Changes in routing

Note: Posts #17 / #20 I copied from a parallel thread, as they might well help the OP

Richard

i cant explain it,other weired thing is when the route is transferred to device there are masses of flags along the route that i didnt mark as waypoints of anything for that matter,but the route is spot on

That's a track not a route

That's a track not a route
eh well its a route i plotted how does that differ from a track he asks confused?,if i plotted a "route" in tyre and transfered it why does that make it a track and not a route?

Some bods prefer creating routes in Google maps, over using Garmin maps, so they use Tyre / Motogoloco. It's all down to personal preferences. Just like some bods sometimes like Open Street maps over Garmin maps and BaseCamp over Mapsource and visa-versa.

That their choice sometimes brings with it other problems, is another matter entirely.

There are no problems brought about by using Mapsource with Garmin maps, none! Mapsource is still available to download from Garmin. It really is down to preference in that case. I just wondered what this other systems does that is different/better, your reply does not address that.

John

eh well its a route i plotted how does that differ from a track he asks confused?,if i plotted a "route" in tyre and transfered it why does that make it a track and not a route?

Masses of flags as described = Track. No idea why as I don't use this software.

I've noticed the same with motogoloco. Does anyone know how the Nav deals with avoidances on routes planned in motogoloco? If you plan a route avoiding all motorways, and sticking to back roads in motogoloco, and have curvy roads/ avoid motorways on the device, I noticed at the weekend that it still routed us through towns/ down roads that I definitely didn't plan.

Curvy roads changing the planned route?

You plot it as a route in Tyre / MotoGoLoco or whatever Google map based third party software you decide to use to plot your holidsy / day out.

You call it a route and as far as the third party software is concerned, it is indeed a route from A to B. But.... and now comes the tricky bit.... you have to get it from your PC into your Garmin device, a device that is capable of running all sorts of routes, providing that it's in a format that the device understands.

When you export the 'route' as you are calling it from MotoGoLoco / Tyre you are finding that your beautiful 'route' is being changed into a track or something that your Garmin is seeing as track. This confuses the hell out of the dumb device but it tries its very best to help you by displaying a load of straight lines perhaps. You then ask the device to make the straight lines squiggly, just as you imagine they should be, using windy roads. The device now breathes a huge sigh of relief as it can now make a recalculation of your 'route' (which is actualy a track) and it does it. Bingo! One route on your device which will, dependant on a whole bunch of other factors like maps, preferences, the position of the moon and the time in Umbongilsnd, will - as near as the device can manage - match your 'route', which was never (at least as far as Garmin is concerned) a route in the first place.

But there's still a bit more... your 'route' which was actually a track, brought with it a load of invisible dots strung out between A and B. You can't see these but the all seeing Cyclops eye of that very stupid Garmin GPS device can see them. It then (because it is very, very stupid) decides that these invisible dots are of some importance (they are, but don't let that bother you) so it sticks a flag on them.

How do you avoid all this?

Well, it's easy:

1. Stop using third party software to plot your routes. Start to use Garmin based maps, as what came free with your incredibly expensive but incredibly stupid BMW branded Navigator VI, as a part of the BaseCamp / Mapsource software package.

2. If you can't, won't, refuse, object to the point of vein bursting apoplexy to do this, by all means continue to use MotoGoLoco / Tyre or whatever but export or convert the routes you create into .gpx file formats and everything should be straight forward thereafter. You might still get the flags but that's a whole different ball game. Just for now, try to do the simple stuff.

There are no problems brought about by using Mapsource with Garmin maps, none! Mapsource is still available to download from Garmin. It really is down to preference in that case. I just wondered what this other systems does that is different/better, your reply does not address that.

John

I know that and you know that, so no need for the explanation mark.

As to the advantages? The advantage, as far as the users of Tyre and MotoGoLoco see it, is they do not have to use Garmin based mapping as made available in BaseCamp and / or Mapsource, which they loath with a passion * They can use jolly nice Google maps, which they like, a lot. I can't see why but hey, that's freedom of choice: just like choosing Open Street maps over Garmin maps or Mapsource over BaseCamp and visa-versa. Sometimes there is just no accounting for it.

That the use of non-Garmin software then sometimes brings with it all sorts of other issues (for all sorts of diverse reasons) is another matter entirely.

An additional advantage I imagine, is that the use of Google based mapping enables them to easily interface with the Google search engine when looking for 'stuff'; a luxury that is not open to them easily in Mapsource or BaseCamp. There's a thread on it somewhere with some bod ranting that Garmin should become Google or something like that.

* Maybe because they have been assured that BaseCamp is crap and they believe it. Who knows?

You plot it as a route in Tyre / MotoGoLoco or whatever Google map based third party software you decide to use to plot your holidsy / day out.

You call it a route and as far as the third party software is concerned, it is indeed a route from A to B. But.... and now comes the tricky bit.... you have to get it from your PC into your Garmin device, a device that is capable of running all sorts of routes, providing that it's in a format that the device understands.

When you export the 'route' as you are calling it from MotoGoLoco / Tyre you are finding that your beautiful 'route' is being changed into a track or something that your Garmin is seeing as track. This confuses the hell out of the dumb device but it tries its very best to help you by displaying a load of straight lines perhaps. You then ask the device to make the straight lines squiggly, just as you imagine they should be, using windy roads. The device now breathes a huge sigh of relief as it can now make a recalculation of your 'route' (which is actualy a track) and it does it. Bingo! One route on your device which will, dependant on a whole bunch of other factors like maps, preferences, the position of the moon and the time in Umbongilsnd, will - as near as the device can manage - match your 'route', which was never (at least as far as Garmin is concerned) a route in the first place.

But there's still a bit more... your 'route' which was actually a track, brought with it a load of invisible dots strung out between A and B. You can't see these but the all seeing Cyclops eye of that very stupid Garmin GPS device can see them. It then (because it is very, very stupid) decides that these invisible dots are of some importance (they are, but don't let that bother you) so it sticks a flag on them.

How do you avoid all this?

Well, it's easy:

1. Stop using third party software to plot your routes. Start to use Garmin based maps, as what came free with your incredibly expensive but incredibly stupid BMW branded Navigator VI, as a part of the BaseCamp / Mapsource software package.

2. If you can't, won't, refuse, object to the point of vein bursting apoplexy to do this, by all means continue to use MotoGoLoco / Tyre or whatever but export or convert the routes you create into .gpx file formats and everything should be straight forward thereafter. You might still get the flags but that's a whole different ball game. Just for now, try to do the simple stuff.

ok once again thanks,im getting there slowly so one more prob dumb question,mapsource and basecamp whats the difference?

Curvy roads changing the planned route?

I tried curvy roads, fastest route & shortest route, and none of them stuck to the planned route.

Set to curvy roads, it kept trying to put us on dual carriageways for over 10 miles on one stretch.

ok once again thanks,im getting there slowly so one more prob dumb question,mapsource and basecamp whats the difference?

BaseCamp replaced Mapsource. Some love it & some hate it so it's your choice. The later only works with the Windows OS & it's not supported anymore. Both programs use the same maps as your device.

did you have avoid motorways unticked? I had the same experience until I realised that. Once unticked, curvy roads was awesome....
I tried curvy roads, fastest route & shortest route, and none of them stuck to the planned route.

Set to curvy roads, it kept trying to put us on dual carriageways for over 10 miles on one stretch.

did you have avoid motorways unticked? I had the same experience until I realised that. Once unticked, curvy roads was awesome....

No. Avoid motorways is ticked, as I want to avoid motorways. Is that incorrect?

BaseCamp replaced Mapsource. Some love it & some hate it so it's your choice. The later only works with the Windows OS & it's not supported anymore. Both programs use the same maps as your device.

ah thank you muchly,so base camp is the one to use ta

Oh and just to make it interesting a .gpx file can be both a route and a track, so add that to the equation and you can start to see how things can easily get lost in translation of one format to another.

Oh and just to make it interesting a .gpx file can be both a route and a track, so add that to the equation and you can start to see how things can easily get lost in translation of one format to another.

your not wrong there!,playing with base camp last night ended up with laptop being slammed shut in frustration,using the pencil to move the line around and then trying to zoom out to have an overview of where to go next seemed imposible?

Mapsource has never worked on a Mac so there is no choice but Basecamp if you use a Mac.

As for unsupported, I think this is a non issue. Mapsource works fine but has not changed for years so its not supported in the sense that it is not being continually adapted. If, like me ,you find Mapsource meets your needs it is a good option. If you like what Basecamp offers use that, both systems work so it really is a matter of what suits the individual. If a Mapsource user has a problem with an installed version of Mapsource they can still download a new working version from Garmin. So in effect that is exactly the same as having a problem with Basecamp. If your version of Basecamp went wrong you would need to download a new one from Garmin they don't support by offering help to fix the problem on your computer.

John

Back
Top Bottom