Is there anyway for fix the rattle?

KP100

Reaction score
I love my GS but I hate the rattle it makes in neutral. With the clutch out.

I have narrowed it down to the clutch push rod. I checked by taking off the slave of the warm bike and pulling out the rod a few inches. Then started her up. Silent.. The only sound was the lovely sound of the motor.

I have changed the felt on it twice now with zero effect. Greasing the shaft made it slightly better for about 5 mins.

What is the pushrod hitting off to make the rattle? Could it me modified or fixed to cure the rattle it makes. Even thought about getting another made up with a slightly increased diameter. But im still not sure what is making it bang and slap..

It can disappear one min and come back the next.

Any ideas?

I spoke to the dealers about this issue, I think it is either part of the clutch or the gearbox input shaft. Apparently both covered under the Insured Warranty, both probably expensive if not :(

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had an 08 bike that started the clutch rattle at around 20k, it was no worse at 60k when I sold it. Not sure if the pushrod can be changed with box in situ, but if not I certainly wouldn't be looking at replacement unless the clutch itself needed changing. Earplugs help :thumb2

It's the gearbox. Mine does the same. Clutch checked with gearbox removed. and it's all working fine.
The fix is to strip the gearbox fit new bearings and correctly shim the input shaft end float. While in there replace the torque damper.

Clutches rattle when lever is pulled in.
You can easily change clutch pushrod and slave cylinder just remove the rear wheel. It will have all of zero effect on the rattle.

It's the gearbox. Mine does the same. Clutch checked with gearbox removed. and it's all working fine.
The fix is to strip the gearbox fit new bearings and correctly shim the input shaft end float. While in there replace the torque damper.

Clutches rattle when lever is pulled in.
You can easily change clutch pushrod and slave cylinder just remove the rear wheel. It will have all of zero effect on the rattle.

The thing is, I did remove the slave and pulled the shaft out a bit. Then ran the engine with it pulled out. The sound disappeared. I could not remove the whole pushrod as the shock needed to come out and I did not have the time.

Just to confirm. This sound in with the clutch lever out and untouched. Noise disappears when I pull it in. And if I snap the clutch lever in and out a few times, its can also make the noise disappear. I dont think it is the box in my case .. Although I did suspect it for a long time.

Incidentally, do you think shimming the input shaft is a DIY job?

Right. Im thinking of replacing the gearbox or the input shaft. Which is a bit drastic. But I cant live with this noise. Its broken.

I first have to get my head around it.

I see the input shaft has some kind of spring loaded damper on it. I wonder if that is the problem. Bendy, you believe it may be shims? Did you just buy a new input shaft? They are around 500 quid I believe.

Your reasoning is flawed....

Think about it How would taking a solid length of alloy back a little inside a hollow tube, cure a rattle??

If it was gearbox bearings it would STILL rattle

So its clutch diaphragm or Clutch slave cylinder

Things you can try

Good Earplugs!

Synchronise the throttles at tickover

Greasing the clutch release bearing in clutch slave

Heavier oil in gearbox

And if those fail applying the slightest pressure on the lever at lights and junctions, in fact you could try this first but I'd pack the slave cylinder with some nice high melting point grease first

Believe me you Do NOT want to start messing splitting these bikes and gearboxes

I had a customer that had the same rattle when the bike was hot, I told him that there were a few that did it and its very very hard to isolate

He spent £1000 between a clutch pack change and a gearbox rebuild (with someone else) and it was STILL there a clutch pack for the 1200 will set you back £400 or thereabouts and its twice as long to do because of some "nerd arsed cockwombles" who just "designed" a package rather than just tweaking the 1150 design which you can split and do "quite" easily by lifting the rear subframe up

I have tried heaver oil . I think it made it worse tbh. But the sound is intermittent . Its hard to tell. I can dip the clutch a few times at lights and the noise goes away completely when I let the clutch out again. Can any of the other things to try with the grease be done without a strip?

This is my bike. I pull in the clutch half way through the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YofSHCYSoUQ

That would do my head in too! hope you get it resolved

Doesn't sound good that. Mine doesn't sound anything like that.

That's terrible :duno

Sounds like an old Massy Ferguson, I couldn't live with that...

Hope you sort it soon mate

Sounds like some excessive shaft end float, a job for Mikeyboy.

Its had two new rod felts. I have bought a cheap second hand push rod so to compare the lenghts on each. I also suspect the rod may be bent. I hope. But its wishful thinking.

I suspect a second hand gearbox will be on the cards to be honest.

Does the 2004 GS use the same gearbox as the Adventure model, up to 2008?

Mine rattles. The clutch was checked (when I had the rear subframe away for powder coating) - nothing wrong with the clutch

Push rod felt and slave cylinder replaced - no change to the noise. I mean none-what-so-ever.

Rattle has now got to the stage that it's there when I coast in neutral with engine running. It's always there in neutral with clutch lever out.

Solution is a rebuild or more likely a used low miles gearbox.

I seen a few boxes on ebay. Pricey . but its not sellable like this. I was saving for new shocks. Guess rhats out the window.

Premium quality from a premium manufacturer?? Yeah right, reading storys like this makes me glad that I traded mine for another make. Dont get me wrong, I thought my GSA was the mutts, but i didnt want to have to start ticking off the long list of things that go wrong with a lot of these bikes in the future. Cant argue that they are great to ride but ffs the amount of things that go wrong with them,things that never happens to Jap bikes is unbelievable. Ive had my last BMW for sure and that makes me sad but on the other hand Ive moved onto what should be trouble free motorcycling for whats left of my biking life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom