Thread: Zumo 550 Not locating satellites

Zumo 550 Not locating satellites

My Zumo 550 has decided to keep trying to locate satellites. We were using it over Easter in the car and in the middle of a trip it just went into "Locating satellites" mode and wouldn't do anything else. After about 20 miles or so it managed to locate satellites and resumed functioning.

This weekend I was doing RevUp4DSI. It functioned fine from home to the start. The routes for the weekend were loaded and away I went. About 5 miles later in the middle of the M50 it went that way again and has stayed like that ever since.

Is there some magic reset or has it just suffered one too many bumps on the noggin? I have a spare but I have lifetime maps on this one and would like to keep it.

TIA
    Just shoveling the shit one spadeful at a time.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Google:

Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil.

Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ON.

Release the power button when the device powers ON.

It's generally the kiss of death for 550's, I'm afraid.

A few years ago I sold my 550 to a friend. He owned it for a couple of months, where upon it failed to locate satellites. I only happen to know this as by chance I was sitting next to him at the cafe in Cap Gris Nez when it happened. I remember asking him: "Who sold you this shonky pile of shite?"

The device was a long time out of warranty. My friend contacted Garmin, who sent him a reconditioned unit for a few quid. Whether you'd get the same excellent servive from Garmin on a 550 now, I have no idea. It's always worth asking them and / or seeking a repair (if it can be done at all) from an independent repair service. See sticky for details.

I had the same problem on my nav V a week ago on a preplanned route, I had to keep stopping and turn it off and on, never lasted more than a few minutes. Once the route had been completed and I then used it again normally it didn't go off once and is still OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    It's always worth asking them and / or seeking a repair (if it can be done at all) from an independent repair service. See sticky for details.
    +1. Garmin recently gave me worthwhile credit for a 2820 against a new Satnav.

I've just heard back from repairmydevice.com that it is officially a brick. Screen comes on but it cannot locate any satellites.
    Guess I'll have to start using the spare which doesn't have lifetime maps.

next stop will probably be how to load open source maps.
    Just shoveling the shit one spadeful at a time.

Two and half months on and it's a brick, though the problem is solved.