Whaaaaat!! No Wheelies? I'm out.

Apex

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Second test ride on a 1290 Adventure today. Try as I might (and this is the second multi-attempt) the front doesn't stay up for more than a second or so. Once, the bike said...."No...STOP...Thats it, I'm OUT", stalled in the process and on screen told me I was behaving in an 'illegal' fashion. :blast

For a start, the odd wheelie is fun and therefore cannot be considered illegal...just a warm emotional moment between bike and rider...so long as all goes well and you're by yourself in a deserted road.

I don't need the anti-wheelie police here, just need to work out why you can't switch it to wheelie mode. The 1290 SDuke has a 'track pack' which, when installed, has the desired effect. This is probably Euro 4 silliness.

Worth mentioning that we'd sat down, sorted options/colors/bling, only to be told the wheelie thing isn't happening 'yet'. It's a show-stopper for me so it's all on hold! :blast

You can switch all the safeties off to the point it will flip you and pile drive you into the ground before you can say shit. If your dealer couldn't tell you that then go find one that knows what he is talking about!

You can turn all the gizmo's off
You know

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Second test ride on a 1290 Adventure today. Try as I might (and this is the second multi-attempt) the front doesn't stay up for more than a second or so. Once, the bike said...."No...STOP...Thats it, I'm OUT", stalled in the process and on screen told me I was behaving in an 'illegal' fashion. :blast

For a start, the odd wheelie is fun and therefore cannot be considered illegal...just a warm emotional moment between bike and rider...so long as all goes well and you're by yourself in a deserted road.

I don't need the anti-wheelie police here, just need to work out why you can't switch it to wheelie mode. The 1290 SDuke has a 'track pack' which, when installed, has the desired effect. This is probably Euro 4 silliness.

Worth mentioning that we'd sat down, sorted options/colors/bling, only to be told the wheelie thing isn't happening 'yet'. It's a show-stopper for me so it's all on hold! :blast

You are my new role model. I neither want nor need a manufacturer telling me that the option to lift the front wheel has been taken out of my control and it'd be a show stopper for me as well.

You can switch all the safeties off to the point it will flip you and pile drive you into the ground before you can say shit. If your dealer couldn't tell you that then go find one that knows what he is talking about!

Of course...I turned abs/traction OFF. Not that silly. You couldn't hold a wheelie regardless and when KTM were phoned and asked (I was present) they said you can't switch it off. There's software (track) for the SuperDuke, nothing for the Adventure though. I've always fancied a 990 SMT...I suspect that bike wouldn't have this issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what about the
"off-road" dongle
Doesn't that keep the settings you made?
So if you turn all the gizmo's off the dongle keeps those settings
Wheelie's galore
Just watch a video
Of Chris Birch on the R
The R and the S have the same settings I am led to understand.

Just because a dealer says it happens a certain way doesn't make it true.
Sometimes you wonder if ktm importers actually have a clue on what going on themselves

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

As above, the R can hold a wheelie, as demonstrated by Chris Birch, so as this bike is the same, I'm sure there's a setting to allow them.

I agree. One imagines giving Chris Birch a bike that doesn't wheelie wouldn't make much of a photo shoot.

Other than the wheelie thing, how did you like the bike? I'm currently away on mine, mainly sticking to tiny back roads (doing a 250 mile costal tour of Cornwall today), and am loving this bike.:beerjug:

And the dealer forgot to set the running in rev limiter on mine, so it'll rev right to the red line! :green gri

One interesting thing, the KTM feels faster at 70/80 than the GS. The GS feels more serene and planted. Go figure. Also, I was happy to have the GS brakes back when I got back on it. Not impressed at all with the 1290 ones. I'd probably look to swap them out for M50 calipers if I bought one as I like one finger braking.

Also, I was happy to have the GS brakes back when I got back on it. Not impressed at all with the 1290 ones. I'd probably look to swap them out for M50 calipers if I bought one as I like one finger braking.

So what are the ones on the 1290?

Brembo's but not top spec ones. It may be that it's the ABS setup.

Brakes on the 1190 are definitely not as sharp as the GS range, and it looks like the same kit on the 1290s.

My last bike was a 65 Plate GSA and i think the brakes are spot on in the 1290SA S. I was worried as the demo bike seemed to have wood in the brake pads but my own bike is great.

But need to try the ergo seat as my arse is sore after 100 miles.?

Apart for that its GRRRRRRRR8

No solution to this yet then? I've found one :bounce1

I've bought a 990 SMT instead. Wow! LOVE IT! Like the 690 SMC-R only more powerful and all day comfortable. Amazingly balanced and suspended bike. And...it wheelie's on demand. £7,400 + some required extras probably end up £9k for a storming bike. That's a saving of £8k on a 1290S and I reckon it's value won't change a great deal. I now don't need the 690 which went for £5850 in less than an hour, so everything is right with the world. Sometimes stuff just works out. :beer:

Back
Top Bottom