10KG maximum weight in aluminium panniers

Flaming T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
QQ please guys & girls..

This is my first time away on the GSA and have the aluminium panniers and top box. Panniers advise 10KG max weight for each and top box of 5KG. is this recommended or 'strict'. Just a general question as assuming you could, if need be, take more without any issue.

Appreciate your comments, confirmation etc. :beerjug:

QQ please guys & girls..

This is my first time away on the GSA and have the aluminium panniers and top box. Panniers advise 10KG max weight for each and top box of 5KG. is this recommended or 'strict'. Just a general question as assuming you could, if need be, take more without any issue.

Appreciate your comments, confirmation etc. :beerjug:
It's probably advisable due to mounting points and not putting strain on them. BMW covering themselves I expect. I would probably stretch up to 12 but not much more to be on safe side as panniers are weighty anyway.

It's probably advisable due to mounting points and not putting strain on them. BMW covering themselves I expect. I would probably stretch up to 12 but not much more to be on safe side as panniers are weighty anyway.

Thanks Traffic.... I was thinking as much but needed to hear it from others too. :thumb2

I told the wife that her pannier is limited to 7kg because it's smaller, stops her taking so much.:D:thumb2

Never bothered weighing the contents. Just filled them with clothes, wash kit, padlock and chain etc.

Wouldn't recommend filling them up with lead weights though.

I'm sure if you use common sense you will be fine.

Yep just use common sense. You can see panniers with top bags under bags and xtra liquid storage bottles fire extinguishers deep fat friers+++++ stuck all over them. You will be ok. JJH

I lost my complete top box and rear end once.....that was with a fully loaded box and doing jumps on Salisbury plain.....! You will be fine in normal use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never ever bothered weighing the contents, I just make sure that the lid can close sometimes whilst sitting on it.....

then I strap the camping kit to the lids. Tough old beasts these GSAs

:beerjug:

Many thanks all.... much appreciated. My mind is at ease.

Same here just load it, a good point though, the suggested weight is the capacity and dpes not include the weight of either box or frames.
The only ones ive ever heard of getting damaged were on serious adventure travel and then it was due to multiple off's. Also the bmw expandable ones as they are only plastic.
When we go away we load the boxes to max then have touretech bags on the lids plus 2 litre petrol cans on one and two litres of water on the other. Then the roll bag goes across the seat and sits on top of the lot... never had a problem in eight year's....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yep just use common sense. You can see panniers with top bags under bags and xtra liquid storage bottles fire extinguishers deep fat friers+++++ stuck all over them. You will be ok. JJH

No doubt they will tell you that all those are not inside the box so they don't count

110 V transformer, submersible pump, tools in one,
10 Kg chemical drum, test kit, vac hose & tools in other.
Top box full with PPE,
10 m hose, surveyors ladder and aquavac on seat
Not had a problem over last 10 years - heavier on twisties and when slow riding and not ideal for filtering through Blackwall tunnel

the boxes themselves weigh around 7.5 kg each so that would leave you with 2.5 for the contents

Hi
i always weigh mine to check, My wives pannier normally about 17kg, Mine about 10kg, plus sodding great dry bag on the back, can't say the bike struggles,but do notice sometime when filtering, Bike tends to want to wander sometimes:augie
Dave :thumb

Back
Top Bottom