What newish low/light GS for the vertically challenged?

ArwenX7

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I'm new here... and been thinking about getting one of the many varieties of GS as my first "big bike". I've ridden a few bikes during my training, and have been riding my little Honda MSX for the past two years. I'm in the lucky position that I can keep the MSX alongside another bigger bike in my garage. (It's perfect for my commute, dirt cheap to run and I love it).

What I want/need from a bigger bike is pretty much a "do it all" bike that has a relaxed, upright sitting position and I can comfortably hold it up with one foot (I've got short legs ~27" inseam, it's very rare I can get both feet on the ground at the same time! - I'm getting used to it). Nearly all road riding, however I would like to do some light off roading/trails at some point. But living in Scotland, with the lack of legal green lanes this is more of an issue... :-(
As I like the look of naked bikes, I've been drawn to the GS'es. Also partly due to my other half having a R1150GSA - I like it, but I cannot reach the ground at all and it is far to heavy for me!

For the past few months I've had my eye on the G310GS (due out in august apparently). This seems to tick all my boxes:
  • Light
  • Low seat option
  • Screen/luggage rack included
  • Easy to put heated grips/panniers on
  • Looks fab!
  • Is in budget

I've had a sit on the G310r (awaiting a test ride) and I can easily get my whole left foot on the ground, and it feels not much heavier than my MSX!

However... after a visit to BMW in Dalkeith, I now know I am just as comfortable on a 2017 F700 Rallye LS as I felt on the G310r. And that ticks most of the boxes too, plus some extra. So I'm going to get a test ride booked for that!
My questions however are:
Are there any draw back with getting the lowered suspension version rather than just a low seat on the standard version? (other than ground clearance).

From looking around the form here, there doesn't appear to be many issues with the 800cc engines, which is great! So how costly is maintenance for them? Part of the appeal of the G310 is that it should be less costly overall (mpg/service costs etc). The F700 is right at the top end of my budget (well, over it... but lets not focus on that too much!) so I will be taking running costs into consideration.

What are the changes from say a 2014 F700GS to a 2017 F700 Rallye? Do they have different seat heights? (I've googled and cannot find this out...) Is it purely cosmetic?

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm just rather excited I have potentially found a bike that fits me and feels easy to manually move around. However I do feel I really need to justify it as it is over the budget I set myself :)

I don't think you can have a centre stand with low suspension. You couldn't with the older version of the F650GS

you don't have to stick with bmw, there are plenty of options out there mostly a bit cheaper.

I know, I've tried a Tiger 800. And lowered, yes I can reach the ground with one foot ok, however it feels very heavy. If I had to wait for more than a few minutes at traffic lights/junctions I think my leg would get tired very easily.
I love the CCM450, its low and light, but worry about lack of a close dealership...
The Honda CB500X is too tall, and does not come with an option to lower it as far as I can tell. I'd rather not do some "home made" lowering unless I really have too.
A MT-07 is a possible still. It sits somewhere between the F700 and the 800 Tiger for me right now.

I'm open to suggestions however, any other models you would suggest?

I had looked at the F650gs, and sat on a couple. However one I could get off the side stand no bother, the other felt really heavy and difficult to get off the stand. Not entirely sure why, they were different years however.

F700 low chassis plus low seat will make you tower over the bike and feel great. Downsides no main stand as stated above BUT in my opinion biggest issue is total all up weight drops from 230 kgs to appx 150kgs.
Absolutely no issue if its a rider only bike , but needs consideration if you are planning two up plus luggage

Hmm thanks for that Steve. I didn't notice that on the blurb. I doubt I'll ever ride two up to be honest. But touring yes.
:)

Cheers Arwen, cant find the exact specs but google them. I hired a low chassis std seat bike in Malaga last year. It was superb in terms of feet down, Im 29" inside leg. But two up appx 160kgs it crashed a bit over sharp / potholes, I think that was it at its limit.

Ps a F700 will be a better all rounder than a 310, the engine is fantastic, people on here are seeing 120,000 miles plus, so its durability is a given.

Have a look around for an 08 onwards Factory Lowered F650GS, my wife is 5'00" and has had hers since new. You can always pick up a standard seat to raise you up a bit if required.

Just had a little look at the VStrom, I like that it comes in yellow :)
I think there is a Suzuki dealer reasonable near me so I may go have a look if they have one. However it seems once you add on lowered seat and heated grips it comes to much the same price as the F700 rallye :-/
I'll go have a look on autotrader too. Cheers guys!

Hi Arwen
Just put my 700GS up for sale on here yesterday. Not sure if you have seen it. It's not lowered but just thought I would give you the heads up should you be interested. If not good luck with your searching. Good bike the 700GS imo.

Thanks Gordyman, my partner has a paid up account on here so I'll ask him for a look at the ad later on :)

Hi Arwen

Maybe a bit out there, but have you considered the Street Scrambler ?

The new bonneville range are top notch bikes, great finish, ride very well and happen to have low seats

I do really like the "retro" (for want of a better word...) looking scramblers that are coming out. However I think they look a bit strange with a screen. I know I'm going to partly contradict myself here, I like naked bikes, but for what I want from this bike I think I'd prefer a screen on it just to make long boring motorway/dual carriage ways a bit more bearable. Plus, the F700 seems much more bike for the money!

If however I could have three bikes in the garage... well then. The decision would be which scrambler! :-D

Just had a little look at the VStrom, I like that it comes in yellow :)
I think there is a Suzuki dealer reasonable near me so I may go have a look if they have one. However it seems once you add on lowered seat and heated grips it comes to much the same price as the F700 rallye :-/
I'll go have a look on autotrader too. Cheers guys!
i'm not pushing the vstrom and i can see why you like the f700 as i wouldn't mind a 800gt but you can lower the suspension of the suzi for less than £100 leaving you with the standard seat which is likely more comfy. lush racing do lowering links.

The lowered F700GS is a lovely bike and easy to ride.
if you like it, there is no reason not to buy one.
Alternatively the F650 GS twin was also available as a lowered bike.

Have you looked at a newish Kawasaki ER6 N/F? My wife is only 5'2" and loves hers! Hers is a 15 reg.

So I went and took a F700GS Rallye out for a test ride at the weekend. Oh what a pleasure it is to ride! Can't quiet get away with how little vibration there is through the pegs and the bars compared to other bikes I have ridden recently. I was a bit dubious about ride by wire at first, but actually really like it. The throttle feels no "stiffer" than the throttle on my little MSX!

I had a try on both a standard height and a lowered height (changing seats around as well). Out for an hour or so on the lowered seat, I actually found it very comfortable. Plus if I get it with a low seat, I can always add something too it to make it more comfortable for tours. A higher seat is a bit more difficult to make low :) For now, I definitely feel better moving the lowered one around. The standard one with a low seat I could probably cope with, but struggle to get on and right it when it is on a small incline.

Sort of put my name down for a new Rallye LS, pending finance getting sorted (Deal runs out at end of June, bike not due to be here until July...)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom