2016 gsa rust issue

Just for balance, here are a few of my 2013, 21000 miles GS

Not been washed since last ride out.

Taken just now BTW.

Last edited:
Scoobert,
It's just corrosion everywhere, thats Salt damage, not BMW's fault. Lack of cleaning and maintenance.

Thats weird. My Jeep is 4 years old, has been to the beach, thru the salt water, thru 4' deep salt water, parked next to the bike, and is not rusting.
Why do you think the jeep can take the abuse for 4 years, and the BMW Motorcycle is not abused for 4-6 months and looks like a 1982 datsun?
I go to the beach all the time in the jeep. My bike has never been to the beach, in salt water, dropped. Its gets washed every few weeks. The jeep gets a wash every 6 months or so.
Paint, when applied properly, is impermeable. This is why when your car gets a scratch, it can rust at that spot. The paint was applied improperly to the motorcycle, or inadequately.
You can coat a painted surface with brine, apply heat, apply light, boil it in oxygen, it will remain unharmed as long as the integrity of the surface is not damaged.
Stone chips can cause rust. These are not stone chips.

18671405_10212862176657264_1244443908178912959_o.jpg

What ever is causing it, that's an appalling level of corrosion on a 7 month old bike. Even if the bike was seriously neglected from new (and I would suggest there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that,), I wouldn't expect my pride and joy to start looking like some ones "barn find" from the 1950's. Something seriously amiss here.......

Yes, the headlight randomly came unplugged under the fuel tank too, and the shifter disassembled itself.
The bike has had many quirks, but I started to ignore them after it started to rust out.
Only wish I did the lease, and didn't buy it.

Reject the thing; it's not even a year old. The "Lemon Law" and all that followed was brought about by an American consumer's champion, after all.

Unless there's something you're not telling us?

Reject the thing; it's not even a year old. The "Lemon Law" and all that followed was brought about by an American consumer's champion, after all.

Unless there's something you're not telling us?

Not sure we have such a thing here as "rejecting" the bike.
Your right, I have not told you everything, I have a my little pony decal on the back of the bike...
18738651_10212879901340370_2221306067896947741_o.jpg

Feeling good about yourself now? :p

After coming back to this thread this morning I thought I'd better have a close look at my Dec 66 plate GSA E4 and damn it looks good, no rust or paint bubbles and it gets used daily with over 4k on the clock.

I really can't understand why you don't just take it back and get it sorted.....:bash

After coming back to this thread this morning I thought I'd better have a close look at my Dec 66 plate GSA E4 and damn it looks good, no rust or paint bubbles and it gets used daily with over 4k on the clock.

I really can't understand why you don't just take it back and get it sorted.....:bash

There is a process here. It's called the dealer drags it's feet, and hopes you forget. I am in contact with someone in corporate now, and things have started moving again. Slowly.

Fyi, this issue was first reported to them in my 6th week of ownership, I was told to use a chore boy and remove the rust.

Scoobert,
It's just corrosion everywhere, thats Salt damage, not BMW's fault. Lack of cleaning and maintenance.

It's hard to think there's not some truth in this post. I'm not suggesting that there are no corrosion issues with any GS LC and had, say, the frame been rusting whilst other components looked relatively untroubled, that may be indicative of poor materials or poor prep/paintwork on BMW's part. However, in the photos, items from many sources are all similarly affected. It seems unfeasible to me that the painted parts, chromed and anodised sections of the fork, the exhaust downpipes, the various nuts and bolts, crash bars, other accessories, you name it, all came together as rogue items from various sources in various different materials and finishes, and just happened to be assembled into the same rogue motorcycle. There's a common cause here, and it therefore seems most likely to be a post assembly issue.

It would be easy to gain the impression that that this bike has been badly treated and/or neglected, since there are no parts which look to be well cared for - even the plastic bits are dirty and look shabby. That said, whilst it certainly doesn't appear to be a lovingly cossetted garage queen, I'm surprised that any bike from a reputable manufacturer can end up in that state quite so quickly - however it's been treated. Nevertheless, other known issues apart, perhaps there is still hope that, with a modicum of care, our bikes are not all about to suffer a similar fate.

Say you bought a brand new BMW R1200 GSA and was told to get the bike into THAT condition in 7 months.. (for whatever reason you might imagine).

To do it, I'd have to jet wash it in detergent to remove any wax or grease protection.

Ride it through warm salt mixed water at least every two weeks and leave it unwashed. Trying to keep any water on it warm for as long as possible.

Then jet wash it in detergent every month just to expose any flaking paint or plating.

Then keep exposing it to warm salt mixed water.

It'd be a challenge though in that time.

But as the OP is a Chemist he would know the fastest possible route. Pity he didn't apply his knowledge to save the bike. It didn't happen overnight.

Don't forget letting a muppet at the car wash loose on it, Hi pressure detergent filled hot water. The corrosion would have been evident fairly early on yet he carried on regardless.
I wonder what the bike would look like if the OP had emptied a can of WD40 over it after each wash.

Something odd going on there, it looks more like an environmental attack or as though it's been washed with a very caustic cleaner.
I say this because different parts and different metals are suffering not just the steel frame but the chrome forks too, also the engine bars....very odd?

I definitely blame the hand car wash guys. Looking at the areas covered, that will have been caused by a high pressure washer blasting acidic products all over the bike. You've told us the products they say they use, but are you 100% sure that they've never used any other products?

Back
Top Bottom