great ride following the route, but you might have a better time if you adapt it to suit you. If that one doesn't go where you want to go, change it so you go there!

Simon W has summed it up well.

When supplying any 'Here's a great route from A to E via B, C and D and great places to stop along the way' suggestions there will always be some sort of compromise going on and therefore an opportunity for yet another person saying, "But by going that way you have missed out on the D123ABC it's awesome".

Similarly, if the A to E route only goes via C as there's a great biker friendly hotel to spend the night in, it might well be irrelevant if the rider is passing through at 11AM. Then indeed the fellow might have been better off missing out C and deviating to ride the awesome D123ABC instead.

Take RiDE's suggestions (and / or anyone else's) then mix and match them to the reality of what YOU the rider wants to do on YOUR holiday.

I just set a basic trip make sure I got a full tank and then if I wander off a little or a lot, it usually pays off as I have always found something nice, I hate organised trips like being on a cruise ship.

Take RiDE's suggestions (and / or anyone else's) then mix and match them to the reality of what YOU the rider wants to do on YOUR holiday.

This is how most of my trips have been planned / unfolded. Take an idea, find some routes and recommendations, hack them all up and make them into motorcycling's equivalent of Frankenstein's monster, bugger off and enjoy the result.

Generally I blast through Northern France to get to where I really want to be quicker, but if I have some time to spare (i.e. would rock up at the next hotel mid afternoon) I then try and find some back roads to break the monotony up a little.

Towns are always avoided unless I am staying there, or it is a particularly small town in an uncongested area (Luxembourg springs to mind here, never much traffic anywhere) and will make for a good lunch stop, outside of eating / sleeping requirements I rarely see a reason to go through a town unless going around it will take significantly longer on relatively dull roads.

Hey All,

Massive thanks for all the help. We had a great time and other than the always horrific wind blast of the A26, the roads were great. Ironically, the bike shop destroyed the sat nav cable so we ended up slightly free styling and it was ace. We adapted the ride routes to suit us and that combined with a few wrong turns made for some great routes.

If any one is interested, the D913, D3 and D603 travelling from Reims to Verdun were excellent. The D904 just past Verdun and to Toul had nice views, not amazing imo but good enough. St Die Des Vosges to Colmar via D415 was fun.

In the Vosges, we both really enjoyed the D417, Colmar towards Germarder. The road, the views, everything was perfect.

The D430, Route de Cretes, was fantastic.

A wrong turn on to the D416 was a proper stroke of luck and made for one of the best days riding.

We came back via Saverne, ok place, Incredible restaurant, Le Marne, best food of the trip. Modded the Ride route to pick it up back to Verdun. The D28 had been resurfaced in the crappiest gravel known to man, the Blackbird did not appreciate that, still some great roads and views.

The Ride Routes were great. We rode from Verdun, to a small village near Ardres, and used the D roads to get to Calais, D213 and D127. Ok, not longs roads, but surprising fun!

Will post pictures if anyone is interested.

We loved Colmar, Kaysersberg, and Verdun (we always enjoy Reims.)

Gerardmer was bit of a let down for us, but maybe we just got there at the wrong time.

Vosges, will be heading there again!

Thanks
Dan

My suggestions form 2 extremes:-

1) Concentration camp at Natzwiller Struthof - the first and foremost on French soil - oddly placed on the top of a small mountain. This camp did not make me come over all peculiar - but I made a point of not going near the crematorium which is on a remote site slightly down the hill.
2) The Jos. Nussbaumer liqueur distillery at Steige.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom